• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can I wear my Tom Ford suit to work?

Kain1942

Reaction score
If you choise to buy a TOM FORD suit, you should also have the personality to wear it everywhere.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you do good work and have a "let's get this sht done" attitude... just make it a non-issue in your mind. Wear wahtever you want, pretend like it's no big thing and make sure you focue on doing a good job and letting everyone know how serious you are about that.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kain1942
If you choise to buy a TOM FORD suit, you should also have the personality to wear it everywhere.
What kind of logic is this? I bought a pair of green cords, does that mean I need to be capable of wearing them to a funeral? All things considered if you are really good at your job and considered an asset to the company, you can wear whatever the hell you want. If they need you more a lot than you need them, you could switch into a tux after 6 and no one would say a peep about it.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Personal choice in my own work environment mostly since I'm pretty conservative and the peak lapel to me seems to invoke a hint of flash that should be reserved for more public occasions like meeting clients outside or events.

For guys who's work involves clients regularly, I think that's totally fine to weak peak lapels. It's just not what I personally do frequently.

A peak lapel is far from flashy. Infact if you look back at the history of it, it dates back to what many would probably call conservative clothiers (ie Savile Row to even RL in modern era of fashion)

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people aren't going to notice. In fact, a lot of TF suits look like they're old/vintage --- wide lapels, 70s patterns, etc.

They'll probably think you inherited them from a grandfather who hardly wore suits.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you seek employment in an area where this suit might not cause
controversy, viz: a Men's Pedicure Salon.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it's fine since you bought it at Bergdorf.

now, if you bought it at Century 21, the pinked and cut tags are decidedly too flashy for a conservative work environment.

chestercopperpot

Reaction score
Wow, power to you! If I could afford a Tom Ford suit, I would most certainly wear it to work. Just go easy on some of his lame ass ties.

PoloPlayr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers
I just bought a new Tom Ford suit from Bergdorf Goodman and I am wondering if I can pull it off at work.

I work for a private equity firm in Boston, which is a decently conservative atmosphere, albeit one in which folks tolerate a little flair (but not too much...).

The suit is a plain navy blue, but obviously very modern cut with somewhat wide peak lapels and a high pocket that actually slopes up (a Tom Ford signature, but also the thing that makes it the most potentially inappropriate for work...).

I would obviously tone down the accouterments at work, shirt, tie, etc., but I am still on the bubble - any thoughts?

NO.

I'm no expert on TF or anything "fashion" but unless you're the founder/owner of the firm, I would refraing from wearing a "casual" suit which I can only assume a Tom Ford suit is. It's for parties. Not for business.

SouthPhillyMan

Reaction score
What are they going to discharge you because your suit has peak lapels? Get real.
Wear the damn suit. Besides it's not like you will be wearing it every day. If you have meetings with clients or something then you can be conservative on those days. Otherwise rock out with you ____ out. (as long as it doesn't get you fired)

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Personal choice in my own work environment mostly since I'm pretty conservative and the peak lapel to me seems to invoke a hint of flash that should be reserved for more public occasions like meeting clients outside or events.

For guys who's work involves clients regularly, I think that's totally fine to weak peak lapels. It's just not what I personally do frequently.

I think it is easy to overestimate the general public's appreciation of the details on a suit. Most people out there aren't even aware that there are different types of lapels. Before I started lurking on SF, I was one of them.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, If you're built like Kunk....No one will say anything to you about your suit.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackbowtie
I think it is easy to overestimate the general public's appreciation of the details on a suit. Most people out there aren't even aware that there are different types of lapels. Before I started lurking on SF, I was one of them.

Yea, you're probably right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads