• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt22616

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Senator Giroux
I know that people in the thread don't like to divulge their hot spots, but I was wondering if anyone has been to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in AL. (http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/) It seems like a pretty neat idea, but I'm getting mixed reviews online. It would be a pretty decent drive for me, so if anyone has had any experiences there, it would be very awesome to hear about.

Went yesterday. I'd hold off for another month until they start putting out outerwear, that's where the crazy deals are. I've been able to pick up some great stuff over the years, but the shirts and suits were pretty picked over yesterday. My one find was a gorgeous Paul Smith black sportscoat. I'll probably only wear it to clubs at night, but it fits me like a glove.

EBTX66

Reaction score
I know that people in the thread don't like to divulge their hot spots, but I was wondering if anyone has been to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in AL. (http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/) It seems like a pretty neat idea, but I'm getting mixed reviews online. It would be a pretty decent drive for me, so if anyone has had any experiences there, it would be very awesome to hear about.

You may not have to make the trip: the Salvation Army here in Dallas recieves unclaimed baggage to sell. It's any item with a red tag. You should check with your local SA.

sailorjerry1965

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
You may not have to make the trip: the Salvation Army here in Dallas recieves unclaimed baggage to sell. It's any item with a red tag. You should check with your local SA.

Do all major air hubs have an unclaimed baggage depot? I'm not far from from DIA and I would imagine they have a fair amount of lost stuff.

How would I find out where this stuff goes? I never thought of this as an option but it's worth checking into.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66

Thanks for the tip! Atlanta's a pretty big hub city, so maybe I'll luck out.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow - wish I lived closer! This sounds like a great spot.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not major stuff, but i just made a quick apres-taco run to my downtown goodwill and picked up a nice faded navy fisherman's knit cotton sweater from something called blumarine uomo (perfect beach sweater) and a like-new slate gray cotton shawl collar pullover from rlp ... grand total of $8.50. really frustrating the stuff i had to pass up because they didn't fit me ... someone had dumped a load of 40L harris tweed jackets, and there was also a really sweet ascot chang navy blazer in a 40 and another navy blazer from BBGF that was about the same.

NathansPost

Reaction score
Double breasted charcole Zegna suit, my size, great condition, $8. Allen Edmonds oxblood wingtips, good shape, $20. Brand new (no shop wear) Dacks loafers, $30. I've scored a Brioni shirt (a little big), Zegna Sport chambray style shirt and a few other things too. Thrifting life is good in Victoria!

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sailorjerry1965
Do all major air hubs have an unclaimed baggage depot? I'm not far from from DIA and I would imagine they have a fair amount of lost stuff.

How would I find out where this stuff goes? I never thought of this as an option but it's worth checking into.

Thanks for the tip! Atlanta's a pretty big hub city, so maybe I'll luck out.

I'm not really sure how it works. I just know that about the SA in DFW because I made friends with the manager.

It is Southwest Airlines that donates to the SA. DFW airport is the American Airlines headquarters and all I could find about their policy is vague mentions of unclaimed baggage "auctions". Thanks but no thanks.

I believe that everything gets shipped to the main clearance center in Alabama. The Senator Giroux - it looks like it's not far from Hotlanta. One article went on to mention another store in Texas and one in Washington (D.C.?) but I couldn't find either on the 'net. The article said the other states usually sell the stuff on eBay. Oh, Lord, even the airlines are turning into flippers...
laugh.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was trying to figure out where chicago baggage went and in my searching I found out that the unclaimed baggage place won't say which airlines sell them stuff and the airlines won't say who they sell to (but would confirm that they sell baggage after 90 days or whatever).

Would be nice to find out where it goes in IL...lot of air traffic and connecting flights which should mean a lot of lost bags. I guess I could just figure out which thrift store seems to sell a LOT of suitcases...(but it seems like they prefer to sell it by the pound which suggests it wouldn't be an SA type place)

wcl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Wow - wish I lived closer! This sounds like a great spot.

I live about an hour away and usually go about once a month. The prices are not thrift-like, but considering some of the pieces you can pick up it can really be worth it. Unfortunately they do not restock very often and in any sort of quantity. The last few times I have been the mens selection has been almost identical, save the short sleeve shirts. There is also a shop nearby called Hammers that mostly sells workwear, but also will get in IAG overstocks and seconds. They have a lot of Holland & shery/Oxxford/Tom James ties for about $4 right now. Also quite a few Gitman Shirts. Also lots of pretty cool Orvis pants.

Temujin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wcl
There is also a shop nearby called Hammers that mostly sells workwear, but also will get in IAG overstocks and seconds. They have a lot of Holland & shery/Oxxford/Tom James ties for about $4 right now. Also quite a few Gitman Shirts. Also lots of pretty cool Orvis pants.

That's good to know, as I have 2 Hammers stores on my routes, but I don't usually stop in. I know that they have advertised recently about having Florsheim shoes for $30.

My finds for today: Finally a pair of Aldens for me! I have found them in the past, but none I liked. These are a medium brown cap toe. Also a pair of black AE Sanfords in sz 8 and a pair of Barker England dress boots, haven't researched them yet, but they feel nice. Two pairs of Cable & Co. shoes and a Zegna Soft sport coat. Passed on the Gen. Snake Giorgio Brutini's.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I was trying to figure out where chicago baggage went and in my searching I found out that the unclaimed baggage place won't say which airlines sell them stuff and the airlines won't say who they sell to (but would confirm that they sell baggage after 90 days or whatever).

Would be nice to find out where it goes in IL...lot of air traffic and connecting flights which should mean a lot of lost bags. I guess I could just figure out which thrift store seems to sell a LOT of suitcases...(but it seems like they prefer to sell it by the pound which suggests it wouldn't be an SA type place)

Typically the purchase by the pound places are the privately owned thrift/consignment places.
I have one by me that has netted some amazing finds.
I too would love to know where the O'hare lost bags go.....

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
After a long fairly dry spell, it appears that I've simply been saving up my luck. These cost $10 (shoe trees actually included), and fit me better than any of the shoes I own. They do need a resoling which I'll take care of this weekend though. Insole looks pretty good in person actually, not molded in a foot-shape yet. And man do these things shine nicely, I barely touched them and they looked like this.

20100812igp3554.jpg

20100812igp3560.jpg

20100812igp3555.jpg

I normally don't look hard at the ties at this store, but after finding the EG's I felt I as on a roll. Literally the last tie I looked at was this one. $2

20100812igp3567.jpg

20100812igp3562.jpg

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Typically the purchase by the pound places are the privately owned thrift/consignment places.
I have one by me that has netted some amazing finds.
I too would love to know where the O'hare lost bags go.....

HELL?

Trotsky1940

Reaction score
Goodwill was good, found about 8 ties, all vintage with great patterns. I'm a sucker for the '30s and '40s vintage ties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads