• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hipster explanation needed

Mountains

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sexlexcia
lol lets be honest. in highschool most of these hipsters were the "weird socially marsupialed" kids. theyre a mix of all types of subcultures into 1.

Just weird, in my case. I was a theater kid; we stuck together for the most part.

c00kz

Reaction score
Idk, "hipster" kinda varies on the region. When one person calls another a hipster though, there's usually a guaranteed set of characteristics. 1, hipster is thin(ner). 2, into (possibly misguided) style. 3, likely a narcissist to some degree, from a casual fan of myspace self-portraiture to, y'know, the raving pathological narcissists, like those girls who stab others in the back and climb the social ladder with religious fervor.

madstaxbro

Reaction score
If you opened this thread for more than 2 seconds you are a hipster.

alex-san

Reaction score
being called a hipster is the worst fcking insult anyone say to me. skinny jeans and v-necks dont make you a hipster. being marsupialed makes you a hipster. http://www.latfh.com/

Saul Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Helvetica and vintage photo effects, then you are a hipster.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool." Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool."

Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.

This could be the best post in the history of sf. Needs more Badieu, discussion of empty signifiers, and possibly a discussion of sartrian mauvaise foie. Then it will be on point, and totally meta-literal.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool." Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.
Very good, indeed the hipster is one who diverts from the mainstream in an almost knee-jerk fashion in order to achieve the largely undefined status of 'authenticity'. Their use of irony fits in well with the snarky superiority complex they have over the world as a result of being 'authentic', that they use irony as if to say "I am so cool that I need only present myself as being uncool to show how cool I am".

buttman

Reaction score
I think being a hipster used to mean using irony as an ethos but now its just a vague insult people throw at anyone they don't know that seems threateningly confident and alternative.

Even the irony thing doesn't seem to hold up. If there are people who solely do things for ironic reasons, there can't be that many. It seems like it would be a pretty depressing life to have no real interests.

Nowadays most of the people I hear called hipsters seem to be pretty serious about the non-mainstream music that they like.

In conclusion, its just bullshit. I, for one, would just like to move on.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Authenticity is a quality while irony in this case is a vessel, so they can be authentic in their interests while expressing them through the use of irony, though the irony in itself is not authentic or inauthentic as it is just a means to an end.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
To be a hipster is to exist in a negative cultural space by which your only signifiers are what can be deemed ironically cool and thus appropriated and intergrated into your personal brand. You do not engage in the creation of meanings (as other subcultures do), but rather, are a part of the dissasociation of cultural attributes from the object's original meanings and a facilitator of their transformation into a kitschy lifestyle accessory that simply signifies "cool."

Hipsters, unlike other subcultures, do not create meanings. Rather, through ironic appropriation, they destroy the very authenticity that made them cool in the first place.

Assembling diverse cultural fragments into a collage that voids them of their original context is a creative endeavour too. Honestly that's what I believe hipsters are; western youth who make collage and flatten content (think Murakami's superflat which is just a chain of signification without stable ideological meaning).

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
This could be the best post in the history of sf. Needs more Badieu, discussion of empty signifiers, and possibly a discussion of sartrian mauvaise foie. Then it will be on point, and totally meta-literal.

Do you mean Bourdieu or Badiou (both excellent but quite distinct thinkers).

Oh and you meant "foi" (faith) not "foie" (liver).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads