• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Tailor.com review - my experience

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by surfnbank
I took my dad to a mytailor fitting for fathers day and had a couple of shirts made and they came back with a pretty good fit needing only a slight alteration or two. He does admit though he enjoys his lands end custom shirt more though oddly enough

MyTailor isn't what this thread is about...

johnteachl

Reaction score
As for measuring a great fitting shirt, I had the same problem all my shirts fit me terribly. Here is what I did, I had a shirt that fit well in the shoulders so I used that for shoulder measurements then I took another shirt which was quite large (I have a slender build) then I pined the shirt where I thought it would be a good fit. Then tried the shirt on with the pins...first go around far too small so I adjusted the pins a few times then took the measurements using the pins as the edge of my new shirt. This technique was given to me by another member, the results...by far the best fitting shirt I own; definitely satisfied with the first round I will post pictures soon for a critique.

As an FYI by all means I am no expert, if this technique seems difficult I did not explain it properly, I'm a noob and this was very easy and the results were awesome.

brittain

Reaction score
Originally Posted by surfnbank
I took my dad to a mytailor fitting for fathers day and had a couple of shirts made and they came back with a pretty good fit needing only a slight alteration or two. He does admit though he enjoys his lands end custom shirt more though oddly enough

Ive only had one shirt made by mytailor, but was surprised to see that the jantzen and modern tailor shirts I had made with my own trial and error system came out better than the mytailor shirt measured by their tailor/salesman.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brittain
Ive only had one shirt made by mytailor, but was surprised to see that the jantzen and modern tailor shirts I had made with my own trial and error system came out better than the mytailor shirt measured by their tailor/salesman.

I had similar experience with a local merchant that sold me 3 MTM shirts.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
I had similar experience with a local merchant that sold me 3 MTM shirts.

Ditto regarding MyTailor. Fabric was $100 and worse than my $40 shirts from MT as well.

vilinx

Reaction score
Just got my first shirt from Modern Tailor - first non-special tailored shirt that fits me well. I do have one issue: when I raise my arms, a divot appears above my arm and before the shoulder seam. Do I need to shrink the armhole or shrink the shoulder measurement? (Shoulder seam is right where my arm begins to slope down, should it be closer in?)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
(I also plan on shortening the arms a little)

1.jpg

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vilinx
Just got my first shirt from Modern Tailor - first non-special tailored shirt that fits me well. I do have one issue: when I raise my arms, a divot appears above my arm and before the shoulder seam. Do I need to shrink the armhole or shrink the shoulder measurement? (Shoulder seam is right where my arm begins to slope down, should it be closer in?)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
(I also plan on shortening the arms a little)

Shortening the arms a little? I think you should go with a lot, at least an entire cuff's worth. Your shoulder should be a lot smaller as well. I can't tell by the picture but you probably need to take off some of the waist billowing as well. Further, what style collar are you going for? The thing is spread really far to be w/out a tie, kinda Saturday Night Feverish

imwithtuxedo

Reaction score
Chest looks good, maybe a .5" off though.
2" off the waist.
At least 1" or more from each shoulder.
Bicep width could be decreased as well.
Those sleeves are horrible. Pin the sleeve back where the cuff falls right against but not over your thumb joint. Then measure that length from the shoulder but remember to adjust for what you take off of your shoulder width measurement.

Is that the large cut-away collar? If so, then it is really to large for your build, neck, and face. Try the medium cut away next order.

lim's

Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased the fabric book (sample swatches) for $25? How is it? Supposedly, three $10 coupons are included with the purchase.

lim's

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture of their two-button collar? thanks

REguy

Reaction score
Looking for a little advice. My first shirt turned out fairly well with one major exception. If I cross my arms in front of me as if I was giving someone a bear-hug, the fabric across the back of my shoulders becomes so tight I fear I might split the back. I used the measurements from my favorite shirt, which they matched. Also, I did not go with any type of back pleats. What measurement do you think I should increase in the future to alleviate this tightness...chest?

david123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lim's
Has anyone ever purchased the fabric book (sample swatches) for $25? How is it? Supposedly, three $10 coupons are included with the purchase.

I got the book last week. It is reasonably useful -- helped me decide on a few fabrics -- but is certainly not exhaustive.

The coupons are not stackable with the more generous coupon offered on SF ($20 off) are are thus useless. If you want to buy mine off me, PM me.

skyduster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imwithtuxedo

Is that the large cut-away collar? If so, then it is really to large for your build, neck, and face. Try the medium cut away next order.

Hmmm...I really like the collar on his shirt. I'm not a fashion guru, but I think it looks great.
smile.gif

I'm curious myself if it's a large cutaway. I just received a shirt from Modern Tailor (fits great!), and I had it designed with a large cutaway collar. Looks GREAT with a tie (which is how I intend to wear this shirt), but I'm not too crazy with how it looks without a tie. I'd be interested to know what kind of collar that is on villinx's shirt so that I can duplicate it for a shirt I'd wear w/out a tie.

skyduster

Reaction score
Here's the shirt that I got from Modern Tailor, and I'm very happy with it. The collar is a Large One-Button Cutaway. The fabric is a blue royal oxford. Reason I'm posting these pictures is because I hope someone considering Modern Tailor will find them useful. I'm new to buying tailored shirts, so some of the terminology I wasn't familiar with. So, I tried to do research before I spent $50-100, and I wanted to find pictures from other guys that have bought from MT (not just pictures of folded shirts, as they show you on MT's website). But unfortunately, few guys that have bought from MT have bothered to post pictures. As you're ordering a shirt on MT's website, when you get to the part when it asks you what kind of collar you want, it's quite obvious that the images are not accurate representations of what the collars really look like. And the names of the collars aren't really helpful, because I learned that "cutaway" and "wide spread" can mean different things from different shirt-makers. So, the first shirt I ordered was a "wide spread", thinking that I would get a collar like the one in my pictures. And I was wrong. The "wide spread" is one of those super-wide spread, where the collar point is way back. Of course, part of it was my own stupidity. If you go to their website's "shirt showcase" there's pictures of shirts other customers had ordered. But, to my defense, how the shirt looks when it's folded, versus someone actually wearing it, are two different things. And when you click on a shirt that you like, to read its specifics, it doesn't say whether it's a small cutaway, medium cutaway, or large cutaway. It just says "cutaway". And sometimes it's hard to differentiate between large and medium. So, I gave it a second try. I looked at lots and lots of shirts on MT's "shirt showcase" and decided to order a large cutaway. I just received it, I tried it on, and it was perfect. I am very happy with this shirt, and the Large Cutaway collar is exactly what I wanted. The measurements I used are from an old shirt from Express Men that fits me perfectly, except for the fact that my neck is thicker now than it was then. So I measured the Express shirt with exactness, except that my neck size is now 17, so I entered "17" for neck size. And the fit is perfect. The quality of the shirt is top notch. Everything from the seams to the fabric is perfect. I ordered a good-quality two ply fabric that was on sale...it feels like good quality fabric and it breathes (which is good because I sweat very easily). I ordered the Thick MOP buttons, because I don't like cheap-looking buttons. I was willing to pay an extra $5 for them. Even the quality of the collar is far better than the off-the-rack Hilfiger and Hugo Boss shirts that I bought a few months ago. I ordered the stiffness of the collar (or "collar lining") to be "common" (as opposed to "soft" or "stiff"), which I expected to be the same as my off-the-rack shirts. It actually turned out to be much stiffer than the collars on my off-rack shirts, and that's fine because I really like that. It's perfect, and if I had ordered the "stiff" I probably wouldn't be able to wear a tie. This is also good news for when you want to wear the collar unbuttoned/without a tie. The collar stays nice and stiff. So, it's very, very good quality. I'm very happy with my second purchase from MT. And BTW, I'm donating those off-the-rack shirts from Tommy Hilfiger and Hugo Boss. They're waaay too big in the mid-section, even the "slim fit" Hilfiger shirt is way too big.

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ How much did that shirt cost you? I'm thinking of going the MTM route.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads