• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Architecture Thread

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I've thought for awhile that MoMA should open a second location in Central Park that was exclusively for the permanent collection. That would allow the carnival to continue at the 53rd St. location for blockbuster exhibitions and allow a location that offered reduced fees which are caused from the exhibitions. Very few people going to MoMA are going to see both the exhibition and the permanent collection. The clumsy escalator circulation is more suitable for exhibitions because you could separate the exhibits by floor and not interrupt the experience by having to take a stupid escalator. Buzzkill. They also need the open views Central Park has to allow for more natural light and taller galleries.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
IMO they should open up something massive in LIC, not central park. It's 2 subway stops from the line that goes right in front of MoMA, it's cheaper land, Manhattan views, and they can have all the sunlight and space they wanted.

And having to take that escalator up to floor 6 to see new exhibitions is the worst.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think MoMA is the #4 arts institution in NYC, financially --- Met opera and Met museum are the only ones that are clearly bigger-timer. Lincoln Center has a slightly bigger budget than MoMA, but it's in the same ballpark. The public libraries have amazingly huge budgets. NYPL is the #3 overall non-profit after the two Mets.

But, it's also ironic that a museum for which design is a big collection is not designed so well.

If you're fascinated by such things, here's a list of the budgets in an Excel spreadsheet: http://www.crainsnewyork.com/section...Try=1279647654

--Andre

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
The cash assets of museums are trivial compared to their collectible assets. MoMA could have a $5 billion yard sale tomorrow if they wanted to.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
could somebody identify the building in the end of this video?
(It's on Manhattan)

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
487 Broadway @ Broome St.

3109789551_a9e4b79483_o.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Slate it is. I don't like the confusion above the altar, but the rest is great. A couple more churches in Finland.
lasilla-hir-chirch-04.jpg
lasilla-hir-chirch-01.jpg
lasilla-hir-chirch-03.jpg
lasilla-hir-chirch-02.jpg
lasilla-hir-chirch-08.jpg
sanaksenaho-ecumenical-art-chapel10.jpg
sanaksenaho-ecumenical-art-chapel3.jpg
sanaksenaho-ecumenical-art-chapel7.jpg
The thing that pisses me off is that none of these are expensive to build, but you'd never see anything of this quality in the U.S. You get this. "Hey guys, Welcome to Plano!"
planochapel.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PinkPantser
is that facade slate? looks nice, interiors seem off though
I agree about the interior. It looks gimicky to me. I can see a priest/pastor up there and it'll look like he has big bubbles erupting from his head thanks to those frills above the alter.
Originally Posted by StephenHero

The thing that pisses me off is that none of these are expensive to build, but you'd never see anything of this quality in the U.S. You get this.

"Hey guys, Welcome to Plano!"

Church is supposed to be boring inside and out!
blush.gif

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The thing that pisses me off is that none of these are expensive to build, but you'd never see anything of this quality in the U.S. You get this.
Wouldn't the cost of the architect alone on those buildings make them substantially more expensive than your garden-variety US church building? I don't disagree that the architecture of most US church buildings is sorely lacking, but those Finnish church buildings aren't very practical or usable. They need more usable space aside from just a sanctuary and it looks like the maintenance on those buildings would be difficult and/or expensive.

GlenCoe

Reaction score
Would I love to spend a weekend in here.
tumblr_l6dxfoEAtn1qcipy4.jpg

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know have a link for the architectural vacation home website? Im looking for a home in france.
google isnt my friend in this case.

thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads