• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie: Brand Hierarchy?

darkbat

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this forum. Been doing searches and whatnots for the whole day and need some newbie guidance.

I don't consider myself to be especially stylish but do pay attention to what I wear. However, after discovering this forum it seems that I don't know anything after all.

I have a Hugo Boss suit, and I have some PRL & Brooks Brothers dress shirts and some custom shirts from a Shanghai tailor. For my day-to-day dress shirts I wear Banana Republic.

For shoes my best pair is a cap toe black leather Ferragamo lace-up, my day-to-day is usually Kenneth Cole.

I'm only in my mid-twenties if that's anything to consider.

So my question is, what are usually considered fine brands for these two categories. Specifically, I want to know how my brands match up in the general consensus of brand tiers. For instance, I always thought Ferragamo was the end-all-be-all to shoes, but it seems like it's rarely mentioned as opposed to AE and Alden. Are they on the same tier or are these two brands a level higher? Same thing with suits and dress shirts.

Thanks a lot.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkbat
Hi I'm new to this forum. Been doing searches and whatnots for the whole day and need some newbie guidance.

Based on your thread, I don't believe you have beeing doing ANY searches. All this info is at your fingertips and discussed ad nauseum. Sure it will take a few hours to wade through, but suck it up butter cup.

And welcome to the forum.

darkbat

Reaction score
Eh. I'd say I've learned a lot, since yesterday I didn't even know what cap toe meant, or that Alden shoes were awesome.

If you don't believe me try doing some searches yourself. It's very hard to get information for newbies because everyone already knows what they're talking about and there aren't many guides. I checked out definitive guide for slim shirt sticky and it's not really a newbie guide rather than a discussion between knowledgable people.

If you could just give a rundown of your knowledge here that'd be more appreciated.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E and Alden are mentioned because they are more acceptable to most people's budget. They are fairly low in the totem pole of men's dress shoe brands.

However, Brand hierachy is more a Streetwear forum. Since a lot of things people put on Men's Style threads are custom made by obscure makers. The top brands on this forum rarely overlaps with the top brands people in general would know about.

As for shoes, Trickster's, Crockett and Jones, Alden, Alfred Sargent, Grenson, etc. are all acceptable. Things like G&G, Edward Green, John Lobb (Paris) might be out of your sensibilities.

As for cloth, it is more about fit and tailoring than brands. You can get shirts that may cost $70-150 (such as ordering from Cottenworks) that fit you well, and it would be more SF approved than some tent of a shirt made by Prada.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Based on your thread, I don't believe you have beeing doing ANY searches. All this info is at your fingertips and discussed ad nauseum. Sure it will take a few hours to wade through, but suck it up butter cup.

And welcome to the forum.

dont welcome him.

i dont welcome you dude.

take off.
bye
sayonara
adios

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a search on suit hierarchy there was a really long thread on it. But for a quick rundown, and im leaving alot of really good brands out of this list mind you, but these are the famous ones

Suits:
Attolini (imo the very best RTW)
Kiton
Brioni
Oxxford

Shirts:
Kiton (hit and miss though)
Borrelli
Isaia

Shoes:
John Lobb Paris
Edward Green
Kiton
Vass

Note: this is a RTW LIST. I know there are gonna be 1 million replies saying, if its over $50 you should go custom blah blah but he was asking for brands not some tailor who made a fully custom suit for 2 bucks in hong kong.

darkbat

Reaction score
JamesX and jeff,

Thanks a lot. That was exactly what I was looking for.

I also found the suit thread specified and will go from there.

hermes man

Reaction score
i am not sure the whole hierarchy but i only know that for

suits Giorgio Armani is on top

dress Giorgio on top aswell

shoes well maybe jimmy choo

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
i am not sure the whole hierarchy but i only know that for

suits Giorgio Armani is on top

dress Giorgio on top aswell

shoes well maybe jimmy choo

Dunno why someone asking a question on the Mens Clothing Forum would want a dress, but when i need a new pair of shoes ill be sure to check out Jimmy Choo. You have any pics of yourself wearing a pair?

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeff13007
Dunno why someone asking a question on the Mens Clothing Forum would want a dress, but when i need a new pair of shoes ill be sure to check out Jimmy Choo. You have any pics of yourself wearing a pair?

i dont have any yet

maybe the next time i have my own inauguration as president of united state jimmy choo will give me 1 pair free

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome 1. Lurk and read more, post less. Assume that in the +50K members and +10 year history of the forum, whatever your question is, it's been asked and answered already. SEARCH. 2. Stop making new threads, unless they're really dumb/funny, or contain pictures of boobies. Repeat step 1. There's a big hierachy thread somewhere in the menswear section. edit - found it! http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=140387 You have a LOT to learn, you may also consider ignorance is bliss and quietley tip-toe out of here before you realize you know nothing, everything you own is junk, and everything you're supposed to want you can't afford. AE and Alden... well, I blame taht partly on the membership of the forum being more USA based. But it's becuase they're generally widely available, there's a wide selection of styles, they're the most basic entry level point for "real" shoes, and they're almost always available on discount for the same price as garbage shoes from the mall.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
At the apex?

Bijan.

- B

laugh.gif

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hermes man
l...

I've read your whole post history. At least every second post talks about Armani. No joke.

My finger's twitching over that report button but I just don't think you're a spammer. Just a diehard relatively ignorant dude.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads