• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on finding the "perfect" blue sportcoat

Buck Rogers

Reaction score
I recently lost about 65 pounds and have the unfortunate or fortunate situation of having to replace the "staples" in my wardrobe.

I am in the market for a blue sportcoat, not a blazer (which is a distinction that I can't seem to articulate, but "know it when I see it").

My preferences are:

1. I really like a "soft shoulder" - I have found that Isaia has a shoulder that typically fits my taste.
2. I would like something "slim" - not overly trendy, but I seem to like the Ralph Lauren Black Label model.
3. I would like the fabric to be without any type of pattern (i.e. smooth), but not have the sheen of the cheap blue blazer look - I think that my knowledge in what works in this area is lacking - Brioni tends to make fabrics that I like.
4. I would like the buttons to not be "ship captain", but could live with something that is not horn if it were interesting.
5. I would like the jacket to be as unconstructed and "light" as possible - I own an unlined Zegna blazer that I love and also have seen a recent grey Brunello Cucinelli sport coat from this year's collection that I love.

Anyway, I know this is specific, but I have been looking around for awhile and I can't seem to find anything that I like - I am being a bit particular, given that this is a "staple" and I will only own one. I have never had something made for me, but am considering it for this purchase, considering that I can't seem to find what I like.

Any thoughts?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I bought a signature label RL sportcoat in Navy flannel, it avoids the 'blazer' ideal while remaining navy.

The trick is to use fabrics other than worsted wool, like flannel for the winter and linen for the summer.
Patch pockets help distinguish it as a sportcoat as well as elbow patches and buttons like MOP or brown horn.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers
I recently lost about 65 pounds and have the unfortunate or fortunate situation of having to replace the "staples" in my wardrobe.

I am in the market for a blue sportcoat, not a blazer (which is a distinction that I can't seem to articulate, but "know it when I see it").

My preferences are:

1. I really like a "soft shoulder" - I have found that Isaia has a shoulder that typically fits my taste.
2. I would like something "slim" - not overly trendy, but I seem to like the Ralph Lauren Black Label model.
3. I would like the fabric to be without any type of pattern (i.e. smooth), but not have the sheen of the cheap blue blazer look - I think that my knowledge in what works in this area is lacking - Brioni tends to make fabrics that I like.
4. I would like the buttons to not be "ship captain", but could live with something that is not horn if it were interesting.
5. I would like the jacket to be as unconstructed and "light" as possible - I own an unlined Zegna blazer that I love and also have seen a recent grey Brunello Cucinelli sport coat from this year's collection that I love.

Anyway, I know this is specific, but I have been looking around for awhile and I can't seem to find anything that I like - I am being a bit particular, given that this is a "staple" and I will only own one. I have never had something made for me, but am considering it for this purchase, considering that I can't seem to find what I like.

Any thoughts?

kiton

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers

My preferences are:

Any thoughts?

why not get an Isaia in a very light weight fabric? the shoulder is really the key in my opinion.. the other features are relatively easy to alter

literasyme

Reaction score
I don't think RLPL will be right -- the shoulder's not that soft, nor is it that slim-cut. Then again, #1 and #2 are sort of working against each other: RLBL and Isaia have rather different aesthetics.

I agree that an Isaia -- in the S silhouette or maybe the Dustin model (or so I hear) -- might be the right idea. Cloth is tricky, and I think you'll just have to explore. Cucinelli make navy sports coats, so that's maybe worth looking into; you could also see if you can locate a Zegna in the Milano fit. Buttons shouldn't be much of an issue, IMO, since they can always be replaced quite easily.

LaoHu

Reaction score

literasyme

Reaction score
Hardly slim fitting! Though the fabric probably fits the bill.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
why not get an Isaia in a very light weight fabric? the shoulder is really the key in my opinion.. the other features are relatively easy to alter

exactly. go for an S or V base (the V is trimmer, but typically has a slightly more built up shoulder than the S).

or, a caruso.

exchange239

Reaction score
Bored one day while in London having a few hours to kill I ran across Hackett on Jermyn St. Usually I wouldn't of stopped in but a blue blazer caught my eye. Not the coat has become one of my favorite casual/weekend blazers.

Not sure what else you're looking for but I didn't feel like dropping 2k+ for a blazer so was glad to find one at Hackett and of decent construction considering it was OTR.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
This thread is restoring my faith in SF.

Blue blazers are for dopes and anyone who wears one should be ashamed!

Better?
tounge.gif

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoying this thread so I'll I'd try to breathe some life into it.

What do people think of Brioni blazers? I have a chance to pick up a few navy ones in my size with subtle distinctions (one has side vents, the other center vented) at a good price. They do not have soft shoulders, or course, but I find their construction flattering. My current staple blazer is an old Dak's which works okay, but I'm now in my 30's and it could stand to be upgraded. Do people see Brioni blazers as too heavily constructed? Wondering if i should I wait to find a blazer with softer shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads