• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Yesterday, we had a 2000 Hundred Cabernet Sauvignon from Kayli Morgan Vineyard. Pretty mellow for a Napa cab, although that may be due to the age. I had a 2004 vintage of the same wine a few months back, and recall it being much more heavy on the plum and spice.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
'04 was a monster Napa vintage, '00 was sort of meh.

blackjack

Reaction score
Last weekend, I found an wooden gift box housing a magnum of Simi Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon Special Reserve 1973 in the wine cellar of our summer house. I don't think it's really supposed to be anything special but am curious to know if there are any tasting reviews around.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So thinking of doing a multi-course meal at home on Sat. Here's the problem: it's not like we're eating at Cyrus and getting the pairings. It's going to be just the two of us and I can't open 3-5 bottles (or 9 or 10 like Cyrus pairings!) for just us. So I need to think of something that will go with scallop ceviche (going to try the Bayless recipe) and foie and something else.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I did scallops on Sunday and served a white Bordeaux, half Sauv Blanc and half Semillion. Very slightly sweet. Very slight. I thought it worked perfectly.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'd do something like a Meursault or a Puligny-Montrachet. A quality example will have good acidity yet also some depth that IMO will make it quite versatile with a good number of dishes.

The white Bordeaux rec is also good, though I'd be slightly more inclined to try an Italian white out of personal preference.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My dish had orange supremes so the sweetness of the wine worked. Also, the scallops were seared. Dry wine might work better with ceviche.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Indeed I'd lean more to the dry side. At Scott's, the sea bass ceviche and Chablis were magnificent together.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
It's not matching the ceviche, it's matching both ceviche and foie and something(s) yet to be determined. I greatly prefer a savory presentation, so at least that will help.

I know I have a couple of dry Eye-tie whites in the cellar.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
yes, I know about the foie. White burg will be absolutely fine with Foie, it's the ceviche that can be the tricky part (I'm guessing wines that are lower in acidity will seem flabby next to ceviche).

I like the Italians myself but wouldn't do a Roero or PG for the sometimes lack of acidity.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've got a couple of high acid, mineral Froggies.

Damn, maybe we should just have a beer with the ceviche?
laugh.gif

Very slightly off-dry: 2005 Château Laulerie Montravel Sec

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bought a few bottles of my daily drinker, Tesch Spatburgunder trocken. Bought a bottle of better Pinto, a Karl Pfaffmann 06 Spatburgunder trocken. Will try this weekend.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm taking my girl here http://www.heightscafe.com/ There's no wine list available online or by pdf. What kind of wine would be a safe bet to order that goes with most types of foods? I don't think both of us can finish more than one bottle. I don't remember much about their wine list except that it was mediocre. Chateau St. Jean chardonnays for 14 or so by the glass, cline cabernet sauvignons for 40 or so. Should I order some west coast pinot to be safe? I think I'm most comfortable with wineries in california or should I be more adventurous

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
IMO, the most ubiquitous/easiest food pairing wine at a place that doesn't have huge selection is something based off sauv blanc.

If you and your lady already know what you're going to order, we can give better advice though.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the wine list is a pretty decent sized book, but i haven't been there enough times with enough experience to judge it well.

i would say we would order duck or fish. these three sound about right

Oven Roasted Halibut & Jumbo Shrimp
Watermelon Salsa, Shaved Fennel, Sushi Rice & Feta Cheese
Saffron Aioli

Char Grilled Duck Breast
Duck Confit, Turkish Lahmajoun & Lemon-Macerated Onions
Blistered Tomatoes & Middle-Eastern Potato Salad
Honey Lemon Reduction

Pan Roasted Filet Of Branzino
Spinach-Leek Stuffed Little Neck Clams & Shaved Carrot Salad
Chick Peas Cassoulet & Slow Roasted Tomatoes
Lemon Relish

their steaks are supposed to be house aged prime ribeye, but for some reason i dont really want to order steak there.

i've been kind of wanting to explore italy. would gavi or soave work with duck or fish? or would some kind of sauv blanc be a better choice?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads