• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best MTM Suits in Toronto or Ontario

bespokenIV

Reaction score
I am looking to get 4 suits fitted for a wedding and want to find a good MTM suit maker. There are no real bespoke tailors in Toronto so and the MTM shops I've visited seem uneducated about what makes a good suit. My budget is around $800-$1400. If someone knows of a good shirt maker as well I would appreciate it in Ontario please.

Looch

Reaction score
I'm sure you know about GotStyle on King. No personal experience but heard good things many times. Also, don't overthink it too much- a MTM Samuelsohn from Harry's can be great.

GucciKid

Reaction score
Check out Don Lee at Trend Custom Tailors in Toronto. He does high end made to measure/bespoke (he cuts individual patterns for the pants, but not the jackets, while providing multiple fittings) and would fall in your price range depending on fabric.

He also makes bespoke shirts, and does quite a bit of wedding attire, all of it very nice from what I have seen.

jbcstar123

Reaction score
I would suggest checking out 5th on King (Sprezzatura) at King and Yonge. Their MTM suits start at around 900 and go up from there depending on the cloth chosen. The following post by another Style Forum member echoes my experience with them (including the list of pros and cons) -

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...46&postcount=6.

I had a 2 piece, 2 button suit made with Holland & Sherry 14 oz cloth that I am very happy with. They also provide free alternations for 2 years.

This other link also provides some suggestions for MTM in Toronto - http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=108258

Hopes this helps and good luck.

J.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Spiros on the Danforth and he did good work but was too conservative and didn't take instruction well when it came to fit. Everything was too baggy, it had good shape but a loose fit. If you want something like this then that is the place to go, if you want something more trendy go elsewhere.

I'm not sure about 5th on King, they said they did bespoke on site but I thought it was all overseas. They also told me they were twice the cost of Spiros which I took to mean about 1800 starting.

jbcstar123

Reaction score
I am only aware of 5th on King's MTM program. I would be surprised that they did bespoke, at least in the true sense of the word.

While most of the MTM work is done oversees they have a tailor on site for the 2nd and 3rd fittings. The process was not rushed and a lot of time and effort went into ensuring a great fit.

As for pricing, it was December 2009-January 2010 that I was last there and the suit prices varied depending on the cloth selected. H&S and cloth from some of the other mills were more expensive (approx. 2000 after tax for a suit), but they did offer a range of cloth choices for suits in the 900-1400 range.

Maybe pricing has changed since I have been there a few months ago, but, based on my experience, they are at least worth talking with to see what options are available for someone in the OP's price range.

J.

Doxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bespokenIV
I am looking to get 4 suits fitted for a wedding and want to find a good MTM suit maker. There are no real bespoke tailors in Toronto so and the MTM shops I've visited seem uneducated about what makes a good suit. My budget is around $800-$1400. If someone knows of a good shirt maker as well I would appreciate it in Ontario please.

There are bespoke suit makers in Toronto. There are bespoke shoe makers in Toronto.

If you want custom shirts, Marlon Durrant does a great bespoke shirt. And I mean bespoke - separate pattern made for each customer.

Xavier custom tailor does full bespoke suits as well. Again, a unique pattern is drafted for each customer.

What exactly do you think makes a good suit? And do you think that your budget is reasonable for what you consider to be a good suit?

If you're looking for a Ferrari at Ford prices, you are wasting your time. Regardless of whether you're in Toronto, NY, Napoli, or HKG, you get what you pay for.

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LVoer
I went to Spiros on the Danforth and he did good work but was too conservative and didn't take instruction well when it came to fit. Everything was too baggy, it had good shape but a loose fit. If you want something like this then that is the place to go, if you want something more trendy go elsewhere.

I concur with this statement regarding Spiros. I like the suit - only pants are too high rise for me - jacket little too much on the baggy side - Spiros very conservative and doesn't take instructions too well.

troop

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jbcstar123
I am only aware of 5th on King's MTM program. I would be surprised that they did bespoke, at least in the true sense of the word.

While most of the MTM work is done oversees they have a tailor on site for the 2nd and 3rd fittings. The process was not rushed and a lot of time and effort went into ensuring a great fit.

As for pricing, it was December 2009-January 2010 that I was last there and the suit prices varied depending on the cloth selected. H&S and cloth from some of the other mills were more expensive (approx. 2000 after tax for a suit), but they did offer a range of cloth choices for suits in the 900-1400 range.

Maybe pricing has changed since I have been there a few months ago, but, based on my experience, they are at least worth talking with to see what options are available for someone in the OP's price range.

J.

That's odd, when I stopped in everything was being touted as superior and adbove market to places like Trend and Spiros. I specifically asked where the suits were made and the answer was "here".

SDavid

Reaction score
I use Suits in the City who make great suits and shirts at incredible prices. I have bought a number of suits from them and their custom suits start at less than $600. I think their shirts start at $70 or so. A good friend of mine had his entire wedding party outfitted and everyone was really happy with their suits. They are event based so they can keep their overhead down and I think they have to be due for an event in September or October. Get on their mailing list and you'll get the updates.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does mytailor make good suits? You could always check them for a fitting when they're in town. Actually they just left Toronto.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SDavid
I use Suits in the City who make great suits and shirts at incredible prices. I have bought a number of suits from them and their custom suits start at less than $600. I think their shirts start at $70 or so. A good friend of mine had his entire wedding party outfitted and everyone was really happy with their suits. They are event based so they can keep their overhead down and I think they have to be due for an event in September or October. Get on their mailing list and you'll get the updates.

Can somebody ban this
spam[1].gif
mer already?

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Wait, is your bugdet 800-1400 per suit, or total for 4 suits?

If it's per suit, I recommend Alian Design on Yonge. He does full bespoke in that price range (depending on cloth and how much hand work you choose).

He also does alterations, and I'm extremely happy with his work. He's even fixed indochino suits for me at a really reasonable price, if you want to go through that avenue.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
Wait, is your bugdet 800-1400 per suit, or total for 4 suits?

If it's per suit, I recommend Alian Design on Yonge. He does full bespoke in that price range (depending on cloth and how much hand work you choose).

He also does alterations, and I'm extremely happy with his work. He's even fixed indochino suits for me at a really reasonable price, if you want to go through that avenue.

What does he charge for MTM?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads