• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Path to IT job

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some advice. Graduated high school a few years ago thinking I wanted to direct indie films. Since then I've pretty much just wasted my time dicking around, making a few short films, and taking community college classes. But...I think it's time to grow up. Odds are I'm not gonna be monetarily successful as a director. I'll probably finish my (worthless) associate's degree this fall, but I'm probably gonna put my bachelor's on hold for a few years.

I'm thinking IT seems like a decent career, especially since a bachelor's doesn't seem to be required at the lower levels. I don't have any experience in the field beyond upgrading/troubleshooting my own PC, but I'm relatively smart and I learn fast.

Here's my plan:

1. Get A+
2. Get repair tech or helpdesk job
3. Get CCNA
4. ?????
5. Profit!

Any suggestions? I've heard the A+ isn't worth much, but since I don't have any experience I'm hoping it'll at least get me in the door some place.

Valor

Reaction score
1. Learn C#
2. Profit.

You don't want to be on the service side of IT, it doesn't pay as well and it's definitely not as respectable.

Valor

Reaction score
What exactly do you expect to do in IT then? Most office professionals sit in front of a screen all day, that's how we post on SF.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Wiki'd it. That actually looks really cool. How do I do it.

Go to a college and join their IT program and take business courses with it, or do what I did and go for a Business degree with concentration in MIS (basically IT).

Valor

Reaction score
I'm a business analyst, I have nothing to do with IT although I do know how to code and sometimes I do run data analytics.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Just go back to school, man. You sound like you want to do it sooner or later, anyways, so it might as well be sooner.

Take out a loan, get a part-time job, and enjoy undergraduacy. undergraduateness. undergraduatude.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are set on joining IT, I would highly recommend steering away from programming unless (a) you're interested and (b) you have experience.

It's a saturated market and guys from Asia would run laps around you for half the cost.

I would suggest you getting into the IT Security side of things. To work your way there, you would probably have to start finding gigs related to "access provisioning" which is the area which grants/remove people's access to the network/applications.

However, first line of matter is to get your Bachelor's degree. Don't listen to the fools who say it's worthless. They're not the people you want to emulate.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
If you are set on joining IT, I would highly recommend steering away from programming unless (a) you're interested and (b) you have experience.

It's a saturated market and guys from Asia would run laps around you for half the cost.

I would suggest you getting into the IT Security side of things. To work your way there, you would probably have to start finding gigs related to "access provisioning" which is the area which grants/remove people's access to the network/applications.

However, first line of matter is to get your Bachelor's degree. Don't listen to the fools who say it's worthless. They're not the people you want to emulate.

+1 on everything you said.
programming IS saturated.
security i heard on the latest news there are well over 30,000 jobs unfilled for security positions alone in US , i dont recall. something like that. i was discussing with my company's security IT guy (we van pool together).
i know someone who is working in IRAQ of all places for IT security and is making bank.
get your degree. listen to us. the wise ones.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
I'm sick of classes, and I don't wanna do loans unless I really have to. I've heard too many horror stories.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
ffffuuuu.gif
I'm sick of classes, and I don't wanna do loans unless I really have to. I've heard too many horror stories.

Well, there's always indie film directing to fall back on then.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
foreign legion

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads