• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saracen

Reaction score
I love how the 'Alden Fan Club' always comes out in a defensive mode whenever someone posts a QC issue. It's no secret that Alden has problems. They're trying to keep up with demand and are sacrificing quality (if they mean to or not). Materials and techniques are the same as they've always been, but workmanship is lacking. This is what I've seen and gathered from all of the posts here with 'issues' as well as some of the boots and shoes I've bought myself. I've seen inconsistencies in sizing and fit as well (same leather/last/model). Alden needs to slow down. The speed hooks are definitely on the cheap side. I can bend them with my fingers. In comparison my Red Wing GT speed hooks are of a much higher quality and very solid. My 2 cents. Edit: I meant my Red Wing Iron Rangers. GTs have no speed hooks. I own both pairs (got mixed up).
smile.gif

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by saracen
I love how the 'Alden Fan Club' always comes out in a defensive mode whenever someone posts a QC issue. It's no secret that Alden has problems. They're trying to keep up with demand and are sacrificing quality (if they mean to or not). Materials and techniques are the same as they've always been, but workmanship is lacking. This is what I've seen and gathered from all of the posts here with 'issues' as well as some of the boots and shoes I've bought myself. I've seen inconsistencies in sizing and fit as well (same leather/last/model). Alden needs to slow down.
The speed hooks are definitely on the cheap side. I can bend them with my fingers. In comparison my Red Wing GT speed hooks are of a much higher quality and very solid.
My 2 cents.

About sums it up. At least 30% of Alden boots I've personally seen have had a significant flaw and none have been shoemart seconds. Sizing inconsistencies? Yeah, definately. And the hardware is cheap, cheap. I don't have any recent red wings, just an older model from the 70's, and when i compare the hardware of that boot to the hardware on my Alden boots, the Aldens just blush with embarrassment.

In the end I vote with my wallet and I like Alden boots enough to still buy them. But now when I lay down my card I don't feel like I'm buying a great boot. I feel like I'm buying the chance of receiving a great boot. A fair portion of the time I end up disappointed and have to either return or flip.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love how the 'Alden Fan Club' always comes out in a defensive mode whenever someone posts a QC issue. It's no secret that Alden has problems. They're trying to keep up with demand and are sacrificing quality (if they mean to or not). Materials and techniques are the same as they've always been, but workmanship is lacking. This is what I've seen and gathered from all of the posts here with 'issues' as well as some of the boots and shoes I've bought myself. I've seen inconsistencies in sizing and fit as well (same leather/last/model). Alden needs to slow down.
The speed hooks are definitely on the cheap side. I can bend them with my fingers. In comparison my Red Wing GT speed hooks are of a much higher quality and very solid.
My 2 cents.

Then buy Red Wings.
teacha.gif

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
Then buy Red Wings.
teacha.gif

Really? Great comment!

I think if you read it more carefully you'd see I was comparing the speed hooks.

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
About sums it up. At least 30% of Alden boots I've personally seen have had a significant flaw and none have been shoemart seconds. Sizing inconsistencies? Yeah, definately. And the hardware is cheap, cheap. I don't have any recent red wings, just an older model from the 70's, and when i compare the hardware of that boot to the hardware on my Alden boots, the Aldens just blush with embarrassment.

In the end I vote with my wallet and I like Alden boots enough to still buy them. But now when I lay down my card I don't feel like I'm buying a great boot. I feel like I'm buying the chance of receiving a great boot. A fair portion of the time I end up disappointed and have to either return or flip.

I agree. I still like Aldens and recently ordered another pair, but I'm almost holding my breath in anticipation that they will not have any flaws.
confused.gif

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
of course we still like aldens because of the nice aesthetic of the boots and great materials e.g cordovan or chromexcel or whatever... but it's just the minor things that make its a good boot rather than a great boot.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I love how the 'Alden Fan Club' always comes out in a defensive mode whenever someone posts a QC issue. It's no secret that Alden has problems. They're trying to keep up with demand and are sacrificing quality (if they mean to or not). Materials and techniques are the same as they've always been, but workmanship is lacking. This is what I've seen and gathered from all of the posts here with 'issues' as well as some of the boots and shoes I've bought myself. I've seen inconsistencies in sizing and fit as well (same leather/last/model). Alden needs to slow down. The speed hooks are definitely on the cheap side. I can bend them with my fingers. In comparison my Red Wing GT speed hooks are of a much higher quality and very solid. My 2 cents. Edit: I meant my Red Wing Iron Rangers. GTs have no speed hooks. I own both pairs (got mixed up).
smile.gif

How many times are you going to post alden hate? We get it dude, you sound like a broken record and you ordered another pair?

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
How many times are you going to post alden hate? We get it dude, you sound like a broken record and you ordered another pair?

Nice! Hate is a pretty strong word. I don't think I ever posted anything based on 'hate'.

But, I think you just answered your own question (ie broken record). Maybe everyone should post their issues with Aldens, until the company sees the light and do something about it.

Or hey, you can always just ignore it and hope for the best, right?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it seems like the general consensus is that they are good shoes with minor issues, obviously the shoes don't fall apart after several wears..otherwise you guys wouldn't own multiple pairs. But because of their price points, the quality overall could be better. Thanks for the input, guys. I think I will stop the Alden madness for now and see how my pairs hold up. If they do fine, then more will be added to the collection.
biggrin.gif

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
So it seems like the general consensus is that they are good shoes with minor issues, obviously the shoes don't fall apart after several wears..otherwise you guys wouldn't own multiple pairs. But because of their price points, the quality overall could be better.

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I will stop the Alden madness for now and see how my pairs hold up. If they do fine, then more will be added to the collection.
biggrin.gif

Yes. By no means take any of what 'I' say as all Aldens have problems kind of sentiment. You'll find some folks that have never had issues and then some that have had multiple issues. I think generally speaking they are great shoes and a great value, but they do need to watch what goes out of the factory better.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think generally speaking they are great shoes and a great value
I've said this before, but I think the idea that Alden = great value is largely unjustified group think. that is, unless you also think that high end British lines like Grenson Rose, C&J, AS Premier, and smaller production shoes like Martegani and Rider Boot, are all also great value. Pediwear has all those British shoes in the same price range as Alden, and Rider Boot and Martegani have a higher retail but are more often found on sale (which Alden rarely does). I think Alden does occupy a niche which makes them desirable for other reasons. They are American, which many Americans love, and they do custom makeups for retailers like Leathersoul, which is cool, and in particular they make more boots than most other people, and they seem to be the highest volume producer of the rare shell colors (though this is nearly by default). so these are all legit reasons to buy them. but just on a pure price: quality ranking, I can't see how they are, in general, great value.

saracen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I've said this before, but I think the idea that Alden = great value is largely unjustified group think. that is, unless you also think that high end British lines like Grenson Rose, C&J, AS Premier, and smaller production shoes like Martegani and Rider Boot, are all also great value. Pediwear has all those British shoes in the same price range as Alden, and Rider Boot and Martegani have a higher retail but are more often found on sale (which Alden rarely does).

I think Alden does occupy a niche which makes them desirable for other reasons. They are American, which many Americans love, and they do custom makeups for retailers like Leathersoul, which is cool, and in particular they make more boots than most other people, and they seem to be the highest volume producer of the rare shell colors (though this is nearly by default). so these are all legit reasons to buy them. but just on a pure price: quality ranking, I can't see how they are, in general, great value.

As you can see, I have some time today to actually post some comments.
smile.gif

As far as the quality vs value goes. I do think Aldens are a good value, but of course that's my opinion. I think most definitely Alfred Sargents, Tricker's, etc. are also of great value, but you really have to take into account the currency exchange. Right now they are an awesome value due to the weak pound. I don't see too many (if any) shoes that use shell cordovan for onlly $600 though. I may be wrong here.

I think you're right about the 'American' thing though. It's definitely made a difference in my book (bias).

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a couple points:

historically speaking, the pound is not really "weak" right now. it's only weak against the backdrop of the extreme high from a couple years ago. iirc, when I went to the UK in 1993 the xrate was nearly exactly what it is now. it could be that many people found Style Forum and helped spike the Alden popularity at around the same time the pound was worth 2x the dollar, but that, historically, was an oddity.

re: shell, well, there aren't many shoe makers who really use a lot of shell.

Alden shell is more expensive than AE and less expensive than Vass, similar to each companies calf prices. Alden seems to produce more models in shell than either.

C&J has 5 shell models at Pediwear right now, and they are all about $577 + shipping, which is almost the exact price of Alden shell shoes at shoemart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads