• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking for some direction for the fall. I have an idea of things I want to do (no more polos; more pants over denim; sweaters; multi textured shoes + sneakers), but I'm looking for some ideas on where to start. In particular, I'm looking for the following pieces:

- grey trench w/belt
- light material plaid shirts (no flannel)
- flat front slim cut cotton pants
- "casual" oxfords (low heel/thin sole, almost sneaker like appearance. multiple textures such as suede + faux croc would be a plus)
- drapey sweaters

I've checked out some of the sponsors here and found a lot of stuff, which I'm very happy about. But whatever suggestions you guys have for the pieces I've listed would be appreciated.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piroshky
. Lane, probably wanna stay away from stuff like that. To be fair, if you're going for well dressed urban gentleman, and you're going to match the formal-ness of that hat with the rest of your attire, by all means, but you could run into some dodgy sartorial territory.
Yah, im not trying to buy hats anymore. I realized my wardrobe and style doesn't go with any unless its beanies lol. I do own two brixton hats that go well with some of my attire though.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cool The Kid
- light material plaid shirts (no flannel)
- flat front slim cut cotton pants
- "casual" oxfords (low heel/thin sole, almost sneaker like appearance. multiple textures such as suede + faux croc would be a plus)
- drapey sweaters

In order:
-Pretty much anywhere, look by price range
-Pretty much anywhere, Dockers did some khakis for UO that looked surprisingly nice. Also consider wool pants; they're suited for a slim physique because wool hangs and drapes, whereas cotton tends to stick out from the body at an angle.
-Paul Smith, if you have the money. He does great casual oxfords.
-I'd recommend that you stay away from these; your physique is really more suited to a slim, sporty sweater (you could even tuck in the sweater). Drapey sweaters look great on really thin people because the whole point is how they hang off the body; people who are actually in good shape might do better with the offerings at, for instance, Uniqlo.

bck

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for monks/loafers that I can wear with my straight leg nudies/Rock and Republic jeans (I know R&R's are overpriced, but I really liked the particular design). I tried using the search function, but I really couldn't find something that fit the bill of what I want. I want an elegant, sleek brown (chestnut or walnut) colored loafers or monks that I can wear with jeans and a T (sometimes untucked button-downs). I mostly won't be wearing a belt. Kind of like this look, except maybe even dressier in the shoe department:

3.jpg

I'll be wearing these almost every day so they'll need to be durable and comfortable. I do realize that if I wear the same shoes over and over again without giving it a rest, they'll wear out. I'm looking to spend anywhere between $200-450. I'd be happy if I can get 3-4 years of use out of it. I was looking at some AE's (for their welted construction, which means I can replace the sole), but they do tend to look a bit clunky. I think the Boston would look good with jeans (please don't throw dung at me if you disagree haha), but they don't sell it in chestnut or walnut. BTW, I'm a second year undergrad. I would really appreciate recommendations. Thank you!!!

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
In order: -Pretty much anywhere, look by price range -Pretty much anywhere, Dockers did some khakis for UO that looked surprisingly nice. Also consider wool pants; they're suited for a slim physique because wool hangs and drapes, whereas cotton tends to stick out from the body at an angle. -Paul Smith, if you have the money. He does great casual oxfords. -I'd recommend that you stay away from these; your physique is really more suited to a slim, sporty sweater (you could even tuck in the sweater). Drapey sweaters look great on really thin people because the whole point is how they hang off the body; people who are actually in good shape might do better with the offerings at, for instance, Uniqlo.
Thanks for the insight on the sweaters. Drapey sweaters are so much cooler though. I am really trying to avoid the shrink wrapped look. I will definitely mob through Uniqlo when the time is right. Any ideas on where to get a gray mid length trench w/a belt? Would a military surplus be a good place to check? I haven't seen anything online, even w/o a price limit.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on where to get a gray mid length trench w/a belt? Would a military surplus be a good place to check? I haven't seen anything online, even w/o a price limit.

This is going to be harder to find. Mall-brand stores are still trying to do supercropped trench coats, and grey is going to be tougher to find than khaki.

Don't go military surplus. Generally, that stuff will fit much more loosely than what you want. Because coated cotton is thick, rumply, and wants to stand away from the body, you'll want your trench to fit slim - even when it isn't belted, it should come in at the waist. Just keep an eye out, eventually someone will make your ideal trench.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Looking for a slim-fit plain button down (you know, blue or white or whatever) that is long enough to tuck in. I love the fit of BOO and the look of the new Farinelli stuff, but need something longer.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Price range?

bck

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend me brands for brown (chestnut or walnut) loafers that are sleek and will last me 3-4 years with daily wear? I'm a college undergrad. I prefer venetian loafers. I'll mostly be wearing them with jeans and a t-shirt (sometimes button-down shirts) without a belt. I'm willing to spend up to $450-500ish. Thanks.

Reginald Bartholomew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
^Price range?

Apologies, I mentioned BOO and Farinellis figuring that would give my range. Around $200, though I would go a bit higher under the right circumstances.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bck
Can anyone recommend me brands for brown (chestnut or walnut) loafers that are sleek and will last me 3-4 years with daily wear? I'm a college undergrad. I prefer venetian loafers. I'll mostly be wearing them with jeans and a t-shirt (sometimes button-down shirts) without a belt. I'm willing to spend up to $450-500ish. Thanks.

First of all, just wear a belt. Jeans look bad without a belt. It's not hard to find a good one, and it really ties a look together, especially with leather shoes.

Second of all, suede will generally look better, texturally, with jeans and a t-shirt. Rough knit jersey, rough woven denim, sleek leather is probably going to look terrible. Wear suede, or at least a rough leather (the kind your belt should be made of). The thing that sinks 90% of casual outfits with a menswear element is a lack of understanding of texture and silhouette.

Third of all, I don't know if anything will last you 3-4 years with daily wear without getting a bunch of ugly creases and quickly looking like ****. Why not buy two pairs and rotate them, you'll extend the lifespan of both shoes drastically.

Fourth of all, ask MC what kind of Venetian loafers to buy, they really know their stuff in that regard.

mtmindc

Reaction score
Crossposted from MC:
Originally Posted by aj_del
62110FabZ_4945Web.jpg
the Sart's comments Fabrizio is one of the few men I know that can pull-off a club collar shirt. On him it looks so normal. I also love the military tie-tuck, that's something we just don't see enough of these days

I've been searching a cardigan in this shade of yellow/wheat/afternoon sunlight. Anybody have a suggestion?

enigma77

Reaction score
I am looking for some direction for the fall. I have an idea of things I want to do (no more polos; more pants over denim; sweaters; multi textured shoes + sneakers), but I'm looking for some ideas on where to start. In particular, I'm looking for the following pieces: - grey trench w/belt - light material plaid shirts (no flannel) - flat front slim cut cotton pants - "casual" oxfords (low heel/thin sole, almost sneaker like appearance. multiple textures such as suede + faux croc would be a plus) - drapey sweaters I've checked out some of the sponsors here and found a lot of stuff, which I'm very happy about. But whatever suggestions you guys have for the pieces I've listed would be appreciated.
Lots here, but to the pants -- many like Save Khaki's slim chinos. I much prefer Epaulet's. Also Incotex are legendary, but not cheap. I mean, you could just wear sneakers. But the flex welt Alden PTB would probably serve you well, although there's no faux croc option. Gilt seems to get a lot of faux croc-esque kinds of things in, so it may be worth watching there.

cl smooth

Reaction score
I need to buy a pair of black oxford laceups, to be worn with my navy and charcoal suits. I don't want to spend more than 200-250. any suggestions?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads