• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tassle Loafer-Dark Brown vs. Brown Suede

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Alden tassle loafer and I'm struggling with what color to get.

They will be worn with anything from suits to jeans. I am 21 years old.

666.jpg

VS.
563A_R.jpg

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're looking into AE seconds. vox is your man...

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Have you tried PMing iammatt?

- B

Give me your advice! I think I remember seeing a picture with you wearing some dark brown calfskin loafers, with a tassel of course.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Give me your advice! I think I remember seeing a picture with you wearing some dark brown calfskin loafers, with a tassel of course.

I have both, also the same thing in black.

That would be my advice.

Other than that, I think that the reverse calf will come up more "modern" feeling from what I know about what you wear. There's a streetwear trend that has classic casual shoes done up in reverse calf versions, like the LL Bean Signature line.

- B

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I vote dark brown.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both but wear Brown suede more often, well, I reach for it more often.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I have both, also the same thing in black.

That would be my advice.

Other than that, I think that the reverse calf will come up more "modern" feeling from what I know about what you wear. There's a streetwear trend that has classic casual shoes done up in reverse calf versions, like the LL Bean Signature line.

- B

Thanks. If you were to have to chose one in your early 20's what would it be? Keep in mind, I want this to work with a suit and shorts.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
I have both but wear Brown suede more often, well, I reach for it more often.

In Alden or Polo?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Alden or Polo?

They are both Alden. C&J has snuff suede tassels if you like snuff more. Brown suede is very nice too. I'd go with Brown suede if you want to wear them with suits, snuff suede is more casual.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
They are both Alden. C&J has snuff suede tassels if you like snuff more. Brown suede is very nice too. I'd go with Brown suede if you want to wear them with suits, snuff suede is more casual.

See, that's what I originally thought. When I ran it by my dad he kinda talked me out of it and pushed me more to the dark brown. I think both would work very well, but I have to make a choice. My one major problem with suede is that it sucks in nasty weather.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks. If you were to have to chose one in your early 20's what would it be? Keep in mind, I want this to work with a suit and shorts.

I chose mine in my teens and continue to wear them. The black versions that Alden does for Brooks was probably my most commonly worn shoe in college, with black Weejuns and Guccis together a close second. Brown shoes were Topsiders and Bean camp bluchers. No sneakers, and seldom socks even in winter.

Yes: it was like that.

- B

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're really 21, I'd look for something else entirely. What, you want to be Foo and age yourself 30 years?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See, that's what I originally thought. When I ran it by my dad he kinda talked me out of it and pushed me more to the dark brown. I think both would work very well, but I have to make a choice. My one major problem with suede is that it sucks in nasty weather.

I'd get both,they are both nice. One thing to keep in mind, Aldens are on Aberdeen last which is a narrower last, C&J cavendish is on 325 last which is a wider last.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
If you're really 21, I'd look for something else entirely. What, you want to be Foo and age yourself 30 years?

Randy is already a weirdo, with weirdo charm. His retro bent seems to work for him, so why be a clone?

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads