• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Squares vs Handkerchiefs

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MS007
This is gold
laugh.gif
. Do you mind if I put this in my sig?

be my guest.

Yes, he probably 1940's slapped her.

Station

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Stick with handkerchiefs.
You have to stop doing that.

Fact is, nice pocket squares are more readily available than nice handkerchiefs. Ergo, I use pocket squares more often.

ajv

Reaction score
I use pocket squares for their purpose, but i always have a white or blue handkerchief to offer to the ladies, if needed.
When I have a cold, a handkerchief is neither practical, as it does not last long enough, nor hygienical; in that case I'll carry some paper tissues in my briefcase.

Adrian

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jerome
I have heard it said, maybe in a book by Hardy Amies, that the idea of PSs is wrong and that only handkerchiefs ought to be put in ones breast pocket, meaning that one also should use them.
Just remember ... Mr. Amies is the same man who predicted that by now we'd all be wearing five button (suit) coats.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Just remember ... Mr. Amies is the same man who predicted that by now we'd all be wearing five button (suit) coats.

Have you looked at Men's Warehouse's offerings lately?

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
never understood the practice of taking out a handkerchief, blowing your snot into it, folding it back up, and putting it back into your pocket.

One does it so you're not blowing it onto the back of your hand and wiping it on the nearest bit of upholstery.

If you do it right, you never touch the snot again and it never touches anything but the inside of the handkerchief. And all of the germs you blow out are ones you already have kicking around in you, so the 'unsanitary' charge is a no go.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
No, I haven't.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff

One does it so you're not blowing it onto the back of your hand and wiping it on the nearest bit of upholstery.

If you do it right, you never touch the snot again and it never touches anything but the inside of the handkerchief. And all of the germs you blow out are ones you already have kicking around in you, so the 'unsanitary' charge is a no go.

Are people really so far away from a bathroom that they need to resort to this? I cannot think of the last time I was wearing a suit and more than 3 minutes from a bathroom.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads