• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Longwings LWB - Color Comparison?

RPMcMurphy

Reaction score
Greetings,

I've been lurking on this site for a little bit looking at all the great pictures in the Alden thread (I've gotten through about 200pages of it). If my searching skills are horrible, please give me a kick, but does anyone have a picture comparing the colors of the Alden LWB? I understand that wear, lighting, etc....are all going to make the same shoe look different, but, the Shell Cigar seems to look significantly different in every picture I see, so I'm a little confused on what color is what in regards to dark brown, #8, ravello, cigar, etc...

Have tried a few local stores that carry Alden, but none seem to have the style/colors I'm interested in.

Thanks!
-R

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm. Try looking through Leather Soul's site. They tend to get a lot of Aldens in different shell colors. From my understanding, Cigar is browner and tanner than Ravello, which has more red in it. #8 is a dark maroon/plumb color--approaching black when new.

Yet, you are right that even the same color of shell will look very different depending on the specific hide, shoe, and lighting conditions. You have to keep your color expectations relatively loose when it comes to cordovan.

RPMcMurphy

Reaction score
Thx. I'm looking to pair these with both dark jeans and khaki's, so thinking Cigar would be my most versatile, and will age the best as these will be worn quite frequently...

-R

RPMcMurphy

Reaction score
p.s. I see your in NYC, who would have the best selection/stock? I plan on Bridge/Tunneling in, perhaps tonight...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think any of the non-black shell colors pairs easily with jeans or khakis, though I have I personally prefer both #8 and Ravello over Cigar. I'm not sure who has the best selection in the city, but the Alden shop on Madison is a good bet. They usually have each shell color represented in at least one pair of shoes.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^A month or so ago the Alden shop on Madison had all the colors and most of the styles but they didn't have a full range of sizes. Nonetheless, this is where I'd think you'd want to start your search.

RPMcMurphy

Reaction score
Thx much, now to find a ressy close to pacify my wife!

jesask

Reaction score
Right now I have both cigar and #8. I like ravello but missed out on a pair when they came out at a store near my home. The cigar gets alot of wear, both with jeans and for the office. I would describe it as a nice brown.

I have never seen whisky in person but from the pictures I have seen, it seems a bit light for me and not as versatile.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the pebble grain for this particular style.

_MG_3957.jpg

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not all longwings, but whiskey, ravello, cognac(?) calf, cigar, C&J Polo brown.
image006wd.jpg

Whiskey and snuff suede.
image008ng.jpg

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that's a collection. Those Darltons sure do stand out but I think your Alden's need to age more before you can compare the finishes. Something about watching my shoes age/patina over time as I wear them is preferable to something pre-finished like the Darltons. To each his own though.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When that first pic was taken, the Polos were almost two years old and had many wearings.
I don't think the whiskey and ravellos boots had more than a couple wearings at the time.
In the other picture, the whiskey longwings hadn't been worn yet.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
Not all longwings, but whiskey, ravello, cognac(?) calf, cigar, C&J Polo brown.
Whiskey and snuff suede.

Another very nice collection. I like every single one of them.
inlove.gif

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snuff suede longwings are looking great,really dig them. So are the cigar shell LWs
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads