• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desktop PC Building Thread

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I'll just grab one when I go to get my video card. I'm basically waiting on an OS because there's no point in finishing the thing when I can't make it work. Taking forever to get here though, I should've just borrowed the discs from someone.

Get that sucker up and running, OS or not! Sometimes stuff arrives DOA. I'd rather find out before I was all excited to install my OS than afterwards.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my new parts but I'm having trouble getting my computer to work now. When I turn it on it doesn't recognize anything plugged in and the video doesn't work at all. The monitor doesn't receive any signal and turns off. I've tried using the onboard chip set, my video card, switching the ram, replugging everything and trying it with just the board and CPU to see if it makesany error beeps. Nothing has worked and i dont know what to try

m.gway

Reaction score
Did you make sure the CPU is seated properly?
Is everything pushed all the way in (RAM, PCIe cards, etc)?
Are you providing enough power to the components?
The monitor shuts off, but does the machine actually turn off or is it still humming along?

Try booting with bare essentials and work your way up, it could be a faulty part.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
I got my new parts but I'm having trouble getting my computer to work now. When I turn it on it doesn't recognize anything plugged in and the video doesn't work at all. The monitor doesn't receive any signal and turns off. I've tried using the onboard chip set, my video card, switching the ram, replugging everything and trying it with just the board and CPU to see if it makesany error beeps. Nothing has worked and i dont know what to try

This is odd. Can you get to the bios?

Have you made sure to plug in all the power connections to the motherboard, HDD, Optical, Graphics Card (5750 has the 6 pin connection)? Are you sure the CPU is seated properly? Are your front panel connections (power, reset, hdd activity led etc) connections in correctly? What mobo did you get and what ram are you using in it? There could be an incompatability as some mobos are picky and some DDR3 chips aren't versatile....

Worst case is the mobo might be DOA. After trying the above, give the Mobo manufacturer's tech help a call. See if they can guide you a bit.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turn on the computer and the monitor just says no signal. I can't get any image at all. I rechecked the CPU and everything and its all seated properly. When I turn on the computer all the fans go on and the less for the network cable and video card. I got the asrock a785gxh. It doesn't recognize the onboard chipset or the 5750 and I tried resetting the cmos but no go. I'm going to try and call their customer support.

daft

Reaction score
Take motherboard out of the case with just the bare bones. cpu, gpu, ram and do a little trial & error thing.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a small chance that the BIOS currently in the mobo doesn't support your CPU as it's a newer CPU and the motherboard is a bit older. A BIOS update would fix it, but you probably don't have an older AM2+ CPU to use in order to even update it...

Second, from a NEWEGG review:

If you are trying to install an add on GPU in the Primary (GREEN) PCI Express 2.0 X16 slot MAKE SURE TO:

READ THE MANUAL - It is clear. Select "Primary Video Adaptor" and select PCI Express!

READ THE MANUAL - this mobo supports graphics off the integrated GPU (iGPU) AND the add on GPU at the same time!!! You have to select "surround view" AND select/allocate Video Memort - DO NOT LEAVE VIDEO MEMORY ON AUTO - CHOOSE 128/256/512, not AUTO.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wound up RMAing it, I'm just going to get a newer board and RAM to make sure it works next time

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wound up RMAing it, I'm just going to get a newer board and RAM to make sure it works next time

Probably for the best. Reading the reviews for that board didn't exactly leave me feeling that the board is user friendly.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have gone with th newer board and ram in the first place, I guess ill be out another 150bucks or so lol, also I have to use my evo now for all this until I set up my computer again the old way

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have gone with th newer board and ram in the first place, I guess ill be out another 150bucks or so lol, also I have to use my evo now for all this until I set up my computer again the old way

Aren't you getting your money back from the RMA?

A good AM3/DDR3 board will run you $80 or so, the linked one even less after rebate.

4gb of DDR3 is just a bit over $80 (Saw a review where someone used this ram with the Asus linked above and it worked fine).

With the refund that nets to around $115, not too bad for some future proofing.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah they said they'll give me a refund since the board is sold out now anyways. Thanks for the links ill check them out once my computer is back up

edit: ok it's working now, i ordered the new parts and i'm going to return this board, hopefully it'll work this time.

edit2: wow newegg's shipping is really erratic, for the original board and cpu it took 5 days coming from new jersey. i ordered the new board and ram 2 hours ago and they already sent me a tracking number and it's coming from industry, CA which is literally 20-30 minutes away from me

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah they said they'll give me a refund since the board is sold out now anyways. Thanks for the links ill check them out once my computer is back up

edit: ok it's working now, i ordered the new parts and i'm going to return this board, hopefully it'll work this time.

protip: don't send in the UPC for Rebate until you make sure that the new Motherboard works!

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
got the new board and ram and it's running perfectly

getting 40-50 fps on bfbc2 on high settings

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads