• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Dustin sort of got shafted, but he also admitted he didn't read the supplemental rules, which included a note on the bunkers, so I think he's as much to blame as anyone else. It's a sucky situation all around, but he didn't do himself any favors by not being prepared.

Like Pio said, though, he handled it well. Props to him on that.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Congrats, G!

Thanks! I'm stoked, though I still haven't gotten to use them. The weather was crappy this weekend, and, with mom in town, it was tough to get away when the Sun came out. I'm hoping to take them out to the range soon. I ordered a driver Saturday night, too, so I may just wait until that's delivered and go use all the near gear at once.

Had a very, very productive lesson Saturday. Some stuff is starting to come together. Grip, "cupping" the wrist, the shoulders rotating to start the take away. It's very, very ugly but with a decade of work, I think I see dropping out of triple digits.

lol8[1].gif
Don't say that. I can't bear the thought of playing this way for another 10 years.

Congrats on the progress.

I was rooting for Bubba.

He's my boy - a lefty and a UGA grad. Also, my brother tells me my swing looks a lot like Bubba's.

Bubba's just like me, only talented!

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too was rooting for Bubba. Kaymer is very talented but as exciting to watch as a rock. Bubba just oozes effortless charm. I still can't fathom how someone with his body type can hit the ball as long as he does.

Another New Yorker

Reaction score
I just saw this thread and thought I'd pop in. I took a month of intro golf lessons this summer, a few times a week a few hours each time, just to get the form and stuff down. I guess my form is "correct" enough when I pay attention to it that I should at least be able to practice and get better on my own. As a soon-to-be college student though do you guys think it's financially feasible? My parents do alright so I'm not paying for college and have a small allowance. I'm gonna have my own job as well but it's gonna come out to around a 15k or so disposable income annually. Is that enough to even enjoy golf? Especially with all the stuff I'll need at the onset?

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
I too was rooting for Bubba. Kaymer is very talented but as exciting to watch as a rock. Bubba just oozes effortless charm. I still can't fathom how someone with his body type can hit the ball as long as he does.

bubba is a former *****. Dropped a good deal of weight, got stronger so he still hits it just as far. 360-370 is nothing for him.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Another New Yorker
I just saw this thread and thought I'd pop in. I took a month of intro golf lessons this summer, a few times a week a few hours each time, just to get the form and stuff down. I guess my form is "correct" enough when I pay attention to it that I should at least be able to practice and get better on my own. As a soon-to-be college student though do you guys think it's financially feasible? My parents do alright so I'm not paying for college and have a small allowance. I'm gonna have my own job as well but it's gonna come out to around a 15k or so disposable income annually. Is that enough to even enjoy golf? Especially with all the stuff I'll need at the onset?

it's def feasible. Just play later in the day so you can pay 20-30 bucks for a twilight fee. Don't buy a million golf balls. Just buy them out of the .25 cent bin at your course. If you know some basics, figuring out the rest of your golf swing is half of the fun (or battle).

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why Pavin would pick Tiger as a captain's pick given his lousy RC record and the potential to distract the other team members (due to his indiscretions) is beyond me.

Discuss.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
it's def feasible. Just play later in the day so you can pay 20-30 bucks for a twilight fee. Don't buy a million golf balls. Just buy them out of the .25 cent bin at your course. If you know some basics, figuring out the rest of your golf swing is half of the fun (or battle).

If your college has an agreement with a local course for reduced fees, I'd recommend that as well. One college I went to had their own course, and another had an agreement with a decent local course for student green fees.

Originally Posted by dr.no
Why Pavin would pick Tiger as a captain's pick given his lousy RC record and the potential to distract the other team members (due to his indiscretions) is beyond me.

Discuss.

Man, I wouldn't want to make that choice. Either you lend Tiger a hand and give him a show of support by picking him - or you cut him loose for the year and tell him to make things right, whatever it takes. Both are admirable in their own way, and both will lead to tons of criticism and second-guessing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Discuss.

Ratings.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ratings.

Possibly. I would think the US actually having a chance to win by Sunday's singles matches would be better for ratings though...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Possibly. I would think the US actually having a chance to win by Sunday's singles matches would be better for ratings though...

To the average golf spectator, it is much more important to see Tiger play, than some nuanced analysis of what his inclusion on the team does for the US chance to win.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To the average golf spectator, it is much more important to see Tiger play, than some nuanced analysis of what his inclusion on the team does for the US chance to win.

Agreed. Although, for dignity's sake, the US really needs a win this year and at least next year so we can have somewhat of a small streak going.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
Agreed. Although, for dignity's sake, the US really needs a win this year and at least next year so we can have somewhat of a small streak going.

That's my point. I would hazzard that many true golf fans won't watch weekend coverage if the US is down by 4 points after team play. Tiger is lucky to halve any of his matches.

btw- RC is every 2 years

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Discuss.

For his chicks.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no tiger = no viewers. it's a fact. i'd bet my paltry salary that whoever governs the ryder cup team is pleading with pavin to put him on the team.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That's my point. I would hazzard that many true golf fans won't watch weekend coverage if the US is down by 4 points after team play. Tiger is lucky to halve any of his matches.

btw- RC is every 2 years

Originally Posted by bdeuce22
no tiger = no viewers. it's a fact. i'd bet my paltry salary that whoever governs the ryder cup team is pleading with pavin to put him on the team.

Yup. The sport cannot survive, as a broadcast spectator sport, merely on the support of "true golf fans." Just like the Superbowl, etc., draws in millions of people that usually don't watch football, a big competition with Tiger needs to pull in millions of non "true golf fans." It's like this in any sport, the big name in the big competition pulls in the casual fans, not the currently hot players that only "real" fans know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads