• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nexus
Terrible pic, but you get the idea. What the hell is wrong with these things? I had them taken in a touch at a new tailor. I'd like to give them a chance to make it right, but if this is a really elementary mistake I'll take it elsewhere.

Is it too much fabric out of the seat, maybe?

The main reason for the pocket to stick out is the short front rise -> hence the pants don't hang properly, it gets pulled up.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
So I just received my linen suit that I purchased from B&S and dropped it off for a few small alterations. Question I have is when I get it back, can I iron it to get the creases out of it or do I need to take it to a dry cleaner to get pressed?

gnumonic

Reaction score
I just did a load of laundry, and EVERY one of my colored shirts now has these odd stains that sort of look like water dripped on the shirt (but they're definitely dry). How do I get them out?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
So I just received my linen suit that I purchased from B&S and dropped it off for a few small alterations. Question I have is when I get it back, can I iron it to get the creases out of it or do I need to take it to a dry cleaner to get pressed?
Any decent alteration person can, or should be able to, do a better iron than you can.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What style of shoe lacing is best on a whole cut? Is it this one?
StraightBarLacing0.gif

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnumonic
I just did a load of laundry, and EVERY one of my colored shirts now has these odd stains that sort of look like water dripped on the shirt (but they're definitely dry). How do I get them out?

Do you use a fabric softener?

I've also seen this with liquid laundry soap that for some reason finds its way through the washing machine late very late in the wash cycle.

Why not run a shirt or two through the laundry with cold water to see if they go away - if its soap residue it will go away. If it does not go away, the cold water isn't going to hurt the stain any more than it already has.

nexus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by onix
The main reason for the pocket to stick out is the short front rise -> hence the pants don't hang properly, it gets pulled up.

That is exactly what it is, now that I look at it. Next quick question: is this something a tailor can fix or is it a construction or body type problem?

johnH123

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, another annoying shirt question. I rarely, if ever, have a need to wear and suit or slacks/SC combo, so I'm trying to put together a small yet versatile wardrobe of 'dress-up' (to me at least) outfits.

Right now I'm at a navy SB two button suit (thanks B&S), we'll call it outfit #1, as well as a grey slacks/navy SC set (again, thanks B&S) which we'll call outfit #2. I'm looking to get some MTM shirts from Modern Tailor (good idea or bad?) since I can never find anything I like shirt-wise off the rack.

So for #1 I'm thinking (to start) two french-cuffed shirts (as I'll only ever need a suit for a more formal occasion) in white and then some sort of blue/white vertical stripe with a cut-away (aka spread?) collar. Good/bad idea (especially for the collar I'm looking at)?

I'm tall with a thick neck and 'full' (not fat, just full
laugh.gif
) face. These shirts will be paired with (again, for starters) a solid navy tie and a navy/red rep stripe tie and dark burgendy longwings (on a fairly sleek last) and whatever pair of cap toe dress shoes I can get my hands on in the future. I know it sounds awefully monotone and boring, but I'm starting low-key and basic and I'll move up into more interesting outfits as I go.

For #2 I'm considering a light blue shirt and probably some sort of blue gingham pattern, to be paired with a knit tie and brown suede wingtips. My issue here is the collar. I'm stuck between a 'normal' collar (for lack of a better term, not spread or cut-away) and a button down collar. I like the BD collar idea but I'm unsure if that may be a good idea or not. I've looked in the WAYWRN thread and seen alot of the slacks/bSC/button-down collar shirt combinations that I like, but I was just curious if a BD collar would be less/more versatile for such an outfit (as well, I think they look better without a tie then other options, which works for me as I have occasion to wear slacks and a SC, but where a tie isn't necessarily needed).

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nexus
That is exactly what it is, now that I look at it. Next quick question: is this something a tailor can fix or is it a construction or body type problem?

A tailor can't do much with the rise of pants. The best he can do is let out the crotch slightly. It might not solve your problem. The next solution is to drop about 15-20 pounds.

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a vintage virgin wool sportcoat but can't seem to get the pit stench out. I even took it to the dry cleaners and it came back still smelling like an old bum under the arms. I even tried a wet cloth with a little detergent and it didn't work. What can I use on this?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
I bought a vintage virgin wool sportcoat but can't seem to get the pit stench out. I even took it to the dry cleaners and it came back still smelling like an old bum under the arms. I even tried a wet cloth with a little detergent and it didn't work. What can I use on this?
Vodka. Yes, seriously. Get some $10 booze and use a spray bottle.
Originally Posted by Cheweh
Two part question: Are these lapels too wide? and is it surgically possible for a tailor to modify lapel width? Thanks!
First part: No, they're not. In fact, I would put them pretty well in the medium width category, I wouldn't even call them wide, much less too wide. Second part: Yes, but it's almost always ill advised, it throws off the entire balance of the suit.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB

Tried using Febreze Spay? It is supposed to absorb odors and evaporate it away.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The in-house laundry service at a high-end hotel recently got a small (probably pen) ink stain on the collar of one of my dress shirts. It's an expensive shirt that I'd really like to keep if possible. Problem is, they've ironed the shirt, so the stain is pretty set.

Is there any method I can try that will remove the stain, but not damage the shirt? Note that this is a light lavender shirt with white contrast collars/cuffs, so I need a method that preserves the color of the shirt's body and also avoids bleeding body colors into the collar and cuffs.

When all is said and done, I suppose I can just have the collar replaced with a new one, given that it's white. But I'd prefer not to if I can get this stain out.

mtmindc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
The in-house laundry service at a high-end hotel recently got a small (probably pen) ink stain on the collar of one of my dress shirts. It's an expensive shirt that I'd really like to keep if possible. Problem is, they've ironed the shirt, so the stain is pretty set.

Is there any method I can try that will remove the stain, but not damage the shirt? Note that this is a light lavender shirt with white contrast collars/cuffs, so I need a method that preserves the color of the shirt's body and also avoids bleeding body colors into the collar and cuffs.

When all is said and done, I suppose I can just have the collar replaced with a new one, given that it's white. But I'd prefer not to if I can get this stain out.

I suggest soaking the collar in a highly concentrated solution of Oxiclean for a few hours. It's gotten rid of set-in sweat and food stains on shirts I've loved - it might be able to take care of some ink.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics