• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Two or Three Pairs of Pants on a Budget - The Where and What?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
I'm selling an older computer to fund a wardrobe update, starting literally from the ground up.

I'm starting with shoes - purchasing both black and brown AE's on eBay. I've decided on Park Avenues for the black shoes, and may be going with some wingtip bluchers for the brown shoes.

Next up is pants. Right now my only pair of dress pants are some olive-colored slacks that I swim in. I'm 6'5" and 180lb; skinny though with an athletic frame that I hope to fill out before long.

Anyway, I'd like to throw those pants out and buy pants that actually fit me. I'm not into the super-slim thing, but I do realize the importance of a proper fit. The pants will be worn with anything from a sharp looking polo to a button up shirt to eventually a tailored blazer (hopefully sooner than later).

A friend of mine who dresses quite well recommended starting with charcoal wool pants - I've found through searching that this is probably a good recommendation, yes? Would khaki and navy be the other two colors to look for?

Once we've got the colors nailed down, it comes to where to purchase them. Is there anything like with Allen Edmond shoes, where the retail cost is $325 but you can get them in near-new condition for about $100 on ebay, or will I have to go with a lower-quality trouser if I'm to save money? My ideal budget is $150 for pants. If I can get three for that much, I'm going to be thrilled.

So, specific style, color, and where to buy recommendations for the above goals? Thank you!!

-Evan

asdf

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
Is there anything like with Allen Edmond shoes, where the retail cost is $325 but you can get them in near-new condition for about $100 on ebay...?
-Evan

Incotex/mabitex on the B&S

/threak

arc

Reaction score
Many here say to avoid navy odd trousers. Your mileage may vary, but if you want to start with conservative and flexible options (which you probably do on a limited budget), do greys. Plain charcoal and mid-grey are both very wearable. Avoid stripes since 1) it'll be more obvious you only have two pairs of pants 2) they're more likely to look like they're orphaned suit pants. For cotton trousers though, sure, beige/khaki/stone are good. Spend time looking at trou on WAYWRN. Look for Incotex/Mabitex on B&S, like the above poster said. Also, have you considered a skirt? After all, "Sping/Summer 2011 will see a drastic change in the way men dress up and a blurring line between masculinity and femininity."
ffffuuuu.gif

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
Paul Frederick has a number of options in your stated ideal price range in their clearance section.

They tend to run big, so plan on buying 1 or 2 sizes smaller than normal and having the waist let out if necessary.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
Also, have you considered a skirt? After all, "Sping/Summer 2011 will see a drastic change in the way men dress up and a blurring line between masculinity and femininity."
ffffuuuu.gif

Let's be clear - I don't care how fashion forward it is to wear skirts or skinnypants, etc., I'm going to stay as far away from that femmy junk as I can. /rant

I'll start diving into the B&S forums. So start with Charcoal, then light grey, you think?

-Evan

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NukeMeSlowly
Paul Frederick has a number of options in your stated ideal price range in their clearance section.

I should clarify. I was hoping to pick up 2-3 pairs of paints for a total of $150, not $150 each.

-Evan

arc

Reaction score
Let's be clear - I don't care how fashion forward it is to wear skirts or skinnypants, etc., I'm going to stay as far away from that femmy junk as I can. /rant
Of course, yes. I wasn't being serious. Hence the
ffffuuuu.gif
. Make sure your sarcasm detector is set to high when browsing the styleforvm. You can get Incotex/Mabitex for ~$50 in cotton if you shop around, but probably more like 80ish in wool. Wool trou being bought for under $50 are probably going to be scary.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by arc
Of course, yes. I wasn't being serious. Hence the
ffffuuuu.gif
. Make sure your sarcasm detector is set to high when browsing the styleforvm.

You can get Incotex/Mabitex for ~$50 in cotton if you shop around, but probably more like 80ish in wool. Wool trou being bought for under $50 are probably going to be scary.

Dually noted
blush.gif

Is the extra money for wool a good investment?

When you say "shop around", where would you be looking? B&S forums? Other places?

I should add that I'm an odd size. When mall shopping, I've found most 34" waists fit, though some are a bit big. 32" is regularly too small. As for length, 34" Is usually just-right, but occasionally too short, while 36" is occasionally just right, but usually too long. Open to suggestions on how to find the right fit for me. I'm open to getting any pants purchased adjusted as needed.

Thanks!

-Evan

nexus

Reaction score
I should add that I'm an odd size. When mall shopping, I've found most 34" waists fit, though some are a bit big. 32" is regularly too small. As for length, 34" Is usually just-right, but occasionally too short, while 36" is occasionally just right, but usually too long. Open to suggestions on how to find the right fit for me. I'm open to getting any pants purchased adjusted as needed.

That's not an "odd size" - thats just called shopping. Pay the measurements no mind. I'm everything from a 32x32 to a 34x30. You'd think the measurements would be standardized but they are not.

The best rule of thumb is to try pants on for the fit in the waist. If it fits perfectly up there, hemming is cheap.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nexus
That's not an "odd size" - thats just called shopping. Pay the measurements no mind. I'm everything from a 32x32 to a 34x30. You'd think the measurements would be standardized but they are not.

The best rule of thumb is to try pants on for the fit in the waist. If it fits perfectly up there, hemming is cheap.

So if I find a good pant with the right waist, should I go a bit long? I'm sure pants can be shortened, but I'm guessing it's atypical to try to lengthen them? Forgive my ignorance - I'm learning, however slowly.

-Evan

PS> You're incredibly helpful. I'm learning as aggressively as I can, using these forums, the Esquire Guide to Style book I received as a gift, and RSS subscriptions to Put This On, Esquire style, Valet style, Dappered.com. Any other resources you would recommend, in terms of books, magazines, or websites?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
+1.

also for bigger-timers , you can go with Panta.

A search for Incotex yields wool pants that are 1/2 off on Sierra Trading post and still double my total pants budget. Unless they go for insanely cheap on the B&S forums, I'm not sure why they're being recommended? Mabitex is a bit more reasonable, retailing for $150, so I can see those coming down on the B&S.

-Evan

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
A search for Incotex yields wool pants that are 1/2 off on Sierra Trading post and still double my total pants budget. Unless they go for insanely cheap on the B&S forums, I'm not sure why they're being recommended? Mabitex is a bit more reasonable, retailing for $150, so I can see those coming down on the B&S.

-Evan

inco and mabitex wool pants have been on sale here for market price around 80-120 dolllars depending on style and color and who the seller is and time of the year and so forth.

buying these brands on yoox and stp and so forth are more expensive. the cheapest online is through here. (or if you live near a daffy's you can pick them up for 70 bux or so for wools)
Originally Posted by Blake686
http://www.howardyount.com/collectio...10-sale?page=1

great deal at $135

ive been looking at those and they are a great deal i m just not familiar to their fit. if it is anything like panta or mabitex i know i would like it. but from their measurements, the fit is more generous.

Working Stiff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At ~$50 a pair, you're looking at cotton, not wool. But there's nothing wrong with that - get some chinos in khaki, grey, and blue from uniqlo or J Crew or Club Monaco (Or incotex from B&S if you're patient). Any of these will be OK quality (Incotex better than the others), and the mall brand ones on sale might be as cheap as $20 or $30.

IMO, cotton pants will look better if you're not wearing a jacket (and chinos with a blazer is obviously a time-honoured combo). Also, you can wash chinos yourself, whereas wool pants need to be dry cleaned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads