• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
For anyone worried about obenauf'ing their plaza wingtips from leathersoul, don't be. Here's a pair of treated Wolverine 1000 mile rust, laceless treated wingtip, laced virgin wingtip, then virgin cigar shell. As I said previously I was a little disappointed the wingtip wasn't a richer brown like the site photos and am trying to darken them more towards the cigar brown. Hopefully as they age they will darken with further treatments.
oi7EY.jpg

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I'm hoping we can have this discussion without any attacks. I am very happy with the Chromexcel Plaza Wingtip Boots from Leather Soul. See that? HAPPY. I do, however, take exception to whatever methods they use to photograph and present them on their website. These boots are significantly a different color in person, as well as the photos that buyers have been submitting. I wish they were the color they appear to be on the Leather Soul site. This is not an attack on Tom, capiche? It's an informative post so future buyers can be aware that this discrepancy exists. The reddish ones are end user photos. The brown LT photos. As pictured above, I place these directly in the middle between rust and chocolate.
ykOmI.jpg

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zinman74
I am happy with my brown chromexcel NST Hawaiian Tankers as well, but like the wing tip boots, more reddish brown in person. Nice collection you have there! Which Obenauf product are you using?
Thanks. I'm using the heavy duty LP.
lNlvp.jpg

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edubs01
Queswtion for chukka owners....do you find that the height runs your ankle the wrong way. Years ago I had bought a similar type shoe and wore them once and hjad to return them b/c of the way they rubbed my ankle.
Try this. I'm a fan.
419DANF2QCL._SL500_AA280_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_AA280_SH20_.jpg

PeterParker

Reaction score
Regarding colour representation in photos, there will always be variation because of lighting conditions (colour temperature). Unless you're looking at your boots under the same light as that at the time LS photographed their boots, it will look different. For example, it looks like sockpuppets photos were taken in direct sunlight (possibly with flash too). Stamper1924's were taken indoors with what appears to be natural light and no flash. The LS photos look like they were taken under incandescent or halogen lighting, which most cameras struggle with for automatic white balancing (although LS probably has them professionally photographed so this should not be an issue). And then you get into cameras which is another can of worms... That being said, Stamper1924's photos look the most colour accurate for brown chromexcel to my eyes. Oh, and sockpuppets, those Cigar Indy's are amazing. If I didn't just pick up a pair of Alden cordovan boots those would have been the ticket. I'd love to see an Indy in brown chromexcel with all eyelets.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
I'm hoping we can have this discussion without any attacks.

I am very happy with the Chromexcel Plaza Wingtip Boots from Leather Soul. See that? HAPPY.

I do, however, take exception to whatever methods they use to photograph and present them on their website. These boots are significantly a different color in person, as well as the photos that buyers have been submitting. I wish they were the color they appear to be on the Leather Soul site.

This is not an attack on Tom, capiche? It's an informative post so future buyers can be aware that this discrepancy possibly exists.

The reddish ones are end user photos. The brown LT photos. As pictured above, I place these directly in the middle between rust and chocolate.

I appreciate the warning. I actually passed on these because I thought the LS pictures made the boots look a very dull chocolate brown. I think your pictures make the boots look 1000% more attractive. I hope you feel the same.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LynahFaithful
zippyh and GreatHighway - Thanks for sharing your pics. Great stuff.

no problem!

sockpuppets, i like the reddish tone to the chromexcel. thats more how my indys look IRL. It is less versatile as far as putting together an outfit but i feel it makes more of a statement than lets say cigar, which i also love, its just not as...flashy? i just use neutral boot cream on mine

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the photographs. I take every photo and I am no where near being a professional. I struggle since I am not trained.

Our more recent pics (from about April of this year) are all done in the shop under lighting with no flash. Our older pictures were done outside but of course the Hawaiian sun played a factor on the coloring back then as well.

I try my best to give a good representation of the color, of course this would be the actual picture versus looking at the shoe in my shop.

Sorry about the confusion.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Regarding colour representation in photos, there will always be variation because of lighting conditions (colour temperature). Unless you're looking at your boots under the same light as that at the time LS photographed their boots, it will look different.

Roger that. I have the same paint that looks like different shades in the same room depending on the time of day, particular wall or trim.

Anyway, Aldens are famous for changing shades and developing a nice, rich patina with some wear and polish. The only way to be sure of how a shoe, or anything else for that matter, looks is to see it in person.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Roger that. I have the same paint that looks like different shades in the same room depending on the time of day, particular wall or trim.

Anyway, Aldens are famous for changing shades and developing a nice, rich patina with some wear and polish. The only way to be sure of how a shoe, or anything else for that matter, looks is to see it in person.

I wonder if Tom has room on his couch for me.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
I wonder if Tom has room on his couch for me.

This statement may be open to speculation.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Sorry about the photographs. I take every photo and I am no where near being a professional. I struggle since I am not trained.

No problem at all Tom. It's very difficult to get an accurate shot. As more people get to see these newer colors in person, and more real-life photos show up online, this will become a non-issue.

I can't wait to see how the natural chromexcel longwings look in person. Is there any chance of having these made on a last besides the Barrie? I'm hoping they'll be a reasonable substitute for whiskey shell longwings (which are very difficult to find not on the Barrie).

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PeterParker
Regarding colour representation in photos, there will always be variation because of lighting conditions (colour temperature). Unless you're looking at your boots under the same light as that at the time LS photographed their boots, it will look different.

For example, it looks like sockpuppets photos were taken in direct sunlight (possibly with flash too). Stamper1924's were taken indoors with what appears to be natural light and no flash. The LS photos look like they were taken under incandescent or halogen lighting, which most cameras struggle with for automatic white balancing (although LS probably has them professionally photographed so this should not be an issue). And then you get into cameras which is another can of worms...

That being said, Stamper1924's photos look the most colour accurate for brown chromexcel to my eyes.

Oh, and sockpuppets, those Cigar Indy's are amazing. If I didn't just pick up a pair of Alden cordovan boots those would have been the ticket. I'd love to see an Indy in brown chromexcel with all eyelets.

I agree. I think I mentioned this before that it's all about white balance. Possibly a simple setting of a switch will fix this: Almost all digital cameras come with WB settings and Tom's environment looks like it's either incandescent or fluorescent lighting. There should be a setting for either/or. It will make a night and day difference. The photos above (Tom's) have a yellow cast over them, which usually suggests incandescent.

I agree that the sunlight photos make the boots look much nicer (like butta').
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads