• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The study guides on the Sommelier Guild's website are fascinating.

Just took the novice level test of Alsace, the Jura and Savoie. 90%
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
wink.gif

You'll be jealous when I have that nifty lapel pin, showing the world, I am a certified sommelier!

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Bray is lovely and very close to my hometown. My aunt lives down the street from The Waterside Inn, another fabulous place, making tiny Bray the cuisine 'capital' of the world!
Roit...
2061537780043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I know that the mock turtle soup is a silly gimmick but I love the way it looks anyway.

Damn, that looks like it was fun.

I am going to Manresa in Los Gatos next week, which will be very good, but not quite that epictacular.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I know that the mock turtle soup is a silly gimmick but I love the way it looks anyway.

Damn, that looks like it was fun.

it tasted wonderful, too. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it was a tiny dish - that egg was no wider than a nickel.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
You look 1/3 taller than the door.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
The study guides on the Sommelier Guild's website are fascinating.

Just took the novice level test of Alsace, the Jura and Savoie. 90%
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Can you link the study guides? Looked earlier and couldnt find anything.

<3 John

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
You look 1/3 taller than the door.

again, that is just an illusion from the nitro. It's a little showy, but a great experience none the less.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
The River Cafe

This restaurant came recommended by a good number of people i know in NY (and one person who seemed very excited about it here on SF). So I figured I'd give it a go. This place is famous for being owned by Richard Rogers' wife (RR is a very famous architect). Accordingly, he did the magnificent interior. I couldn't get a photo without looking more awkward that I naturally am, but the kitchen is pretty much all exposed. And it's not a normal kitchen either, rather it shapes around the dining area like an L. I've never seen anything quite like it and it seems perfectly suitable for the restaurant:

2513104410043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

The wine was a very good Gavi from La Giustiniana. The brightness, acidity, and richness would be an ideal compliment to all of the dishes from the pasta, to the beef, to the pigeon.

The menu changes twice daily and (of course) adjust for seasons.

We started off with Carpaccio di Manzo - finely sliced beef fillet crusted with thyme & black pepper with summer beetroots, ridged tomatoes, parsley & grated horseradish. This was absolutely sensational and it totally wiped the smug "i'll eat a carpaccio if i have to" look from my brother's face. This dish is a testament to how a few simple but perfect ingredients can make something brilliant.

Next was Linguine con Granchio - with fresh Devon crab, chilli, fennel, parsley & lemon. Another winner, but it was also little simple for a lack of a better word. It was very enjoyable, but I couldn't stop thinking about that first dish.

God damn that carpaccio, we ordered another one. And cleaned the plate again.

For the entree I got Piccione al forno - whole Anjou pigeon stuffed with summer savoury wood-roasted in le Fonti Chianti Classico with potatoes & zucchini 'al forno'. Wonderful and savory:
2499538690043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

My brother got Coscia d'Agnello ai ferri - chargrilled marinated leg of lamb with salsa rossa cruda, roasted Violetta aubergines & fresh cannellini bean. Awesome.

Desert was a perfect pannacotta drenched in Grappa:
2158617060043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

And plum gelati:
2877943170043813381S500x500Q85.jpg

All in all, the River Cafe was certainly my favorite London restaurant and I'd recommend it to anybody. And I will be sure to return on my next trip.

after that it was back to the hotel to relax a bit, figure out details for the next day, and to drink this basic Gru Vee:
2785913970043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, i'm not above cheap self-promotion, but honest, i think this is an interesting story by one of my writers.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gomey, interesting combination ... fat duck and river cafe. kind of the polar opposite french laundry/chez panisse thing. personally, every picture from river cafe made me hungry; the fat duck looked fascinating.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i use wine-searcher all the time, it's a great resource.

(ps - when will that Didier article be published?)

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
gomey, interesting combination ... fat duck and river cafe. kind of the polar opposite french laundry/chez panisse thing. personally, every picture from river cafe made me hungry; the fat duck looked fascinating.

polar opposites for sure, but I would be thrilled to eat at any of them at any time again (and very likely will). I suppose one would call the Fat Duck the superior restaurant, but I wouldn't agree at all. they're two restaurants with two completely different goals and styles, and each executes it all marvelously.

The River Cafe is certainly much more accessible reservations wise, location wine, and financially. When I'm starving, I start to think about that carpaccio. The Fat Duck was a rare and splendid treat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You'll be jealous when I have that nifty lapel pin, showing the world, I am a certified sommelier!

You better pass the first two tests then brutha.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads