• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I like these, much better than the standard indy color. It's funny, anytime something new comes out people are apprehensive about it but as soon as some early adopters come along and post things in context they are quick to approve and jump on the bandwagon instead of judging it on its own merit.

I promise I will still hate them, unless they develop some type of magical patina.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Thor, I've never seen someone crank down on their speedhooks so tight it does that. That's terrible.

BlueWord

Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
Thoughts on the new natural chromexcel? The Band-Aid color of it doesn't seem that versatile.

Attachment 48651

These actually look interesting. I'd need to see real pictures to draw up any worthwhile opinions, but I think the color is nice, a lighter shade that probably displays scuffs more easily. I'd like to see how these things take dye/polish, too.

RPMcMurphy

Reaction score
what would be the best size (Alden) shoe trees, medium or small for 8D Cigar Shell longwings?

jasonfoote303

Reaction score
Thoughts on the new natural chromexcel? The Band-Aid color of it doesn't seem that versatile.

Attachment 48651

I've seen a swatch in real life and it looks great. It is heavily oiled so it darkens and lightens as it flexes. I think it will look fantastic as it ages. the samples of the leather looked so good in fact, that just about every retailer that I can think of ordered shoes or boots made with it. Be on the lookout for at least 10 or 15 new models in this leather showing up on the next few months.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Cordovan color comparison.
L to R: #8, cigar, Polo/C&J brown, whiskey, ravello.
cordovans.jpg

TintoTerra

Reaction score
Went into Context this week to buy a jacket and some shirts, and ended up on a whim trying on some of the 'Roy' boots. Ended up buying them on the spot. I'm already thinking of getting another pair!

Quick question: is polish OK on chromexcel leather or do I just use leather creme?

joz411no

Reaction score

Attachment 48651

I suspect those will catch on like wildfire. When I look at them I see a blank slate. Some neatsfoot oil and everyone burnishing their own colors in using various methods, concoctions and formulas for treating them will make them about as popular, yet mythical and mysterious, as Ravello and Whiskey shells.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RPMcMurphy
what would be the best size (Alden) shoe trees, medium or small for 8D Cigar Shell longwings?

I'm a 7C on the Barrie last and use a small. I think medium would work best for an 8D Barrie.

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those SM boots are on the Modified, don't know how they were able to order that. Jason is right, you'll be seeing a lot of Natural in about 2-8 months time. It's a very interesting leather, really changes depending on the style and makeup of the shoe/boot. I can't wait to see how it takes on color from polish. I'd love to burnish one up with various shades of color. We have the longwing and tanker boot on order in natural.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL
Those SM boots are on the Modified, don't know how they were able to order that. Jason is right, you'll be seeing a lot of Natural in about 2-8 months time. It's a very interesting leather, really changes depending on the style and makeup of the shoe/boot. I can't wait to see how it takes on color from polish. I'd love to burnish one up with various shades of color. We have the longwing and tanker boot on order in natural.

Longwing in natural?
Sign me up!

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeatherSOUL

Tom, I think those are seconds from shoemart (yes, they sell modified seconds too). Are you going to be doing an order on the PTBs? If so, I'd like to get a pair!

Great to know that you have natural longwings on order. They'll go well with khakis and jeans. I made a post over at MC about this after Nick blogged about it, but no one cared.

Below is a pic from Nick's (Horween) blog showing natural chromexel (a PTB) in real life. I really like the contrast welt stitching (like the indy) and the brown piping (in the facing and the throat) on these PTBs.

FWioZ.jpg

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to some quality issues i mentioned earlier in this thread, here are some pictures.
side-2.jpg
boot.jpg
This happened after around 3-4 wears and slowly has increased to what it is now after perhaps 25 wears. I was a little disappointed because I did expect issues like this to not occur when shelling $450 for shoes. I don't know if this will cause significant problems or not down the track. They are alden x winnperry officer boots, in calf, barrie last, double waterloc sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads