• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Desktop PC Building Thread

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would be going too far over budget with the ddr3. i'm going to bite the bullet and get the two i linked and if it doesn't work out i'll just return it

my total came out to 258$ which is just fine by me, with the ddr3 it'd probably be closer to 400

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
i would be going too far over budget with the ddr3. i'm going to bite the bullet and get the two i linked and if it doesn't work out i'll just return it

my total came out to 258$ which is just fine by me, with the ddr3 it'd probably be closer to 400

Ah, you must learn the way of the combo deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.456504

Assuming you're ok with an mATX board you get a 955 plus an 890GX mobo (USB 3.0, SATA 6gb/s, etc) for ~$225 and then you can get decent 4gb of DDR3 for ~$85.

Total is around $315 (shipping factored in) plus you get a $10 promo card to be used on future purchases.

Pretty win if you ask me.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are the pros/cons of the micro board? i assumed that it wouldn't work or fit right with my full size case lol

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
what are the pros/cons of the micro board? i assumed that it wouldn't work or fit right with my full size case lol

An mATX board should fit any case that can fit a Full ATX (though check your manual to be completely sure). The mATX board can also fit into mATX only cases (smaller), generally draw less power, and have built in graphics that you can use as an output to a TV or monitor without the need for a discrete graphics card (or if yours breaks).

They lack additional expansion PCI slots or extra PCIx slots found in high end full sized ATX boards (for crossfire or SLI), have fewer SATA/ide/floppy connections, and usually the chipset isn't quite as powerful/advanced as those found in the high end ATX boards.

I think it's fine as long as you don't plan on running a seperate sound card, TV tuner, PCI wireless card etc.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Price cuts coming for the Radeon HD5xxx series?

Link

For the most part, AMD's 5xxx series of GPUs have stood up well against the competition,and that includes Nvidia's Fermi architecture. If the Sunnyvale graphics chip maker wanted to, it could probably sit on the sidelines for the rest of the year and still remain competitive.

That isn't in AMD's cards, so to speak. Citing "sources from graphics card players," Digitimes says you can expect AMD to start shipping videocards built around its next-gen GPU -- codenamed Southern Islands -- in November, with an official announcement preceding the launch a month ahead of time. This new GPU will come manufactured on a 28nm process. The original plan was to make these upcoming chips using a 32nm manufacturing process (and called Northern Islands by AMD), but Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) ended up skipping its 32nm R&D and jumped straight to 28nm.

Around the same time, and perhaps even earlier, AMD is said to be cutting prices for its ATI Radeon HD 5000-series graphics cards, both in preparation for the upcoming 6xxx series, and to fend off Fermi from chewing into its market share.
Hmm, maybe I can look at another HD5850 come Xmas time ....

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Price cuts coming for the Radeon HD5xxx series?

Link

Hmm, maybe I can look at another HD5850 come Xmas time ....

About damn time. I was pricing out a potential build for myself and decided that a nVidia Fermi card was the best value in the $200-250 mark at the moment.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
^^ Yeah but then will we be tempted by the new HD 6 series?
laugh.gif

While I believe it is theoretically possible to Crossfire a Radeon HD 5 and a Radeon HD 4 I don't know if the same will be true when the HD 6 seriies comes out. My gameplan is to wait until price on the HD 5850 drops to around $150 or so and then grab another one to Crossfire with my current card. That should happen sometime in 2012 or so and then keep me "current" for another 2-3 years.

By the time 2015 rolls around my 2009 build will be ready for a complete refresh.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
very cool, i should be getting most of my parts tomorrow

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Could get an aftermarket heatsink and strap that son'***** on the back. The case is really well designed for adding those on.

Also, note the massive amount of unnecessary cableage from the PSU going out the back. Not sure what to do with all of that, though mercifully the case gives me a lot of room behind the mobo because the side panel splays out rather than hugging the side of the case. I'm really impressed with coolermaster's foresight re: cable management solutions.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well you'll probably need two separate cables for the optical and the GPU depending on the card. The rest you've just got to stuff back there somewhere. This is why people like modular PSU's.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Well you'll probably need two separate cables for the optical and the GPU depending on the card. The rest you've just got to stuff back there somewhere. This is why people like modular PSU's.

Modular FTW. I can't imagine using a modern PSU (with all the cables necessary for more power hungry hardware) that isn't modular.

Not sure why you're waiting on an optical. Just get a $30 DVD-RW from LG, Asus, Lite-On etc and be done with it. Just make sure it's SATA.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I'll just grab one when I go to get my video card. I'm basically waiting on an OS because there's no point in finishing the thing when I can't make it work. Taking forever to get here though, I should've just borrowed the discs from someone.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
I'll just grab one when I go to get my video card. I'm basically waiting on an OS because there's no point in finishing the thing when I can't make it work. Taking forever to get here though, I should've just borrowed the discs from someone.

True, if you had an integrated graphics Mobo you could load a Ubuntu distro to play around with in the mean time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads