• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

bpm2000

Reaction score
So I spilled a glass of red all over my jacket/shirt/pants on saturday. It dried once but has been sitting in cold water since. I have heard wine-away works to get this out, but I was going to take it to the cleaners today. What is the order of operation here? If the cleaners can't get it out I imagine they will probably set it trying to clean/press it - should I try the wine-away first or after the cleaners?

Gagno905

Reaction score
I'm in the market for my first suit, price range is about 1k.

I'll start off by saying I don't know too much about suits in general, but I've seen some on here that I think look really nice.

My ideas so far:
Charcoal colour so it can be versatile and worn in any situation.
Made to measure from a tailor in the area that I trust (Ottawa, ON). His prices start at $799.

The reason I'm going made to measure is becasue I'm slim as hell and an off the rack suit will probably leave me swimming in it. I'm 5'8, 120lb and wear an XS in everything. I'd probably be a 34 suit if I could even find one.

Can I get some general advice from you guys on what to look for in a first suit?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gagno905
I'm in the market for my first suit, price range is about 1k.

I'll start off by saying I don't know too much about suits in general, but I've seen some on here that I think look really nice.

My ideas so far:
Charcoal colour so it can be versatile and worn in any situation.
Made to measure from a tailor in the area that I trust (Ottawa, ON). His prices start at $799.

The reason I'm going made to measure is becasue I'm slim as hell and an off the rack suit will probably leave me swimming in it. I'm 5'8, 120lb and wear an XS in everything. I'd probably be a 34 suit if I could even find one.

Can I get some general advice from you guys on what to look for in a first suit?

http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...43&postcount=2

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a J Press v-neck merino sweater that I took to the tailor to be taken in. The tailor told me that he would rather not do it because its a "very nice traditional sweater and it's supposed to fit 'that way."

I just bought a couple cotton/cashmere sweaters from J Crew and they fit big in the torso as well. Am I really not supposed to be slimming these? I look lumpy!

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I wouldn't recommend an Allen Edmonds to anybody.

What other options are there in the $100-$300 range?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Option 2, save a small amount more and get Aldens. Park Aves are more than $300 anyway.

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Option 2, save a small amount more and get Aldens. Park Aves are more than $300 anyway.
I got mine for $200. Factory seconds can be had for less.

Doot

Reaction score
Eh. I'm really sorry I have to pull this out on a nice forum such as this, but I deemed it necessary to take such heinous action. I know, one's first post should never, ever be in a thread that is fueled by questions or meaningful discussion from inquisitive forum members whose membership has existed for an acceptable amount of time. But desperate times call for desperate measures. And if this initial post is akin to "illegal" action on these chic boards, then I suppose I'll take the appropriate punishment. All formalities aside, I now commence with my "question" (of sorts). In short, I found an image; within this image was contained a pair of shoes that seemed to be the essence of a casual-appearing, serious-acting desert boot. Behold, said image and said pair of shoes: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8M1AOlRglSI/S9...jpg?imgmax=400 What brand, and what model, is this? So there they are. I don't believe they are Clarks Originals, as Google Shopping did not indicate so. I'm very intrigued by this mysterious boot, and if I can find more images, then I will be sure to edit this post to add these images. It appears the image was not represented, in this post, in the fashion I would have desired it to be. Oh well, the link works just as well. Apologies.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doot
Eh. I'm really sorry I have to pull this out on a nice forum such as this, but I deemed it necessary to take such heinous action. I know, one's first post should never, ever be in a thread that is fueled by questions or meaningful discussion from inquisitive forum members whose membership has existed for an acceptable amount of time. But desperate times call for desperate measures. And if this initial post is akin to "illegal" action on these chic boards, then I suppose I'll take the appropriate punishment. All formalities aside, I now commence with my "question" (of sorts). In short, I found an image; within this image was contained a pair of shoes that seemed to be the essence of a casual-appearing, serious-acting desert boot. Behold, said image and said pair of shoes: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8M1AOlRglSI/S9...jpg?imgmax=400 What brand, and what model, is this? So there they are. I don't believe they are Clarks Originals, as Google Shopping did not indicate so. I'm very intrigued by this mysterious boot, and if I can find more images, then I will be sure to edit this post to add these images. It appears the image was not represented, in this post, in the fashion I would have desired it to be. Oh well, the link works just as well. Apologies.
Dude, just ask the question. There is no need to type out a novel explaining your reasoning. The dudes who spazz on new guys only get pissed about new threads. Also here is your image.
3258575-rescaledpic-375x565.jpg
They dont really look like boots from this angle. They look like shoes that are modeled after Clarks boots.

potemkin_city_limits

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doot
Sorry about the post lacking brevity, but other forums I frequent are quite harsh about where newbies post, how they do it, and whatnot. Glad to see I can forego these actions here, thanks. http://lh4.ggpht.com/_8M1AOlRglSI/S9...jpg?imgmax=400 Another image. Edit: What am I doing wrong with my img tags?
frown.gif

Whatever site you are linking them from has a part at the end that goes "?imgmax=400" Just delete that part and end it at .jpg
3258572-rescaledpic-375x565.jpg
Again I have no idea what brand those are, but like I said before they look like shoes and not boots. I like the look though. Im also interested in the answer.

poissa

Reaction score
I'm going to try moderntailor. Does the combination of contrast collar and button cuffs work or is that faux paus? This shirt will rarely be worn with a suit and I'd like to wear that during the weekend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads