• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

xpress

Reaction score
Its official...

I had the 3Gs, and I got a great offer on the 4, so I decided to take the plunge.

I regret it

Hopefully Apple will take mine back, and I will get this 'new redesign' coming early '11.

corey.m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
WTF did you smoke? How could a hardware problem be caused by the choice of service provider?
facepalm.gif

Users of a provider with poor infrastructure (coverage, capacity etc) are going to experience attenuation issues more so than users of a provider with good infrastructure. Correct me if I am wrong.

I never thought I'd describe any infrastructure in Australia as good...

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by corey.m
Users of a provider with poor infrastructure (coverage, capacity etc) are going to experience attenuation issues more so than users of a provider with good infrastructure. Correct me if I am wrong.

This sounds right. The attenuation happens when you're in an area with "weak" 5-bar coverage. Cover the lower left corner in NY or SF and watch how the bars drop.

Metro, you're in NY right? If so that would explain everything--a lot of the attenuation reports are coming from there.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
People who have used it will know it without it being mentioned.
frown.gif
I have a horrible dislike against it too, but now that I have the iPad I feel like going for the iPhone, already for the sake of reusing the apps I've bought that are for both.

again, thanks for elaborating....
facepalm.gif

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grundletaint
i just ordered one. i hardly ever talk on the phone

Just curious, if you describe your phone usage as "hardly ever", why would you buy such an expensive phone that requires a fairly expensive monthly plan?

My contract with another provider is up in November, and I'm debating whether or not to get this phone. I'm still not convinced that it really offers any practical advantages over a blackberry, other than better internet browsing and music.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Just curious, if you describe your phone usage as "hardly ever", why would you buy such an expensive phone that requires a fairly expensive monthly plan?

Take a wild guess: web usage, texting, apps. No other phone has the number of apps that Apple has.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Take a wild guess: web usage, texting, apps. No other phone has the number of apps that Apple has.

Right, I just find it odd that someone would use these features extensively, but hardly ever talk on the phone.

Also, when I had the old iphone, I found most of the apps to be more of a bonus than an actual deciding feature. I realize the number of apps has grown greatly, but after hearing about the apps that some of my friends use, none of them would persuade me to purchase the phone.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
again, thanks for elaborating....
facepalm.gif

Sry, I thought you meant it as a critic to his review, not that you were actually interested in it. So, I have to make it short cuz I'm in a hurry but I'd say the main problem is, that you have to use iTunes for everything. It is not possible to quickly add a song, movie or anything on the run from another computer. It is therefore also not possible to share your music with anyone. If you want to add music from another iTunes, you will have to format your iPad/iPhone/iPod first to assign it to another iTunes installation. Also, music bought over iTunes can't be used with any other system without a workaround (like burning it on CD and then ripping it again or putting it on your iWhatever and copying down with a tool). Also, you can't just pull music from your file explorer into a playlist, you first have to add the file to your media library and then to your playlist.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually there are 3rd party apps for file transfer / syncing for Apple handhelds.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i just ordered one. i hardly ever talk on the phone and when i do, i don't hold the bottom left part so i guess i'll be ok.
If you don't talk on the phone and just want the apps, why didn't you buy an iPod Touch?

blairh

Reaction score
I got my free bumper yesterday. I can't believe Apple was charging people $30 for this thing before the press conference. Maybe more amazing is that people were willing to pay $30 for it before they became free. It's semi-hard plastic and silicone and should never have been sold for anything more than $15. I'm using the bumper at the gym in conjunction with the elliptical machine. But I go sans cans otherwise. I really hate cases on my cell phones. My 3G iPhone never had a case and survived over a dozen drops in 18 months.

As for the antenna issue. I discussed this in great detail with a fellow SF member recently on this thread so I won't get into it again. However before 4.0.1 was released I always had 5 bars in my house. After the update I've consistently had 3. When I cover the dreaded spot it drops to 1 bar but never hits "no signal". I also never tend to cover the lower part of the phone with my hand. I hold the middle of both sides with my fingers. I reckon many others do too.

As for the phone itself it is a huge upgrade over my 3G. The screen resolution is amazing, apps open and load quicker, podcasts can be downloaded and deleted at a faster rate, etc.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
If you don't talk on the phone and just want the apps, why didn't you buy an iPod Touch?

3G access. I'm in the same boat: my data usage far outweighs my voice usage on the iPhone.

--Andre

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jesus. i do talk on the phone, just not often enough for the dropped call phenomenon to bother me. most of my communication is via text and emails constantly throughout the day with a few calls sprinkled in here and there. plus, face time is gonna be great for my niece and parents.

i've been using a droid but the ****** keeps freezing up and glitching when i need it most. i'd much rather have something that works completely but if it's up to call issues or software fuckups, i'll take the call issues any day. and like i said, i don't hold the problem area of the phone so it doesn't really even matter.

and i do have a touch. can't make calls with it, last i checked.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^I rarely make calls with my iPhone, and I rarely give out my number to others. I've considered returning to Blackberry now that I have an iPad, but I'm not sure I really want to do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads