• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreatHighway
score! mine are in the mail. Shoe Mart?

Yep. I went true to size. I've got a little over a thumb width in front of the toe but my width requires it. I hope they work out, they seem ok on ititial fit.

$675.
ffffuuuu.gif

arrow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Cool! What jeans are those?

Thanks dude... they're actually Carhartt Roper selvedge canvas pants (from Unionmade SF).

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
Yep. I went true to size. I've got a little over a thumb width in front of the toe but my width requires it. I hope they work out, they seem ok on ititial fit. $675.
ffffuuuu.gif

i also went true to size. trubalance last = comfort for my fat feet lol i like that they have lace eyelets all the way up edit - a pic of something i havent seen much of on here... #8 belt from Alden SF. burgundy cordovan shoes with a brown belt is ultrafail
frown.gif
op7bpd.jpg

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Here are my new AF53's.
Perfect fit. No flaws. Great service from Alden of Carmel. Happy Jason.
af53.jpg

Also, this is my first pair with commando soles. I gotta say I'm very happy with the comfort and look of them... My opinion is that commando is as comfortable as the plantation crepe, and it looks nicer.

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arrow
4901812187_9a44d70b1e_z_d.jpg

Guys can we go back to a more important discussion...
White socks for solidarity with Jason!

Yeah!
put the quality control controversy on hold.... people are wearing white socks around here!!!!

sockpuppets

Reaction score
i also went true to size. trubalance last = comfort for my fat feet lol i like that they have lace eyelets all the way up edit - a pic of something i havent seen much of on here... #8 belt from Alden SF. burgundy cordovan shoes with a brown belt is ultrafail
frown.gif

Haha cheers, I have fat feet as well. Slummin' it in D widths.
smile.gif
I also ordered the two stroke indys. I'm a nut.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
the thing about the QC issues, for me, is this: this isnt the proper place for it. take it up with the dealer it came from. and if nothing happens... try again. if still nothing, try again. posting your frustrations here does no good as you are complaining to people that may not necessarily have the same problem as you have. and, say, you do find someone with the same problem....great, now there are two of you. follow my original advice, both of you. dont post it here, please. for the record my aldens have no flaws. but if i end up finding one ,or even some, you guys wont hear about it. not because of what we all just read/went through, but because i know it is pointless. POINTLESS. i will solve my problem on my own time as i do with everything else.

this was not directed at anyone specific. just letting you know how i carry myself

blynch

Reaction score
the thing about the QC issues, for me, is this: this isnt the proper place for it. take it up with the dealer it came from. and if nothing happens... try again. if still nothing, try again. posting your frustrations here does no good as you are complaining to people that may not necessarily have the same problem as you have. and, say, you do find someone with the same problem....great, now there are two of you. follow my original advice, both of you. dont post it here, please. for the record my aldens have no flaws. but if i end up finding one ,or even some, you guys wont hear about it. not because of what we all just read/went through, but because i know it is pointless. POINTLESS. i will solve my problem on my own time as i do with everything else.

this was not directed at anyone specific. just letting you know how i carry myself

umm, this is an Alden discussion thread, talking about problems you've had with Alden shoes seems pretty appropriate. It isn't going to solve your shoe problem, but it helps bring awareness to the community of potential problems, and you may just need to vent to fellow alden buyers.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
A discussion about the quality control of Alden shoes in a thread titled "The official Alden thread" is more appropriate than the discussion and insults you guys have been flinging about said discussion. Having just dropped a few grand on Alden shoes I, for one, welcome it.

Seriously, let it ******* die already. You're beating a shell cordovan horse.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonfoote303
Here are my new AF53's. Perfect fit. No flaws. Great service from Alden of Carmel. Happy Jason. Also, this is my first pair with commando soles. I gotta say I'm very happy with the comfort and look of them... My opinion is that commando is as comfortable as the plantation crepe, and it looks nicer.
I love the color 8s. Wore mine to a wedding last weekend. Many compliments to be had. I only have the commandos on the newly arrived shell cigar, I'm looking forward to trying them!

Thor

Reaction score
Alas, I did not mean to start a Sh*tstorm with my speed hook fail.

But to update- I talked to the retailer- JGilbert- and they had me send them directly back to Alden who said they would have them fixed within a week of arrival.

That seems reasonable to me. I will let you know how the fix comes out.

(Also, I sent the picture I posted here to Alden in an email and they replied within 24hrs)

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor

But to update- I talked to the retailer- JGilbert- and they had me send them directly back to Alden who said they would have them fixed within a week of arrival.

That seems reasonable to me. I will let you know how the fix comes out.

(Also, I sent the picture I posted here to Alden in an email and they replied within 24hrs)

That looks like material failure to me. Perhaps you had a particularly porous horse.
tongue.gif

Anyhoo thanks for the updates.

GreatHighway

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor

you must not know your own power. i mean cmon, you ARE Thor, the norse god of thunder
worship2.gif
tongue.gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
you know for a fact that Tom @ Leathersoul is reading this conversation, so retailers are reading about it.

peepwall[1].gif

**** happens. I try to clean up as much as I can on my end. If I can't, I try to help my customers get it fixed. I would hope retailers that SF people buy from do the same. Alden is really old school. Sometimes it works for the better, other times it hurts them. Regardless, they really are a great company and I hope those who have bad experiences let their retailers try to rectify them before writing them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads