• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The black blazer thread

Jazzman19

Reaction score
I know...I know. Most here are not a fan of the black blazer. I nabbed one on deep discount yesterday, so I promised to disregard my own skepticism. A cursory overview of the past threads didn't reveal a lot.

So here is the deal: I have some preliminary grad school interviews for Ph.d. programs in a few weeks. I have been told, and have observed at conferences in the past, that suits are a no go...never wear them to these interviews because people will think you don't care about your research. Silly? Absolutely. Tweed is also a no go because it comes off as arrogant, like you think you already have a professorship.

The black coat seemed to be the best bet. The only think i am stuck on is how to pair it with jeans and something other than a white oxford. I have loads of of washed patterned oxfords from j crew. My favorites are ones with blue or greenish hues. Work ? I am assuming dark denim is the obvious pick next to basic chinos. Lastly, can I pair this outfit with my taupe desert boots and a brown belt? I am strapped for cash so i can't go buy loads of new clothes.

Thanks so much!

a-rock

Reaction score
shapeimage_1.png

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/www....hawl_Night_Long_(Tuxedo_Break-Up_Part_I).html

On StyleBlogger, he did two posts in which he attempted to break up a tux and wear the jacket and trousers in two separate casual outfits. He paired the jacket with a dark gingham shirt and stone colored chinos. Although I notice the jacket is listed as a midnight color so it might be little less harsh than jet black, which makes it easier to pair.

mickey711

Reaction score
I think we'd need to see pics in order to determine what you could wear with it. Pairing a black blazer with black jeans and a shirt in light/dark grey is a pretty safe combo.

I feel that charcoal blazers are a nice alternative as they're more versatile than black.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
shapeimage_1.png

http://www.thestyleblogger.com/www....hawl_Night_Long_(Tuxedo_Break-Up_Part_I).html

On StyleBlogger, he did two posts in which he attempted to break up a tux and wear the jacket and trousers in two separate casual outfits. He paired the jacket with a dark gingham shirt and stone colored chinos. Although I notice the jacket is listed as a midnight color so it might be little less harsh than jet black, which makes it easier to pair.

That looks horrible.

Jazzman19

Reaction score
Maybe I can get some pics on here if I can find a camera...don't own one.

I agree grey is better, and here in the northeast with fall around the corner I would have loved to pick up a jcrew of ll bean signature wool grey one. However, when you are half way to a mendicant not everything is a possibility.

Jazzman19

Reaction score
Ya, that outfit sucks, tuxedo jackets should stay tuxedo jackets.

A lot of dude's outfits on that site look like he tries too hard despite the accolades. But whatever he is doing his thing ... So props.

Street etiquette guys are way fresher.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
That looks horrible.

how so? other than the shoes of course

Jazzman19

Reaction score
Rounded lapels..contrasted at that.

Shoes

Unbuttoned Rico suave shirt

Shoes

Wants to be monochromatic, but still not pulling it off.

Liquor glass for effect

Nice hemline on the pants though.

My take.

But keep in mind I did originally ask the question.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jazzman19
Rounded lapels..contrasted at that.

lol wut

post a fit so we can see side by side comparison of who's better

Jazzman19

Reaction score
Jet: You self conscious or something?
Yes, tuxedo style jacket read the blog post.

Shawl style lapels or whatever...you get what I was trying to say despite the nomen clature. Contrasted, yes. Found on a lot of what I call proper cocktail attire in that domain. It doesn't look good to me. The operative words there are "to me," as similar to the last post. You should really work on critical reading man. You are going to need that skill when you get older.

I asked a basic question- back to the subject bro. You can think my opinions are bogus and that is fine, but when you don't contribute anything to the question or the thread you are just trying to tout an heir of superiority that does nothing more than come off as callow and tacky. Every thread that I have followed here follows the same predictable format.

- Someone who is interested in style asks a question
- That person gets some feedback pertaining to their question
- Then others pop in with opinions that are unrelated to anything acting as if they are better than you.

Dude has a blog....that is great...doesn't mean I have to like everything he does and I don't like that. If you think you can rock it without getting macked on by members of the same sex that is cool, unless of course that is your thing...in which case whatever blows your hair back. I vote left- all for your decisions.

It's an internet forum bro.

back to the topic.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jazzman19
Jet: You self conscious or something?
uhh are you a genius or something? we're on a forum about men's style
Yes, tuxedo style jacket read the blog post.

Shawl style lapels or whatever...you get what I was trying to say despite the nomen clature LOL!!.

I asked a basic question- back to the subject bro. You can think my opinions are bogus and that is fine, but when you don't contribute anything to the question or the thread you are just trying to tout an heir LOL!! of superiority that does nothing more than come off as callow and tacky. Every thread that I have followed here follows the same predictable format.

- Someone who is interested in style asks a question
- That person gets some feedback pertaining to their question
- Then others pop in with opinions that are unrelated to anything acting as if they are better than you.

Dude has a blog....that is great...doesn't mean I have to like everything he does and I don't like that. If you think you can rock it without getting macked on by members of the same sex that is cool, unless of course that is your thing...in which case whatever blows your hair back. I vote left- all for your decisions.

It's an internet forum bro.

back to the topic.

stick around, you'll look back at your posts and laugh after a year or two

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads