• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aaargh! though i'd pulled off the score of my career: won a loro piana horsey coat in my size in mint condition for under $200 on ebay. then it arrived and it was a woman's coat that had been misidentified! seller was great ... she's refunding everything including my return shipping ... but still, dreams dashed and all of that.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CasmirRadon
Although I can't absolutely confirm, it looks authentic from what I know from this website: http://ggyy5978.com/index.php

Looks very nice too, great find.

Ahh thanks so much. While I've only handled a few Hermes ties in person I questioned the authenticity because of the white tag which I had never seen before.

Reaction score
This weekend looks like the weekend of accessories for me. I found a few pretty decent sweaters, but the real nice finds were some pretty wonderful J. Crew ribbon belts, as well as some J. Crew repp tie belts.

It was also a good time to be looking for shoe accessories, as I found 5 cedar shoe trees and a cedar shoe shine box. Unfortunately, looks like one of the shoe trees is too big for any of my shoes, so I'll have to find someone to pass them along to. Anyone know how to find the size of the trees, other than just...putting them in shoes?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
aaargh! though i'd pulled off the score of my career: won a loro piana horsey coat in my size in mint condition for under $200 on ebay. then it arrived and it was a woman's coat that had been misidentified! seller was great ... she's refunding everything including my return shipping ... but still, dreams dashed and all of that.

Just the buttons on the wrong side, or was it cut differently?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Just the buttons on the wrong side, or was it cut differently?
yeah, buttons and cut. i tried it on and thought "this feels weird" then i looked in the mirror and thought what the hell? very blousy in the chest, but very narrow in the shoulders. then i noticed the buttons were on the wrong side.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaah - I ask because I thrifted a Loro Piana Horsey jacket awhile back and while it had the buttons on the wrong side yet the cut was distinctly men's. I listed it under men's but said it was Unisex. It was from 1993 (had the Olympics label inside). Buyer was happy in the end. Maybe the newer ones are cut differently?

Temujin

Reaction score
Over the weekend I found 3 BB Makers suits and an older Burberrys Prorsum. One BB is my size. Also 3 pr of vint Allen Edmonds. Today I found 2 Oxxford sports coats in my size. And 2 Versace ties. and an Ike shirt.

http://img153.imageshack.us/g/shoes1095.jpg/

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I found an almost new pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues in size 11, as well as a button down Valentino shirt. I dont know anything about this brand but the fit was good in the neck and shoulders but too large in the waist so I pulled out the old sewing machine and slimmed it up and now it looks great.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just scored a SUPPPPPPEEERRRRRBBBBB Borrelli 7 fold, yes I said 7 fold, and yes, I said Borrelli tie for a whopping 3$.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Since some people throw their ebay finds in here... I will as well (I haven't bought much from a thrift recently except a Scattergories game and a napkin holder...)

I picked up a sweet mid century end/coffee table with hairpin legs and mahogony solid pieces/plywood veneers (no mdf here!)...it is marked with a columbia records sticker reminding you to fully tighten the bolts...odd since I don't think they ever made furniture...

Also just won a set of park avenues with my first ever "make an offer"...made a $130 offer on a brand new pair listed at 200. They seem to have had minor damage on the tongue (that should not be visible when they are laced up) so while a better deal may have been possible...I kind of wanted them now.

wfwalsh

Reaction score
I'm pretty pleased with this find, $19.88 at the Goodwill on Columbia Pike in Arlington, Va. The fit seems uncanny -- I honestly can't think of a measurement that I'd change -- but I'm open to any advice before I start using this as a template for sending measurements to Thick as Thieves or something. (Maybe the sleeves are a teensy bit long, but the lack of shirt-cuff exposure is mainly a flaw in the shirt, whose too-long cuffs I folded over.)

I'm also curious to learn how old the suit might be. The (precariously attached) label looks rather '40s or '50s, for what it's worth, but I'm finding no hits for that name online. And I'm assuming it's wool, but absent a fabric-content label I'm not sure how to be sure.

More miscellany: The jacket is unvented (unfortunately -- a double vent would have been nice), and the pants have the world's longest zipper.

suit2.jpg

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wfwalsh
I'm pretty pleased with this find, $19.88 at the Goodwill on Columbia Pike in Arlington, Va. The fit seems uncanny -- I honestly can't think of a measurement that I'd change -- but I'm open to any advice before I start using this as a template for sending measurements to Thick as Thieves or something. (Maybe the sleeves are a teensy bit long, but the lack of shirt-cuff exposure is mainly a flaw in the shirt, whose too-long cuffs I folded over.)

I'm also curious to learn how old the suit might be. The (precariously attached) label looks rather '40s or '50s, for what it's worth, but I'm finding no hits for that name online. And I'm assuming it's wool, but absent a fabric-content label I'm not sure how to be sure.

More miscellany: The jacket is unvented (unfortunately -- a double vent would have been nice), and the pants have the world's longest zipper.

suit2.jpg

looks great

sailorjerry1965

Reaction score
For good looking and affordable buys, Costco carries Michael Cors and Calvin Klein. Craigslist and Ebay are my favorites, though. Late last year, I hit the big sale at Macy's and waked out with six dress shirts (Geoffrey Beene and Calvin Klein) and three ties for $108. I can't touch a new Armani for that.

I bought, on Ebay, a Christian Dior raincoat for $50, just like Lenny Briscoe wore. Tha was three days ago. I also recently bought from a local consignment store an Armani suit for $157. After a visit to the tailor, I'm into it for under $300. And the guy delivered it to me at work, too.

I guess I used to feel weird abut buying used clothes but since I want to look good and don't have a ton of money to spend, it's really the only way to go. And once the articles go through the tailor and the cleaner, they're yours and your alone.

Reaction score
I know that people in the thread don't like to divulge their hot spots, but I was wondering if anyone has been to the Unclaimed Baggage Center in AL. (http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/) It seems like a pretty neat idea, but I'm getting mixed reviews online. It would be a pretty decent drive for me, so if anyone has had any experiences there, it would be very awesome to hear about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics