• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Really, 10 pair and not a single issue? You are either very lucky or incredibly tolerant of small issues, so much so that they go unnoticed. I love Alden boots and have three pair currently, but their QC does suck. I have probably had in my possession 8 pair of boots at one time or another and out of those I have the three good ones...the rest had a quality issue that required their return. Some of these were terribly blatant, others were somewhat minor but still unacceptable on a $400+ pair of boots. Every time I get a bad one I tell myself I won't buy them anymore...but the good ones are very good and I love their style so much I keep coming back. I think my new rule is to buy them in person only where I can inspect them. All three of my keeper pairs were bought in person locally, all the returned boots were from online sellers.
Really? REALLY? On what do you base this? I have to agree though that I am probably more tolerant of little issues than people like you who get an extra helping of hormones with their ****** but at the end of the day they are just shoes. If you are saying things like "others were somewhat minor but still unacceptable on a $400+ pair of boots." maybe you shouldn't be buying $400+ pairs of shoes until they fit your budget better. Really I have posted a lot of pics here and have never seen the problems mentioned here except my shoelaces broke, which happens on $400+ pairs of shoes. Maybe I should look for some $400+ shoe laces so I can cry like a little ***** when they break?

nurktwin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sockpuppets
986 is van last - 1/4 to 1/2 size larger than regular U.S. size.
Thanks! Is there anyone here who owns a 986? If so, did you order 1/2 smaller than your true size and what were your thoughts on fit?

Morgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Thanks! Is there anyone here who owns a 986? If so, did you order 1/2 smaller than your true size and what were your thoughts on fit?

Yeah, exactly what sockpuppet said. I'm a 9D, and I have the 986 in 8.5D. It's a little snug, though - I think the 1/4 size difference is probably accurate. I settled on the 8.5D after trying on at least 4 different size combos at Alden of SF. I think I tried 9D, 9C, 8.5D, and 8.5E.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is there any good reason why different sizes are required for different lasts? ie, why can't a 9D fit similar in each last, with the only differences between a 9D Barrie and a 9D Plaza being stylistic and the fact that some will conform to your particular foot better?

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how any person who posts a problem they've had with Alden becomes an 'alden hater' or 'idiot' or 'whiner', even if their post specifically qualifies that they like alden shoes, buy alden shoes, but would just like more consistency in the quality. This thread has **** the bed.
facepalm.gif
Someone post some shell Appreciation, pls. MichaelW?

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
It's interesting how any person who posts a problem they've had with Alden becomes an 'alden hater' or 'idiot' or 'whiner', even if their post specifically qualifies that they like alden shoes, buy alden shoes, but would just like more consistency in the quality. This thread has **** the bed.
facepalm.gif

Thank you!

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow Ahab, people who have an opinion on this topic slightly contrary to yours really gets under your skin huh. Damn....I would have let it alone if I had known you were going to get that worked up about it, just wanted to share my experience and the fact that I felt you were very lucky to have 10 good pairs, or at least more tolerant of slight issues.

Originally Posted by Ahab
...so I can cry like a little *****...

pot....kettle....black.... Just saying.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

I usually do not reply to the people who post "problems" with their shoes. What I do respond to are the idiots like saracen who jump on these posts and say there are serious QC issues without providing any proof.....and they still buy. Hey guess what if you don't like the product don't buy it. It ain't rocket science. As for posting pics of shoes let saracen do it. I really could care less at this point since the multitude of quality shoes in this thread must be photoshopped or demo models cause we know the few pics posted with serious problems are the norm.
Originally Posted by saracen
Thank you!
Post some proof of all the outlandish claims you make and I would take you seriously. But I can't because you cry about how bad the QC is but you still claim you are buying shoes. So either you are an idiot or a liar or both. I'm betting on both.
Originally Posted by slide13
wow Ahab, people who have an opinion on this topic slightly contrary to yours really gets under your skin huh. Damn....I would have let it alone if I had known you were going to get that worked up about it, just wanted to share my experience and the fact that I felt you were very lucky to have 10 good pairs, or at least more tolerant of slight issues.

pot....kettle....black.... Just saying.

That's right. If they were posting facts I would take them seriously but since they are posting their ignorant opinions, over and over again, I get sick of it.

Why don't you start a thread about Alden problems and see how many pics you get posted in that thread losers?
teacha.gif

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Ahab, while you have valid points it's all discredited by your apparent need to berate someone with an opinion contrary to your own. It just makes you come off as childish.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

saracen has repeatedly cried like a little school girl on several occasions anytime there has been the slightest mention of a problem, do you really want me to dig up his post history? he's the worst type of customer, i know i've dealt with people like him over the years

and he just verified he doesn't have a gf, next question is if he is still a virgin

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
saracen has repeatedly cried like a little school girl on several occasions anytime there has been the slightest mention of a problem, do you really want me to dig up his post history? he's the worst type of customer, i know i've dealt with people like him over the years

to be clear, it wasn't saracen who posted the boots with the latest problem (the speedhooks)

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet

and he just verified he doesn't have a gf, next question is if he is still a virgin

The personal attacks should just stop here.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
to be clear, it wasn't saracen who posted the boots with the latest problem (the speedhooks)

yes I know, and for the record I'm not against people posting any flaws but some people need to stfu already and not pile on with their broken record nonsense over and over again

you don't like it don't buy it, vote with your wallet not your keyboard and like someone else mentioned take it up with the retailer it's not rocket science folks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads