• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have bad teeth...

WhiskeyBent

Reaction score
So I am pretty content with the way I look, minus the fact that I have crooked teeth. They're not nastily yellow or anything, just out of alignment pretty good. I'm 21, so I'm just curious as to what my options are? It causes a bit of a self-confidence issue, and I'd like to get it fixed. Definitely don't want braces, but is it too late for the clear braces to work?

imschatz

Reaction score
The less arrogant version of edmorel's response .. set up an appointment with an orthodontist. He's the only guy that will be able to tell you if clear braces will work or not. Your question is equivilent to asking "will this particular version of chemotheropy work on my unknown cancer?".

Generally though .. you need pretty straight teeth for clear braces to work. Any major realignment regardless of age is usually not recommended. My teeth were fairly crooked, nothing disfiguring, but noticable. Got a "absolutely not" from my orthodontist when I asked if it was an option.

And define "clear braces" .. I'm guessing you are taking about the plastic "mouthguard-like" inserts, and not the ceramic braces. Ceramic braces are normal braces but with clear ceramic brackets.
ceramic.jpg

I have ceramic brackets, and only cost $100 extra over traditional steel braces. When my teeth are clean, and when talking with people who don't know I have braces .. they can't tell. I had a conversation with my cousin for 20 minutes and she only noticed the braces after I mentioned them.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you think you need some braces, it will be much less socially awkward at 21 than it will at 30, trust me.

At 21 you shouldn't give much of a **** about your appearance outside of the narrow goal of getting laid. The level of booze involved in the hookup scene at your age should go a long way in getting women past your braces. They may even aid in snagging a perved-out cougar who has a thing for really young boys... Carve out a little niche for yourself.

Fast forward to 30 where you might be interested in finding a quality woman for the long-term and work in a supervisory role. Braces arent getting you much respect in either case...

WhiskeyBent

Reaction score
I was thinking along the lines of Invisaline. I also don't believe I can afford them. I know my parents won't pay for them and I'm not sure if my dental insurance will cover it. I suppose I just need to schedule an appointment with an orthodontist, as previously mentioned.

mikej77

Reaction score
Invisalign, I got them at age 25 and they were well worth the investment.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Braces on women are a big turn on for me. I wouldn't want them to be invisible.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent
I was thinking along the lines of Invisaline. I also don't believe I can afford them. I know my parents won't pay for them and I'm not sure if my dental insurance will cover it. I suppose I just need to schedule an appointment with an orthodontist, as previously mentioned.
Invisalign are like mouth guards. I'm wearing them right now. Cosmetic dentistry shouldn't be fully covered by insurance, if at all.

Ippo

Reaction score
Get the braces if you can, they'll definitely be worth it in the long run. Sacrificing 1-2 years for a perfect set of teeth for pretty much the rest of your life will be one of the best investments you'll ever make.

Some words of advice, when you get the braces off, make sure to wear your retainers as often as possible for as long as your dentist tells you to, or your teeth will shift back a bit to their original state.

Also, I believe depending on how crooked your teeth are, your dentist may tell you that Invisaline may not be suitable for you. In that case, you should still get the regular braces.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ippo
Get the braces if you can, they'll definitely be worth it in the long run. Sacrificing 1-2 years for a perfect set of teeth for pretty much the rest of your life will be one of the best investments you'll ever make.

It is so true.

Invisalign or braces are both fine I'd say... I dunno, I know some people with clear braces and they make their teeth look odd. Having braces blows, but it's honestly one of the best and easiest investments in your appearance you can make.

teacha.gif
keep wearing retainer at least once every few nights when you get braces off. I neglected to do this and my teeth started to shift, the retainer pushed them back into place within a few months but it felt painful and sensitive until they fixed into place and they're not QUITE as perfect as they used to be (but still excellent.)

WhiskeyBent

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations. I scheduled an appointment with an orthodontist to see what my best options are.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhiskeyBent
Thanks for the recommendations. I scheduled an appointment with an orthodontist to see what my best options are.
Good move. I hope it works out for you to get braces or it's equivalent, the sooner the better.

ANIKETOS

Reaction score
I unfortunately had braces when i was young.Completely ignored wearing the retainers afterwards and my teeth went back to worse than what they used to be.Now i have to think of invisaline and worse have to take out my wisdom teeth for that to work.I have been putting this off for years but now in my early thirties i have to do it and get it over with...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads