• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Brand Hierarchy?

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I've read your whole post history. At least every second post talks about Armani. No joke.

My finger's twitching over that report button but I just don't think you're a spammer. Just a diehard relatively ignorant dude.

i am just trying to change the perception and misunderstanding towards Armani
blush.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read your whole post history. At least every second post talks about Armani. No joke.

My finger's twitching over that report button but I just don't think you're a spammer. Just a diehard relatively ignorant dude.

Dude, he's European.

emptym

Reaction score
Imo, there are three levels at which it makes sense to spend my money, get good products, and support businesses, craftspeople, and social structures. Here's the order from inexpensive to expensive:

1. Thrift stores. Why? Many reasons, but the two most important ones to me are:
(a) First world, particularly US, societies are overladen with things. We have too much. We throw away too much. We destroy too much. Buying used things decreases this.
(b) Often, older things are better made, certainly for the price you'll pay at a thrift or even vintage store. Older cashmere sweaters are a great example of this.

2. Companies devoted to quality products. Quality can be defined in different ways. There's design, craftsmanship, durability, etc. Generally, companies devoted to quality are not known by the general public, because they don't spend much, if any, money on marketing. Some clothing brands that come to mind are Alden and Alfred Sargent for shoes, Samuelsohn and H. Freemen for suits.

3. Custom made. Here, the big advantage is that you get exactly what you want, hopefully. And, hopefully, you benefit from the personalized attention of someone with great training, experience, and love of what s/he does. The interplay between what you want and what the craftsperson thinks is best/possible is also a great learning experience, imo.

hst

Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Imo, there are three levels at which it makes sense to spend my money, get good products, and support businesses, craftspeople, and social structures. Here's the order from inexpensive to expensive:

1. Thrift stores. Why? Many reasons, but the two most important ones to me are:
(a) First world, particularly US, societies are overladen with things. We have too much. We throw away too much. We destroy too much. Buying used things decreases this.
(b) Often, older things are better made, certainly for the price you'll pay at a thrift or even vintage store. Older cashmere sweaters are a great example of this.

2. Companies devoted to quality products. Quality can be defined in different ways. There's design, craftsmanship, durability, etc. Generally, companies devoted to quality are not known by the general public, because they don't spend much, if any, money on marketing. Some clothing brands that come to mind are Alden and Alfred Sargent for shoes, Samuelsohn and H. Freemen for suits.

3. Custom made. Here, the big advantage is that you get exactly what you want, hopefully. And, hopefully, you benefit from the personalized attention of someone with great training, experience, and love of what s/he does. The interplay between what you want and what the craftsperson thinks is best/possible is also a great learning experience, imo.

I totally agree with this. I almost sworn off the major brands now (e.g. Prada and the like) and am retuning my wardrobe with higher quality products given I already have a reasonable collection of the basic staples.

ps: Awaiting the delivery of a BB by Alden shell tassels
smile.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome 1. Lurk and read more, post less. Assume that in the +50K members and +10 year history of the forum, whatever your question is, it's been asked and answered already. SEARCH. 2. Stop making new threads, unless they're really dumb/funny, or contain pictures of boobies. Repeat step 1. There's a big hierachy thread somewhere in the menswear section. edit - found it! http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=140387 You have a LOT to learn, you may also consider ignorance is bliss and quietley tip-toe out of here before you realize you know nothing, everything you own is junk, and everything you're supposed to want you can't afford. AE and Alden... well, I blame taht partly on the membership of the forum being more USA based. But it's becuase they're generally widely available, there's a wide selection of styles, they're the most basic entry level point for "real" shoes, and they're almost always available on discount for the same price as garbage shoes from the mall.
+1 and, Welcome to StyleForum darkbat.

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
i am not sure the whole hierarchy but i only know that for

suits Giorgio Armani is on top

dress Giorgio on top aswell

shoes well maybe jimmy choo

Are you a dude, a girl, a ***********er, or a ******? I am having a hard time figuring it out. Not sure how Armani suits will go with Jimmy Choo shoes
confused.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am not sure the whole hierarchy but i only know that for suits Giorgio Armani is on top dress Giorgio on top aswell shoes well maybe jimmy choo
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
Are you a dude, a girl, a ***********er, or a ******? I am having a hard time figuring it out. Not sure how Armani suits will go with Jimmy Choo shoes
confused.gif

Originally Posted by teddieriley
Dude, he's European.
I've read your whole post history. At least every second post talks about Armani. No joke. My finger's twitching over that report button but I just don't think you're a spammer. Just a diehard relatively ignorant dude.
Have you guys checked his blog. All will be clear within the first 5 seconds

laphroaig

Reaction score
Wow.
worship.gif
The Russian nouveau riche have started to tone it down a little, so now the Chinese have to take over as the purveyors of exorbitant kitsch?

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
Have you guys checked his blog. All will be clear within the first 5 seconds

laugh.gif

he is that short and skinny Malaysian dude with the elaborate hand gun concealing methods
facepalm.gif

dont shoot me please
inlove.gif

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every man is fool sometimes, none at all times.

lovelux2010

Reaction score

lol8[1].gif

3ff3z8e

Reaction score
Sigh,

Somehow when I read those few sentences in mangled english I had a feeling it was probably one of my former countrymen trying to show off to the world that he has more money than sense.
facepalm.gif

His blog somehow validated my suspicions....

Well, I've met plenty of them noveau riche and "wannabees" noveau riche back in college... Didn't take me long to figure out that brands like LV, gucci or prada are a symbol of middle class mediocrity...

OP I suggest you look around at the WAYWN threads to learn a little about what the true "elites" of styleforum consider as "good" brands (of which I am still an apprentice)... Some may be as pricey as those popular run off the mill brands like Armani, however there are plenty of decent brands that will not cost an arm or a leg which has quality equal to and sometimes better.

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3ff3z8e
Sigh, Somehow when I read those few sentences in mangled english I had a feeling it was probably one of my former countrymen trying to show off to the world that he has more money than sense. :Facepalm: His blog somehow validated my suspicions.... Well, I've met plenty of them noveau riche and "wannabees" noveau riche back in college... Didn't take me long to figure out that brands like LV, guccior prada are a symbol of middle class mediocrity...
its my money that i saved and i can spend however i like it what gives you the right to call people wannabe? is indulging in latest fashion is only for the "noveau riche?" if so instead of putting a price they should add another requirement that you have to be genuine "noveau riche" then only you have the right to purchase their product? from where i come from "wanabees" only purchase iphone,belts,entry level bags,sneakers that cost 500$-1000$ the thing that they thought can last forever and with obvious logo , they dont purchase ready to wear that cost 500$-700$ per piece that only to be worn once or twice that has to be filter out every seasons and yet no one will even notice or even know how much it worth so how is it pass of as being a "wannabe?" rich when people cant even tell nor see? this is in the country where people who take maximum 9 years loan to pay for stripped down "luxury cars" with no auto dimming light,no electric seat,no gps,no premium sound system, no auto folding mirror are seen as "wealthy" by the general population sigh i feel sad seeing a 9-5 white collar slave who think he made it in life just because they are working in first world country maybe all the time doing routine 9-5 job made them forget that they left the country because they failed to make it big back home
laugh.gif
(loser then still loser now) dont forget you are the bottom of the capitalism pyramid, we rule you , we fool you , we shoot at you , we eat for you remember even if am i begger i can buy all the Prada i want because its my money not yours and even if you have centurion card its not my problem it doesnt help me to pay for hermes saddle for me to sit on or armani casa for me to live in
Didn't take me long to figure out that brands like LV, guccior prada are a symbol of middle class mediocrity
not saying i can afford these but i dont see how middle class buys Tambour Automatic Diving , pink gold $22k usd or Gucci ,20$k Gucci / Prada long dress , yea i guess living oversea sure bringing you alot of bucks these stuffs are so for middle class mediocrity

junior varsity

Reaction score
its my money that i saved and i can spend however i like it what gives you the right to call people wannabe? is indulging in latest fashion is only for the "noveau riche?" if so instead of putting a price they should add another requirement that you have to be genuine "noveau riche" then only you have the right to purchase their product? from where i come from "wananbees" only purchase iphone,belts,entry level bags,sneakers that cost 500$-1000$ the thing that they thought can last forever and with obvious logo , they dont purchase ready to wear that cost 500$-700$ per piece that only to be worn once or twice that has to be filter out every seasons and yet no one will even notice or even know how much it worth unless they follow the respective brand runaways or they actually buying them so how is it pass of as being a "wannabe?" rich when people cant even tell nor see? sigh i feel sad seeing a 9-5 white collar slave who think he made it in life just because they are working in first world country maybe all the time doing routine 9-5 job made them forget that they left the country because they failed to make it big back home
laugh.gif
(loser then still loser now) dont forget you are the bottom of the capitalism pyramid, we rule you , we fool you , we shoot at you , we eat for you remember even if am i begger i can buy all the Prada i want because its my money not yours and even if you have centurion card its not my problem it doesnt help me to pay for hermes saddle for me to sit on or armani casa for me to live in

i know plenty of people with centurion cards (i got platinum sadly) and no way they dress in all gucci, fendi, prada... the chinese saying hidden dragon crouching tiger is correct - people who actually got the means, dont need to show it. but any how- stay classy, stay safe

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads