• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Do people like the Varsity american college sport jackets as streetwear?

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
For the life of me, I don't know why any adult would want to wear these.

I have thought this before. But once you see someone wear it and you think it looks good, it gives you ideas and gets the mind thinking overtime

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
I got this one from the SF centralia knitting mills group buy.
The label says Skookum
So do a search on either Centralia or Skookum and you'll find lots of info on varsity jackets on this forum.

Damn that looks pretty good. Is it slim fitting?

Let's turn this thread into a possible group buy..

a-rock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flieger
I got this one from the SF centralia knitting mills group buy.
The label says Skookum
So do a search on either Centralia or Skookum and you'll find lots of info on varsity jackets on this forum.

That jacket looks awesome. Is the collar diff than on the std varsity?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
What should authentic varisty jackets be made of? Is it cotton or wool?

Wool body, leather sleeves. Usually. They can be made in a whole host of ways. Cotton shouldn't come into play too often though.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Wool body, leather sleeves. Usually. They can be made in a whole host of ways. Cotton shouldn't come into play too often though.

Most of the baseball replica ones ive seen on the net are cotton though.

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mickey711
That's what the cheaper replicas are usually made of. I wish the TOJ0s weren't discontinued...

But i suppose with cotton ones you can wash them so are more versatile or is the word functional?
Leather sleeves wouldnt go in the washing machine i would imagine.

Najee D.

Reaction score
We commissioned a pretty old company (their site's a little cleaner than Centrailia's though) to do an all wool one for us. Still a little work to go but it's a pretty trim fit and lays really well. Check the rest here.

DSC_1823-1.jpg

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, I'm liking the ones Asos has. They don't seem too generic like these jackets usually do.

Regal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VictorC
If you like the look of a varsity jacket would this be a good alternative.
I went into american apparel and ask if they had any baseball jackets and was pointed to this.

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsan403.html?cid=209

I'd say that qualifies as a baseball jacket, but is it the look you're after? Also, a jacket like that will be quite light weight. I think the one posted on the previous page looks fantastic...looks heavy and not very "teenager" at all.

ethanlee29

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper
Checked revolve and it was out of stock :[

And I've seen some on Asos, but I'm not sure if I wanna experiment with sizing and all that since Asos is across the pond and shipping might be a pain to deal with.

i have one in small if anyone's interested

VictorC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Regal
I'd say that qualifies as a baseball jacket, but is it the look you're after? Also, a jacket like that will be quite light weight. I think the one posted on the previous page looks fantastic...looks heavy and not very "teenager" at all.

Yes american apparel one was not the one i originally was after but i went into that shop because i thought they would have something. It was really light weight and i think for the rain mostly. But i bought it anyway.
What is the one you like?

Regal

Reaction score
The American Apparel one is pretty cool, definitely more for rain than the cold (as you said); I think the big winner has got to be the one Flieger posted at the bottom of page 2. Looks they were $175 on the group buy, which is a good price for a solid jacket like that!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads