• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
They only do that if they're making an ice wine.

wrong again, they only use solid ice cream for ice wine, for the other wines it's simply melted ice cream. This is why some wines are cloudier than others.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You people are remorseless baby killers.

I am in CA now and have access to most of my old wine (which I basically get to touch only 2-3x per year) and will be enjoying this.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton

I am in CA now and have access to most of my old wine (which I basically get to touch only 2-3x per year) and will be enjoying this.

Hey, gotta live off the babies while I let the rest of my herd grow up. A man has to survive.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

please send some my way. I'll share.

blush.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think on this trip I will have my last 1968 BV Private Reserve. Must think up what to cook for it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
68? Wow, did their style change. Are they good for even 15 years now?

I'm very jealous, btw.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
does it even need food?

Hmmm maybe not but I brought my knives (or the three good ones) so I may as well cook. Mother's kitchen is really super-awesome.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
68? Wow, did their style change. Are they good for even 15 years now?

I'm very jealous, btw.

Yeah. Purists say that '70 was the last truly great vintage (I still have three of those). They definitely went into a funk for a while but the wines are good again, though not the monster agers they used to be.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah. Purists say that '70 was the last truly great vintage (I still have three of those). They definitely went into a funk for a while but the wines are good again, though not the monster agers they used to be.

I've got a mini-vertical going, two bottles each, 01-05. I think they changed methodology or wine makers or both for the 06? Considering drinking an 01 over Labour Day for our anniversary. Already have a magnum of 01 Merry Edwards selected for that and I don't think even you could argue with a nine year old CA Pinot.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'I don't think even you could argue with a nine year old CA Pinot.

Definitely not. Such limited experience with those, however, that I don't have a good sense for how to evaluate their aging curve.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Klopp Ranch. Here's the last three Cellar Tracker tasting notes. As mine's a magnum, and I bought it at ME, I expect it to be drinking quite well.

Tasted by NotNYC on 3/12/2010 & rated 95 points: Absolutely a thing of beauty - delicate, feminine, almost helpless and desiring rescue. Nose draws in with forest floor and spice, teasing, inviting, hot and anxious. Light in color so that your can see your fingers below the seductive juice. Almost gossamer balance, but substance shines as fairies dance on the tongue, delightful nymphs teasing all the senses. Finishes somewhat complex but no work to recognize such considerable attributes. I have loved women like this...only a lifelong indelible memory when gone.
Don't know if this will last much longer. Do not waste on fools. (168 views) - report issue | favorite author
Tasted by jerhardt on 2/19/2009 & rated 91 points: A very pleasant surprise. With some bottle age, this has turned into a very nice wine. Medium-plus bodied and full flavored, but balanced and complex. Good now, but should last for a few more years. (392 views) - report issue | favorite author
Tasted by Ajb on 2/8/2009 & rated 91 points: (268 views)favorite author
Tasted by NotNYC on 4/25/2008 & rated 94 points: Sensational! Fully mature with the texture and flavors that convince me, Merry needs more time than any other CA producer I collect to launch into insane juice - perfect provenance helps. Deep fullness of flavors, beautifully balanced, weighted and deliciously integrated. My idea of The perfect RRV PN. Only neg comment would be just a tad pronounced with the sweet blueberry I try to avoid; but that's a very minor quibble given this gorgeous wine. Should plateau another 2-3 yrs.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
no, #1 is an Asian anime Appreciation movie review. Perhaps it was stuck in your queue?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
no, #1 is an Asian anime Appreciation movie review. Perhaps it was stuck in your queue?

Don't know what this is about, but thought I'd get it captured for posterity.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads