• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leaving Miami office to work from home in NYC?

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
I currently work as the real estate director for a national fitness club - headquartered in Miami Beach.

Miami, cool right? Not exactly. The people suck, and living in a place where tourists flock to party year round gets old pretty quick.

Since almost 100% of my job is talking on the phone, I am contemplating moving back to NYC and setting up a home office.

Staying in Miami would probably be the smarter move, business wise. But my happiness living in NYC would result in a better quality of life.

Information that may be relevant:
-im 26, and single.
-Our company's operations director also works from a home office in Atlanta
-We have a 'satellite' office in NYC, but the owner would like an actual body in NYC to meet with clients.

I keep going back and forth, so any opinions would be appreciated.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NY is full of tourists and the cost of living is probably 3x higher. The weather is also worse.

But I love NY anyway. If you're miserable and want to move, you should probably move.

soxpats

Reaction score
Spent time in both places, would take Miami over NY any day. Your choice though, enjoy the city.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you possibly spend Summers in NYC and Winters in Miami
smile.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WoodyStylee
Yes I could, however i just want to wash my hands of Miami all together.
They why are you even asking for opinions? Just get started winding things down and move already.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i can't imagine ever picking NYC over Miami, but i get the impression that NYC is/feels like home to you and that's probably why you want to move back.

are you prepared to take a pay cut, though? between state and local taxes and the higher cost of living in NY, your financials will take a huge hit unless your employer is willing to make up the difference

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
NYC is awesome to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. SAme with Miami. Good luck with your decision.

soxpats

Reaction score
Yes I could, however i just want to wash my hands of Miami all together.

Doesn't make sense you would start a thread about this when you already know what you want to do. Why bother?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soxpats
Doesn't make sense you would start a thread about this when you already know what you want to do. Why bother?

You're kinda new around here, aren't you?
laugh.gif

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
NYC is awesome to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. SAme with Miami. Good luck with your decision.

Thats how I feel about living in Miami.

Prior to Miami, I lived in Williamsburg Brooklyn for almost a year, and loved every second of it. Thinking about trying Manhattan out for size since the money I used to spend on cabs getting back to BK probably evens out the rent costs.

My only remaining hesitation is leaving a typical office environment, and working from home in NYC. Obviously a huge adjustment.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats how I feel about living in Miami.

Prior to Miami, I lived in Williamsburg Brooklyn for almost a year, and loved every second of it. Thinking about trying Manhattan out for size since the money I used to spend on cabs getting back to BK probably evens out the rent costs.

My only remaining hesitation is leaving a typical office environment, and working from home in NYC. Obviously a huge adjustment.

You can rent office space in lower Manhattan for couple hundred a month. Where do you think all the NYC startups work?

makker

Reaction score
Whats wrong with living in a ocean-view condo on Miami Beach? I would love that.

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makker
Whats wrong with living in a ocean-view condo on Miami Beach? I would love that.

Thats what i thought before i lived here. Sure there are cool things to do, and the weather is nice. But the people suck (the words pretentious, trashy, and golddigger, come to mind). Theres no culture or substance, just party party party. Gets old real quick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads