• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I protect these shoes?

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
I have been spending increasingly more on nicer shoes, but walking around a lot in New York City is anything but flattering to leather soles. I have never used any sort of sole protection before (topy, toe/heel taps, etc), but am considering them now. This is a new pair of lace-ups I just got:

dsc00057gi.jpg

And this a casual (but still expensive) pair I got only a month ago after a few nights of roaming the streets. Sorry for the Appreciation.

dsc00060en.jpg

dsc00062wf.jpg

As you can see, both the toe and the heel are getting destroyed pretty quickly, and I haven't even been out in rainy weather yet. There's probably something wrong with the way I walk
confused.gif
. What solutions would you consider?

Jay Gatsby

Reaction score
I have the same problem. Get toppys put on before you destroy the thread at the toe. The rubbers last a long time in my experience and are entirely worth it.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYCniceguy
There's probably something wrong with the way I walk
confused.gif
. What solutions would you consider?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
+1 Topies are nerdy as hell. Just get toe and heel taps. I walk around NYC in nothing except dress shoes and the toe, heel taps work wonders.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
+1 Topies are nerdy as hell. Just get toe and heel taps. I walk around NYC in nothing except dress shoes and the toe, heel taps work wonders.

Topies are vile and they don't the leather sole to breathe...

Go for toe and heel taps.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Topies are vile and they don't the leather sole to breathe...

I see this comment everywhere and it is STUPID. Please stop perpetrating this myth. Leather soles don't "breathe". Topy is a good solution if you don't mind putting rubber on your dress shoes. They certainly help prolong the life of the shoe. If you watch carefully and replace them as they wear out, you don't have to resole your shoes for a long, long time.

Metal toe taps is a great solution too. B Nelson does a great job. Go talk to Nick and ask to see a pair they've done.

Heel taps affect your gait. Do not get them. If you are worried about wearing out your heels, replace your leather heels with all rubber heels.

LanceW

Reaction score
I had topys put on but after nearly a year, I removed them due to discomfort. My 2 pair with topys were not flexing as comfortably as those without and were creating a pinch on top of my toes.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had Topy on every single pair of shoes or boots I have had for years and years. It stops wear and provides a non slip surface.

I'm not sure what others are referring to as topy. The topy I use is a brand name, it is applied by a cobbler who prepares the sole and glues the Topy. It does not cover the whole bottom of the shoe. It is beveled off at the edges and set into the sole. It is thin - not paper thin but pretty bloody thin. Unless one looks at the sole you can't tell it has Topy. Most people can't tell even if they look at the sole.

I am yet to have any shoes suffocate due to non breathing through the sole.

My experience is that metal caps can wear quickly on abrasive surfaces like concrete.

NYCniceguy

Reaction score
How much will Nelson charge for toe taps and for Topys? Is it too late to apply either Topys or toe taps to my Ferragamos (pictured above)?

hst

Reaction score
My take is it is not too late to apply either topy or toe tap.
I have all my shoes topied.

The Shoe Snob

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am more of a traditionalist and hate adding rubber or anything to my soles, it changes the way they feel and they way you walk. When a shoe is made there are certain heel to ball-of-foot height measurements that need to be exact for the shoe to be balanced and adding something to the bottom changes that! Get more shoes and rotate them and try to be careful. If you don't find that realistic then buy shoes that come with rubber soles or have a cobbler put on a toe tap that is flush with the sole. Although, this is hard to find in America, example below

bapelolol

Reaction score
does it matter if you get a full sole topy isntead of leaving the waist uncovered?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads