• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aversion to black sport coat / blazer?

airdale

Reaction score
Many on this site seem to have a strong distaste for black sport coats / blazers. I typically favor dark blue jeans, a simple collared shirt and a sport coat for casual occasions. While I've certainly gotten plenty of wear out of my navy blazers, I've got my eye on a new black sport coat. Please advise me if (and why) this might end up relegated to the back of my closet. And thanks for all the great advice I've picked up here.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
why would it become relegated to the back of your closet if you really like it? i can see it being worn under many occasions . better if your 20-30s something. i had a black isaia sportcoat once and it was out of this world. a nice sheen to it matched with brown trousers is a great look for evening casual dressy wear

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
why would it become relegated to the back of your closet if you really like it? i can see it being worn under many occasions . better if your 20-30s something. i had a black isaia sportcoat once and it was out of this world. a nice sheen to it matched with brown trousers is a great look for evening casual dressy wear

Here you go again. I'll say it again, brown and black don't look good together, in my opinion.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Here you go again. I'll say it again, brown and black don't look good together, in my opinion.

Well there you go again. It's merely a matter of opinion. I don't think brown and black is the most ideal combo, but it can easily be done, particularly if the brown is more on the tan side. Black and tan.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't be ridiculous, I just stated my opinion again and made reference to your other post where I also disagreed. Where I disagreed you were the one who labled me as narrowminded. What label did I give you?

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really does come down to preferences. My second all purpose sport coat was a dark charcoal, i.e. black, 3 button and no vent, bought at some department store, cheap ass hell on sale. Anathema to some. I still wear it as an alternative to a sweater on cold days, I like it.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Well there you go again. It's merely a matter of opinion. I don't think brown and black is the most ideal combo, but it can easily be done, particularly if the brown is more on the tan side. Black and tan.

fistbump.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black linen suits are cool, especially for an upscale nightclub scene.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Black linen suits are cool, especially for an upscale nightclub scene.
I hate black, but yeah, I agree that black linen is all right. I got a black linen SC a few weeks ago. Black linen isn't really all that black anyway.

literasyme

Reaction score
It's really up to you -- if you like black, go for it. However, black coats can look cheap quite easily. They also don't bring much of interest to any combination, unless they have something going on texturally, as linen does. But if you like black, I'm sure you know ways of making it work for you.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Here you go again. I'll say it again, brown and black don't look good together, in my opinion

... and since we're collecting subjective aesthetic preferences here, put me down as a "yes" vote to that combination. I think black and brown look great together far more often than not. But of course, we can agree to disagree.

Black is fine after dark. Don't like black suits or sports coats in the day, however, because it is generally the uniform of the douche.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn

... and since we're collecting subjective aesthetic preferences here, put me down as a "yes" vote to that combination. I think black and brown look great together far more often than not. But of course, we can agree to disagree.

Black is fine after dark. Don't like black suits or sports coats in the day, however, because it is generally the uniform of the douche.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
I think most of the hate for black is in business wear. Wearing black with jeans and in casual wear is not something I see criticized that often.

I really hate black suits for business but I wear a lot of black in casual.

StyleHunter

Reaction score
I have a very cool black rolled 3 button Isaia sport coat that I were with steel grey or taupe and I always get compliments.

Although onetime when wearing the steel grey slacks someone told me I looked like I was going to a wedding! ha-ha..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads