• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Levi's Workwear by Filson - Now @ www.levis.com

Simontuntelder

Reaction score
Will the oil of the tincloth rub off on other garments?

I had a vintage tin cloth jacket, but it was old and not taken care off, so it felt quite dry.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I tried it on it didn't feel that oily but maybe I wasn't paying attention. Are there any methods to remove some of the oil? I would find it bothersome if it stays very oily or transferred onto the skin.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we screwed ourselves with the active2010 code. i had used that 3 times this summer and was looking forward to using it this fall.

chiamdream

Reaction score
Pretty nice jacket. Sizing up one seems about right. I wear a medium in pretty much everything J. Crew; this is a large.
4886181761_a2bb5cac05_z.jpg

sockpuppets

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chiamdream
Pretty nice jacket. Sizing down one seems about right. I wear a medium in pretty much everything J. Crew; this is a large.

I think you mean sizing UP one.

chiamdream

Reaction score
You're right, size up one. The fabric isn't all that heavy, but the wax they treat it with makes it pretty stiff. Not at all breathable.

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Levi's Filson Oilcloth is the new J.Crew red chambray.

sockpuppets

Reaction score
I think I'm just going to pick this up instead. The Levis jacket is great- I love the color and the style, but it's just cut way too slim. I wish I could get an XL to try on but no stores carry it and it's sold out online. The large barely fit me and will obviously not fit me if I have a sweater or something on underneath. It's also overly saturated with oil in my opinion. The "wet look" of it is appealing but the fingerprints I leave behind make it look like I've been working at a cheese mill all day. They really went overboard with it. I suppose you could throw it in a dryer on cool with a towel or something to get it somewhat drier. Anyway my Levis is up on eBay. I paid retail so I need to recover what I can from it. I don't think it's fair to bring it back to the store after wearing it although I bet they'd take it back if I asked.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fycus
Levi's Filson Oilcloth is the new J.Crew red chambray.

I blame robin.

sockpuppets, if you had a problem with the over-oiled finish, why buy another Filson oil-finish tin cloth jacket?

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
When I tried it on it didn't feel that oily but maybe I wasn't paying attention. Are there any methods to remove some of the oil? I would find it bothersome if it stays very oily or transferred onto the skin.

work in it. it is workwear. like it or not, it's designed to be used and abused, not worn to movies.

spudnik99

Reaction score
The Timberline is a nice jacket, don't pass judgement on the fit until you let your body heat soften the fabic, move around in it to get a feel.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow...got the shirt in today and it is HUGE. I ordered a medium and was a little afraid it might be too small as I'm 6' 200lbs. It's not small at all and it fits really big. That being said, the material feels like completely raw denim...thick and stiff. Tag says dry clean only....I wonder what a hot wash/hot dry would do to it. PTP measures about 24" right now. Can't decide if I'll try the hot wash or if I need to return it and maybe try a small if possible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics