• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many miles did you run today?

airblaster503

Reaction score
4 miles this evening in right at 28 minutes. Probably a little fast considering my IT band was hurting last week but after a few days off and stretching and foam rolling it felt fine. 7 min pace felt pretty easy too, though I think I need to slow down my runs just to make sure I am not pushing it to much.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20 miles yesterday morning at a nice, easy 9:15 pace. Took an ice bath immediately afterwards to reduce the swelling in my right hammy (it's been bugging me lately). It worked like a charm.

6 miles tonight.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
20 miles yesterday morning at a nice, easy 9:15 pace. Took an ice bath immediately afterwards to reduce the swelling in my right hammy (it's been bugging me lately). It worked like a charm.

6 miles tonight.

How did you prep the Ice Bath?/Did you use a Garmin watch?/Are you training for a particular race?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblackbones
How did you prep the Ice Bath?/Did you use a Garmin watch?/Are you training for a particular race?

I got into the bathtub and ran the cold water until it covered my lower body completely. I then had my wife pour 20 lbs of ice in the tub. First few minutes are painful, after that you don't feel anything but numbness. I stayed in the ice for ~20 minutes. Give it a try - you won't regret it.

I use an old Garmin Forerunner 405 - simple to operate and works great for my needs.

I'm in the 9th week of training for the Long Beach marathon. I've been using Pfitzinger's 18/55 training plan.

closetmess

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
7 miles in just under 1 hour, most of it at a 7.5 min/mile pace. It is my longest run ever and doing at better than a 8 min/mile pace makes me very happy.

Impressive speed starting out. Just try not to overdo it or elevate your expectations too high. Well done!

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by closetmess
Impressive speed starting out. Just try not to overdo it or elevate your expectations too high. Well done!
Thanks! I've been careful as you state, having had a slight hyperextension of my left knee a few weeks ago from (I think) lengthening my stride in an attempt to make time. Not smart, I know. I have gradually increased the distance I have been able to run, from around 3 miles or so, to the current 6-7. I admit I get bored past an hour or so, so I am not sure I'll do longer distances unless I get faster. On that front, I've managed to lower my baseline speed, which I feel comfortable maintaining, from around 9:30/mile range to under 8 min/mile range. Not as fast as most of the Speedy Gonzalez's on this forum, but for someone turning 44 next month and never having run regularly, they are small victories.
smile.gif

mylesmyles

Reaction score
6.63 miles in 47:15 this morning in Central Park.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Been laying low, partly from the school work, partly from family, partly from weather: kind of miserable to set out at 5:30 a.m. into a very humid 80* morning. Even the pool is warm to the touch, so that doesn't help the recovery along, either.

That said, I've been knocking out the 4 and 5 milers in the early a.m. for the past few weeks. Pacing is slow compared to the winter mileage, but at least I'm out there.

Have my lottery entry in for the Aramco half marathon, will know in a week if I get in. I think there's a warm-up half in October which I ought to be in decent shape for, regardless of whether I get in to Aramco or not.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
4 miles this evening in right at 28 minutes. Probably a little fast considering my IT band was hurting last week but after a few days off and stretching and foam rolling it felt fine. 7 min pace felt pretty easy too, though I think I need to slow down my runs just to make sure I am not pushing it to much.

Good to hear you're out on the road. I've found that a slow start and then ramping up has helped my IT/knee pain. The leg is still feeling a bit precious but I can manage more than an hour on my feet. YMMV.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surgery time is here, which means 12 weeks before I walk again.
frown.gif

I am getting a bone transplant in my talus.
Nice thing is this has been a problem for 20 years, so I can run with confidence if this heals right.

On another note:
My brother ran the White River 50 Miler, I think I am going to take that off my list of goals as he said it made the Iron Man feel like a kids time on the play ground, scary coming from him.
I am setting my sights on 2011 trail races, primarily the North Face endurance challenges-at the marathon distance, perhaps a 50K if I can get my self back in shape.

airblaster503

Reaction score
6 miles today in 44 minutes. IT band was a bit tight this morning after the run yesterday but it didn't get any worse during the run, slowed my pace down a bit so I think that helped.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 miles today in about 1:10
Felt great to push it on the boardwalk - plenty of girls on bikes to catch up too . . .
Jumped in the ocean to cool off/loosen up. Life is good!

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
10 today.
Got a Bib for the AFC Half this weekend in San Diego (my home city)
STOKED

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8 miles. The heat and humidity made it seem like 100.

samblackbones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ten hard hot miles in Irvine today,
then on the bike ride home A Woman made a quick left turn going the opposite direction and hit me on my bike. The bike is totalled, and my foot is broken - but the rest of me is okay.
God Damnit - this puts a kink in my training in a big way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads