• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Men Season 4

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That was a really boring episode. Like, ZzzZzzZzzzzz.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking how Campbell had the strangest way to ditch a client who is his father in law but I guess it's only him to have a baby and use that to shake down more business from good old "dad". I didn't get the point of Cosgrove popping up other than to say for the millionth time McCann is a terrible place to work (one wonders if they actually paid for this publicity whether they should ask for a refund). I didn't get the inflection - was he still there or did he go on to another agency? It's rather sad that Cosgrove thinks Draper is a drunk too in addition to Allison. Draper looked a bit shocked at having something thrown at him; you would have thought he would have expected her to blow up one day.

With Ponds on its way out, does that mean no Rumsen either? Even though it appears his creative was spot on for the Ponds account.

Is Cooper now doing his afternoon pudding in the reception?

That party that Peggy went to featured a lot of clothing that I vaguely remember seeing at H&M.

Another episode without Betty and the kids.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of a meandering episode.

bunnyoswaldo

Reaction score
I forget ...does Campbell know about his kid with Peggy? What was all the head banging and furtive looks for? Does Peggy still like that waszle (wasp+weasel)?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol @ Peggy peeking over the wall.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pete knows about the baby, but he thinks she had an abortion. If I recall correctly (it was the season ender for 2 or 3 I think).

imightbechad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fwiffo
I was thinking how Campbell had the strangest way to ditch a client who is his father in law but I guess it's only him to have a baby and use that to shake down more business from good old "dad". I didn't get the point of Cosgrove popping up other than to say for the millionth time McCann is a terrible place to work (one wonders if they actually paid for this publicity whether they should ask for a refund). I didn't get the inflection - was he still there or did he go on to another agency? It's rather sad that Cosgrove thinks Draper is a drunk too in addition to Allison. Draper looked a bit shocked at having something thrown at him; you would have thought he would have expected her to blow up one day.

With Ponds on its way out, does that mean no Rumsen either? Even though it appears his creative was spot on for the Ponds account.

Is Cooper now doing his afternoon pudding in the reception?

That party that Peggy went to featured a lot of clothing that I vaguely remember seeing at H&M.

Another episode without Betty and the kids.

Thanks?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe they were keeping Ponds. They got all the new stuff from Pete's FIL, but spun Clearasil off to someone else so they could keep Ponds too.

nicad2000

Reaction score
Was anyone else really hoping that they meant Joan when that warning of brief nudity was flashed at the beginning of the episode?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nicad2000
Was anyone really hoping that they meant Joan when that warning of brief nudity was flashed at the beginning of the episode?

laugh.gif
yes.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why, but the scene with Don, the half assed apology letter, and the plopping on the couch had me rolling.

That was about as much effort he was willing to put into his apology. Hahahahahahaha. He's such an asshole.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking how Campbell had the strangest way to ditch a client who is his father in law but I guess it's only him to have a baby and use that to shake down more business from good old "dad".
He put the father in his place, and I'm glad he did. The father wanted to be seen as the all providing alpha male, even in Pete's marriage. He set it up by paying their rent in SE1 and going over unannounced, then interveaning in the matter of pregnancy when it was none of his business. Even with his eps he started with the "You guys must need a bigger place." Honestly, the father was more of an asshole than Pete was.
Originally Posted by bunnyoswaldo
I forget ...does Campbell know about his kid with Peggy?
Yes He didn't know for the longest time until she told him during the Cuban missile crisis. Anyone know what what the group of hipsters and the group of business men meant when Peggy went over to join them? The way they edited it it seems like they wanted it to be something significant, but Peggy doesn't really fit in that group.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About Joan crying last episode....

I was talking to my father this evening over the phone and he said she was crying because she saw how confident and happy her husband was he was doing medical work. That was the only time he was in his element, and she wished that other things, like her marriage brought him the same kind of joy and confidence.

It seemed like everyone on sf has a different opinion as to why she was crying. I still think it was because it made her feel childish. I think in a broader sense, Joan was made to be Peggy's opposite. Peggy is the career girl who is comfortable in being valued for her analytical skills, but there is a small part of Peggy that wants to be that beautiful objectified glamor girl who everyone is kind to, hence the Bye Bye Birdie singing in the mirror late at night.

Joan on the other hand wants to be objectified and does amazingly well at it. She has no problem being told to wear a particular dress because it's sexy, or using her sex appeal to make other women feel dominated. Still, with her there is a small part of the other side that appeals to her. She really loved doing that commercial work a season or two ago and was genuinely proud of it. She even admired Peggy when she got her own office.

Joan's role as a woman also gets to extreme, even for her. She was raped, and she doesn't like feeling like a little girl, which given the comment "That only works on children" when her husband distracted her to put the needle in, is what caused her to reflect on her marriage and start to cry.

streetminimal

Reaction score
mad.men.s04e04.hdtv.xvid-fqm.avi_snapshot_29.35_%5B2010.08.16_21.28.19%5D.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads