• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mg428

Reaction score
Those boots look like as if they were worn 100 times. I sometimes suspect about the calf skin quality of Alden.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thor
Speed Hook Misery.

I have had these boots for 6 days and already the speed hook is tearing. Is this a QC issue? Or just crappy design? I do tend crank my boots down- and have had issues with other speed hooks in the past (not Alden) - but not after a week.

Right now it is mainly just the top one but the others on that side are also showing signs of a similar fate. Neither the other side of the boot nor the other boot is showing such wear.

Should I return to Alden for fixing or can a cobbler do just a good of a job>quicker.

thoughts?

0041024x768p.jpg

What the hell are you doing to your boots?
facepalm.gif

If this was the only pair of boots I would blame Alden but if this is happening to your other boots.....

My advice to you is stay away from speed hooks.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Perhaps it is because I'm occasionally borderline marsupialed, but I'm a bit confused on this and can't seem to find an answer in this thread. How does one contact 'Ed' to get on said list?

800.850.7463 - Ext 801 for Ed; 802 = Joe; 803 = Dan. Any of them can help you.

Thor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahab
What the hell are you doing to your boots?
facepalm.gif

If this was the only pair of boots I would blame Alden but if this is happening to your other boots.....

My advice to you is stay away from speed hooks.

It has happened to other boots but only after years of wearing...not 6 days of mild wear. I am not cranking them down that tight...

I have had some White's packer boots with speed hooks for over 15years of heavy wear- cranking down on them for serious work- and this has not happened on them.

Regardless of how tight I wear them, for $600 these boots should not be tearing like this after about 18 hours of wear.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After seeing the picture with the speed hooks being dismantled, I want to ask.....is this a common occurance?

I'm starting to buy Alden boots now in preparation for the Fall/Winter and have yet to wear any of them. If this is common, then I would find another way to tie the shoes.

(Initially when I was trying the shoes on, I laced the laces through all of the regular holes and used the top speed hooks to secure the shoes in place).

velomane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
After seeing the picture with the speed hooks being dismantled, I want to ask.....is this a common occurance?

This happened to my shell boots after a half-dozen wears. Sent them in to be repaired (shoemart) and haven't got them back yet, so I can't comment on the repair job. Nice as they are, why would anyone spend this kind of money on footwear that falls apart after a couple weeks? As Blackadder put it: "utter crap!"

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, this is quite interesting to hear. I can't imagine this being a large scale issue (with the speed hooks) because if it is...a lot of people would be complaining, and I'm sure Alden wouldn't want to potentially lose customers who buy their pricey shoes.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anybody know what last these are? tried them on today at The Tannery in Cambridge. They seemed to fit TTS. Plaza?

18045fc8.jpg

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it is a big issue, I have 2 Indy's and both hasn't had those problems and one of them I've owned for about a year now I think. It might just be one of those problems that looks like it happens a lot because it is talked about or reported here even if the problem is one in a thousand. That's just a guess but so far, no problem with mine.

airportlobby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate speedhooks, I've never had a QC problem with them. Seems like a freak thing. Shame. See if they will replace them right off the jump if there are more in stock.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I don't think it is a big issue, I have 2 Indy's and both hasn't had those problems and one of them I've owned for about a year now I think. It might just be one of those problems that looks like it happens a lot because it is talked about or reported here even if the problem is one in a thousand. That's just a guess but so far, no problem with mine.
Haha asking the same question on two boards!

mg428

Reaction score
makewayhomer;3503268 said:
anybody know what last these are? tried them on today at The Tannery in Cambridge. They seemed to fit TTS. Plaza?

Looks like Grant last, IMO. Sherman Brothers carries the same boots in this last & style with commando sole.

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4

I'm starting to buy Alden boots now in preparation for the Fall/Winter and have yet to wear any of them. If this is common, then I would find another way to tie the shoes.

(Initially when I was trying the shoes on, I laced the laces through all of the regular holes and used the top speed hooks to secure the shoes in place).

I am not going to say how common or uncommon this it but it happens.
I was speaking to someone who works with another high end brand earlier this year and we talked a little about speed hooks. They do tear and he mentioned at the time that it is probably more likeley with shell because unlilke calf shell thickeness can vary to a larger degree.

What they are using to mount the speed hooks is probably designed for calf as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads