• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ascendancy of J. Crew - all good?

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, first by way of a disclaimer, I like J. Crew. I've bought stuff from them since it was just a paper catalogue peddling "barn jackets", and I'm completely intrigued by their new practice of partnering with select cool labels. But let me ask the stylish loners among you. Isn't there a little part of you (deep down in places that you don't like to talk about at cocktail parties) that regrets how J. Crew is bringing these once esoteric brands to the mainstream? I know, it's horribly elitist, but somewhere there's a table of clueless douchebags waxing lyrical about Belstaff, Barbour, Quoddy, C&J, Alden and Thomas Mason without ever doing the background work.

What got me thinking about this was finding out that Crockett & Jones just signed on to the program. This adds to my earlier frustration regarding Russell boots, which as a hunter, are frustrating enough to get in a timely fashion let alone now that J. Crew needs to be supplied. Well, that and like wellies, I expect to see people who will never see dirt to be wearing them soon.

There, I feel better . . . bring on Kiton barn jackets, I will be accepting - unless a bunch of you agree, which will just embolden me to be an ass.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure J. Crew has been main stream for over 15 years. I remember shopping in their Mall stores in late 90s.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
Pretty sure J. Crew has been main stream for over 15 years. I remember shopping in their Mall stores in late 90s.

Could you buy anything but J. Crew branded items 15 years ago? And I think the mall stores started popping up in the early to mid-90's.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that the quality of J. Crew's own branded items have gotten better as a result of adding higher quality partners to their catalog?

I'm slowly seeing an increase in quality. For a very long time, I thought much of their stuff was mediocre. Now, some of their items seem to have increased in quality as well as in the level of taste that more resembles a european nature.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
C+j just signed on? What models will they be doing?

Looks like a pebble-grained, double soled, full brogue blucher for $575.

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX

I don't believe this is his point. I think his point is that J Crew is bringing more obscure brands to the main stream, perhaps to the dissapointment of some people here.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
Does anyone think that the quality of J. Crew's own branded items have gotten better as a result of adding higher quality partners to their catalog?

Good question, don't know, I admit that I focus on the outside items now. I assume J. Crew made the shirts that featured TM fabrics, so that's certainly a positive step.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Where did you see this? The latest catalogue? Nothing on their site yet

Latest Esquire.

mercretas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman

I'm slowly seeing an increase in quality. For a very long time, I thought much of their stuff was mediocre. Now, some of their items seem to have increased in quality as well as in the level of taste that more resembles a european nature.

The story I've always heard was that when Mickey Drexler took over the leadership of J Crew in 2003 he made improving the quality of J Crew's product a real priority. From what I've seen, I would agree that quality has improved.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
What got me thinking about this was finding out that Crockett & Jones just signed on to the program.
Thoughtful points. Based on what I've read on the world's leading mens clothing forvm...teh StyleForvm...whether J. Crew x C&J succeeds or fails depends on whether one can perforate them after buying them. - B

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by word
Why should this matter anyways...

"Paying your dues" permeates everything. People are people. By the way, I hope people are taking this post with the amount of tongue in cheek that it was meant with.

"Anyway", but never "anyways".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads