• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ed Hardy hate explained

Usul

Reaction score
Makeshift_Robot;3284821 said:
Do not understand graphic tees. Even before I was into fashion, I didn't like them. When I was like eleven I asked my Mom to stop buying me shirts with stuff on them.

This was when I regularly wore my parka to school only buttoning the top snap and with my arms out of the sleeves, so that it trailed behind me like a cloak.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is correct.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
visual interest on an otherwise generally boring type of garment

No such thing as a "generally boring type of garment". If you want to have a boring garment, you can: look at all the people in Fifth Avenues and Levis 514s (not together, of course). But there's no reason a shirt can't be interesting without having **** all over it. You do prints a lot, and they work for you; I'm really partial to florals and some paisleys. That's fine; the Puma Kehinde Wiley collection did some neat prints on their shoes.

There's no reason not to do a fairisle or plaid T, or to incorporate an engaging silhouette or construction detail. Even a V- or U-neck can keep a T from looking like a body tube. I really like the t shirts with a little pocket, that could only hold like four little sticks of gum.

There's just no reason IMO to go for a bigass picture on the front of the shirt. I've seen it done very well, but I've never liked it for myself and I don't know why it's the norm.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love a glen plaid boatneck tee

airblaster503

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Made in California

Reaction score
I like Dirt Nasty

Originally Posted by Fluery
I really don't get all the Ed Hardy hate...sure it's ugly and gaudy to me, but if some people like it and wear it that doesn't bother me.

I feel like this is a really 1-dimensional viewpoint. "Look at shirt, see shirt, like shirt?, not for me, OK". Whereas what is really going on is obvious: as you pointed out, literally nothing Ed Hardy makes looks good, so you have to wonder for their motivation to wear it. Either the person has genuinely bad taste, which I think is pretty rare and is unlikely in this situation. What is likely is that the person has no taste, and is superficial. Since the distasteful designs are so easily recognizable, everyone can see that your shirt is 'expensive' (I realize this is relative). So to just ignore their motivation and just say "oh I'm not into it but people do what they want" is being intentionally naive.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celticgent
In my opinion, at least the Sailor Jerry products are something that look almost authentic. I don't know a whole lot about the products, but the few that I've seen were basic t-shirts etc. that had his artwork screenprinted on it...whereas the Ed Hardy stuff looked like somebody ate his studio book, some dayglo paint, glitter and rhinestones and **** out whiteboy gangsta gear. The Sailor Jerry seemed more retro workwear with Jerry's tattoos printed on them, although I'm no expert.

However Sailor Jerry rum is really tasty IMO.

Despot

Reaction score
This is all.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
the Ed Hardy wearers don't really bother me. since we're busy stereotyping in this thread, i see them mostly worn by clueless, harmless looking people.

it's the Affliction and Tapout wearers that are annoying - walking around the mall with puffed-out chests, staring at everyone like they are looking for an excuse to unleash their fierce MMA skills on you

I know guys like this, and I know a lot of serious MMA fighters, including some professionals who fight in fairly well known promotions, as well.

For the most part, MMA fighters who wear this stuff get it for free, or are contractually obligated to wear it. They are generally not into clothes, but they sort of like the stuff, in the same way that an IT guy likes the Google tee he got at a convention - it was cheap/free, sort of cool to them, and they don't think much about it beyond that. Some of the fighters are douchebags, but the clothes are not their way of showing it. They would act like tools if they were all dressed in Attolini matched with Mantellassi shoes.

They guys at the mall who are meanmugging probably couldn't make it out of the first half hour of a serious practice, and are probably better candidates for a bully beatdown than for any serious competition.

And yeah, I hate Affliction and Tapout more than I hate Ed Hardy. Pretend tough guys bother me more than real douchebags.

Vinnie Vegas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Made in California
I feel like this is a really 1-dimensional viewpoint. "Look at shirt, see shirt, like shirt?, not for me, OK". Whereas what is really going on is obvious: as you pointed out, literally nothing Ed Hardy makes looks good, so you have to wonder for their motivation to wear it. Either the person has genuinely bad taste, which I think is pretty rare and is unlikely in this situation. What is likely is that the person has no taste, and is superficial. Since the distasteful designs are so easily recognizable, everyone can see that your shirt is 'expensive' (I realize this is relative). So to just ignore their motivation and just say "oh I'm not into it but people do what they want" is being intentionally naive.
Hmm... Not bad, but I don't think it explains the hatred.

I think it's the arrogant cluelessness that the bravado of wearing Ed Hardy clothing displays. It's an inverse correlation between how fashionable the clothing is and how fashionable the wearer THINKS the clothing is.

It's like some douchebag who puts a spoiler and a dump exhaust on a beat up old car. If a guy has a crappy car, but he knows it's crappy, and either can't afford a better one, or doesn't care enough to bother, then you wouldn't mock him for it. But when a guy starts modifying a crappy car, he creates the same inverse correlation between his perception of the car's quality and the reality of it.

I suppose you could suggest that it's just a matter of their perception vs. your perception, but it offends the sensibilities more if you think that the person is violating a more universal rule of taste/style.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vinnie Vegas
... it's the arrogant cluelessness that the bravado of wearing Ed Hardy clothing displays. It's an inverse correlation between how fashionable the clothing is and how fashionable the wearer THINKS the clothing is.

Haha, I really like this.

adidasfan

Reaction score
I have 2 pieces by Ed Hardy a super soft shirt with a naked chick and the title "No Regrets" and super dark blue jeans with a woman embrodered on the back pocket.

I love em.

But i hate most of their stuff its just ugly but they do have a few nice pieces

Dont be hatin

Adubz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasfan
I have 2 pieces by Ed Hardy a super soft shirt with a naked chick and the title "No Regrets" and super dark blue jeans with a woman embrodered on the back pocket. I love em. But i hate most of their stuff its just ugly but they do have a few nice pieces Dont be hatin
You must be a chick magnet.

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adidasfan
I have 2 pieces by Ed Hardy a super soft shirt with a naked chick and the title "No Regrets" and super dark blue jeans with a woman embrodered on the back pocket.

I love em.

But i hate most of their stuff its just ugly but they do have a few nice pieces

Dont be hatin

Do you watch Jersey Shore too?

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with graphic tees ( I own ones that are very subtle). However, Ed hardy is absolutely the most abhorrent clothing I've ever set my eyes on. I definitely only meet beach douche types that wear this stuff. What bothers me is just how obnoxious everyone looks wearing that stuff. It's perfect for attention whores, though.

lol @ jersey shore comment.

adidasfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnH123
Do you watch Jersey Shore too?

actually i hate jersey shore.

i dress well most of the time but Ed Hardy has its place in the fashion landscape.

if i want to go to a nightclub in San Diego or Orange County that is gonna be
full of while people as a Asian (Indian) i need to convey to the
white people that I am fun...so i picked up a pair of jeans and shirt by Ed Hardy
and I have to admit as much as I hate Ed Hardys stuff (in general) his cloths
make me look like i belong in these clubs.

i like going to Decos, Voyuer, Altitude and a few other clubs in San Diego and
by looking like a typical client i get in these clubs...that wasn't always the case
before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics