• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i think all exams are 60% except for the intro one. correct me if i'm wrong

60% seems really low (I'm not saying that you're wrong). I mean, even as a casual wine fan I feel like I could be reasonably close to 60%, i don't see why they wouldn't raise the bar to something like 80% and really push some of the important details.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
60% for the Intro.

Candidates who successfully complete the Introductory Sommelier Exam with a minimum 60% passing score on the written examination:
•Have received intensive instruction over two days from a team of Master Sommeliers.
•Have received an overview of all the major wine growing regions of the world, as well as instruction in spirits, beer, sakÃ
00a9.png
and proper wine service.
•Have passed a written examination based on the material covered throughout the 2-day course.
•Are capable of discussing, buying and serving a comprehensive range of alcoholic beverages with confidence and skill.
•Have learned the Deductive Tasting method of blind tasting from some of the best wine tasters in the world--a tasting method that is an integral part of the Certified Sommelier Exam, the Advanced Course and the Master Sommelier Diploma. The acquired tasting skills will enable them to confidently recognize both wine quality and flaws.
•Have received adequate direction to successfully study and prepare for the Certified Sommelier Exam, the prerequisite for the Advanced Course and Master Sommelier Exam itself.
Ditto the Certified.

Written feedback will be provided to all candidates at the conclusion of the exam. Candidates who have successfully passed all three segments with a minimum 60% score will receive a certificate and a pin confirming they have been certified by the American Chapter of the Court of Master Sommeliers.

The Certified Sommelier Examination
•Sets a high minimum standard of the knowledge and service of wine for professionals in the Hospitality Industry.
•Provides students with a credential to show potential employers their skills have been evaluated at a high level of proficiency by the world’s leading authority on service – The Court of Master Sommeliers.
•Provides the Director of Education and the Examination Committee of the American Chapter of the Court of Master Sommeliers with information on the skill level and degree of preparation of candidates wishing to attempt the Advanced Sommelier Examination.
I have been talking to a Certified Somm (you'll meet him in the spring, Gome) and he says the service can be tricky. They'll pick a service for you to perform and while you're doing that, they'll be asking you questions. He said to have a set of pairings in your head, and an alternate set. So to use a simple example, if they examiner is saying he'll be having steak, what do you suggest, have two wines to offer and reasons why.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
this is helpful.

i'd be worried about the blind tasting - an over extracted Loire would throw me off. Or a non-Tuscan, Piedmont, or Abruzzo Italian red.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
this is helpful.

i'd be worried about the blind tasting - an over extracted Loire would throw me off. Or a non-Tuscan, Piedmont, or Abruzzo Italian red.

I think it's the process more than the conclusion. There's a pdf of the tasting sheet somewhere on one of the sights, find it and you'll see what I mean.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
big time win right there, the Oenotheque is special stuff. I need moar friends like your friends.
Unfortunately (or fortunately,) it wasn't the sort of evening where one would concentrate on the wine. It was certainly excellent, but I hope to appreciate it more when we have the last bottle to ourselves.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Unfortunately (or fortunately,) it wasn't the sort of evening where one would concentrate on the wine. It was certainly excellent, but I hope to appreciate it more when we have the last bottle to ourselves.

please let me know how it is, I've never had the opportunity to try the Oeno.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Hai guiz, I have two of these. Do you think it's too soon to try one? 2007 Domaine du Vieux TÃ
00a9.png
00a9.png
graphe Châteauneuf-du-Pape La Crau.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ricardo Malocchio
Oh do I wish there was a similar, ongoing "Wine List Hall of Shame" for Boston.

lol @ Nello. I'm not sure how they stay open after that review from the Times.

Oh yeah, they can bank on $26 glasses of Santa Margherita PG.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Reading this article...does anyone else scan the wine list for a few wines you have in your cellar, so you can accurately gauge their mark ups? I mean, if I see a Kosta Browne for $140, I'm going to think their pricing is good and will order what I feel like with confidence. If I see a Siduri for $200, I'm going to order something drinkable but not memorable.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Reading this article...does anyone else scan the wine list for a few wines you have in your cellar, so you can accurately gauge their mark ups? I mean, if I see a Kosta Browne for $140, I'm going to think their pricing is good and will order what I feel like with confidence. If I see a Siduri for $200, I'm going to order something drinkable but not memorable.

no, not usually. Many restaurants will gladly mark up the big names like Opus or Moet. It's what people recognize as being good and safe so they'll spend it anyways. I don't think it would be necessarily fair to assume that since a restaurant marks up a hard to get wine like KB they'll automatically be far overpriced for everything else on the list. And great lists will have a good supply of small production Burgs or Barolos where it would be too hard to gauge a markup anyways (especially if the wine has substantial age on it), but supply is so low that it's worth exploring.

that said, I don't eat at places that think they can get away with charging $750 for a $130 bottle of MV Krug.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
no, not usually. Many restaurants will gladly mark up the big names like Opus or Moet. It's what people recognize as being good and safe so they'll spend it anyways. I don't think it would be necessarily fair to assume that since a restaurant marks up a hard to get wine like KB they'll automatically be far overpriced for everything else on the list. And great lists will have a good supply of small production Burgs or Barolos where it would be too hard to gauge a markup anyways (especially if the wine has substantial age on it), but supply is so low that it's worth exploring.

that said, I don't eat at places that think they can get away with charging $750 for a $130 bottle of MV Krug.

I'm not sure if we're on the same page. Do you think $140 is a big mark up for KB? It's only about 80%. I picked that well known name to demonstrate they're not gouging. In fact, my favorite place currently has KB for $140
smile.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm not sure if we're on the same page. Do you think $140 is a big mark up for KB? It's only about 80%.

that post likely made no sense, I'm on a conference call. And i'm tired. The mind wanders.

I don't think that is a big mark up for KB.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads