• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fit opinion on 2 suits

mech IFR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scurvyfreedman
Look at Vox's Weekly WAYWRN http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=165694 thread to see proper fit. Scroll through the months of selected pictures. It will give you an idea of proper fit that is sometimes narrow, but always properly sized. It will also give you an idea of acceptable sleeve length. There is a range, but the range only extends to about 1/2" of shirt sleeve showing with button cuffs and maybe 3/4" with double or French cuffs.

What do the jackets measure across the chest under the armpits and across the shoulders sleeve the sleeve in back. I might be willing to take this off your hands for a profit enough to tailor your first suit that's close enough to your true measurements.

This is the type of info I'm looking for, thanks scurvy. I'll start making my way thru Vox's thread.

Also, armpit to armpit the jackets measure 19.5 (pin) and 19.75 (tan). Shoulders are 16.5 and length (BOC) is 29.75 (pin) and 29.5 (tan). Sleeves are 23 on both suits as measured by A Harris' method. I have another mid grey micro-check suit of the same quality (same tailor/donor) in the same measurements.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mech IFR
length (BOC) is 29.75 (pin) and 29.5 (tan).

How tall are you? That length sounds like about a Regular, maybe you need Long sizes. Are you 6'+?

Or maybe your wearing your trousers lower than you should be in the pics, which would make the jackets look shorter than they are.

mech IFR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
How tall are you? That length sounds like about a Regular, maybe you need Long sizes. Are you 6'+?

Or maybe your wearing your trousers lower than you should be in the pics, which would make the jackets look shorter than they are.

I'm 6'2". I'm pretty sure the trousers are where the should be. Probably a height issue?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
youve got a good thome brown look going on.

i agree, you just need to get invited to hipster parties

jackgibbs

Reaction score
I'm 6'0 185 and I wear a 42, meaning my pit to pit is usually around 22 inches, length at least 30.5, and that barely covers my butt. my shoulders are 19" across. these suits need a couple inches, basically everywhere.

you can tell the chest is tight by the way the lapels bow towards the button, rather than making a crisp V. your jacket should generally be long enough to cover your junk in front and your entire butt in back. And as stated above 1/4" to a full inch at the most of shirt cuff is all that should be visible under your suit cuff.

I can't tell where you're wearing your pants, but if like me you're more used to jeans than trousers, they're probably too low on your hips. I think if your trousers are sitting just below your navel, that's considered about right, even still a little low to some.

one of the most helpful threads other than browsing waywrn and the like can be found here. It's great to see the before and after side by side to really learn what even small tweaks can do.

for six bucks, I'd make this mistake, all day every day. the suits still look like they're really well made, the worst that can happen is you flip them for a tidy profit on ebay

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'2". I'm pretty sure the trousers are where the should be. Probably a height issue?

Yeah, you're definitely gonna need long sizes at 6'2". Measure around your chest under your arm-pits in inches, then add an L and that's the size you want. Those jackets sound like somewhere around a 36R-37R, so you probably want more like a 38L-40L.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the type of info I'm looking for, thanks scurvy. I'll start making my way thru Vox's thread. Also, armpit to armpit the jackets measure 19.5 (pin) and 19.75 (tan). Shoulders are 16.5 and length (BOC) is 29.75 (pin) and 29.5 (tan). Sleeves are 23 on both suits as measured by A Harris' method. I have another mid grey micro-check suit of the same quality (same tailor/donor) in the same measurements.
My guess is that those jackets are size 36. I wear 38R-40s depending on the brand and I'm 5'6.5" 160. My chest measures 40 around and my jackets, regardless of label usually measure about 21 pit to pit. Sometimes a 38 fits perfect, but sometimes it's only 19.5 pit-pit and therefore too tight. Sometimes a 40s is as much as 22 pit-pit and therefore too big. The shoulders that fit me are 17.5-18. Most size 40 are 19 across the shoulders, but some are 18, so it's truly hunting and pecking for the right fit across a range of sizes. My guess is that you need a 40L-42L depending on brand based upon your height and weight. Good luck.

pendragon

Reaction score
Next time you are tempted by a suit like that, think of a fat assed girl squeezing into her little sister's jeans.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The balance is way off for you. The fronts are too short and the back is too long.

Overall, the coat is too short.

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the whole thing is too small/short, though the shoulders don't look terrible from the front, just odd.
if that makes sense.

greyinla

Reaction score
What they said, too small.

But proportions and quality look decent; you can probably sell them for a profit on ebay or B&S.
smile.gif

jackgibbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pendragon
Next time you are tempted by a suit like that, think of a fat assed girl squeezing into her little sister's jeans.

ugh.

it's obvious from his post that he knows these suits don't fit; he wants to know why. comments like this don't help anything, they just make me think you're a gigantic asshole.

I love this forum for its wealth of knowledge, I just really wish I could read it without posts like this

JensenH

Reaction score
You are definitely a "long" for your suit size. Notice the waist of both jackets are higher than where your waist is.

Bishop of Briggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jackgibbs
ugh. it's obvious from his post that he knows these suits don't fit; he wants to know why. comments like this don't help anything, they just make me think you're a gigantic asshole. I love this forum for its wealth of knowledge, I just really wish I could read it without posts like this
Spot on. The word **** is apt to describe time-wasting morons like the original poster.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bishop of Briggs
Spot on. The word **** is apt to describe time-wasting morons like the original poster.

A bishop and such a foul mouth on him. Sometimes I despair of the world.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads