• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I guess nobody likes pigs in a blanket...
smile.gif

I fapped...I just didn't want to write about it.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
Celebrated our anniversary last night, so we had planned to go to one of our favorite restaurants...only to find out when we got there that it was closed for two days. We ended up going to an Italian place that we'd heard good things about. We shared a wedge and caprese salad, I had a zucchini walnut lasagne and my wife had some sort of chicken dish. Finished off with tiramisu and a single malt.

All-in-all, it was far better than I thought it would be and the lasagne was really incredible. The side of sauteed spinach, however, seemed more like reheated frozen junk. How you make sauteed spinach with garlic and pignoli (an almost inherently flavorful dish) bland and unappealing is beyond me. They had great bread (highlight was a black olive loaf) and a decent wine selection. For the prices charged (which are in line with the most expensive 2-3 restaurants in town), the service was a little too lax and a few corners had been cut. The server even admitted that the "Italian-style cheesecake" with mascarpone and almond crust that they were peddling for nearly $10 was actually just a Sara Lee cake.

I'll almost certainly go back, if only for the lasagne and a chance to try their wild mushroom pizza.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I fapped...I just didn't want to write about it.

Thanks man. I slaved over a hot stove for like 19 minutes to make those... I don't expect a medal or anything, but a little appreciation is always nice.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Thanks man. I slaved over a hot stove for like 19 minutes to make those... I don't expect a medal or anything, but a little appreciation is always nice.

It made me remember my childhood. Pigs in a blanket are like the ultimate food to eat while watching football games.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
It made me remember my childhood. Pigs in a blanket are like the ultimate food to eat while watching football games.

I usually make mini pigs w lil smokies for football.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Takashi -

Sweetbreads over potatoes lyonnaise,
hamachi over kimchi w/ garlic chip and a mild dipping sauce,
baramundi w/ a light mustard sauce and a roast aubergine

Still as good as when it opened, but it's just not possible to replicate Tribute. Fortunately, it's about half the price, so I'm pretty satisfied.

This place is pretty close to us, and my (now) wife and I went there a couple of years ago. It was good but not especially memorable. I give them credit - they've been in that space quite a while, outlasting Glory (a New England concept) and Scylla (Stephanie Izzard's old place).

Sounds like you really enjoyed it, Ron. We should give it another try. Remember that we need to set up dinner at Schwa. My wife can walk over there during the day and try to score a reservation in person.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ate bibimbap at this new startup, soon to be chain thing here. It's store no.1 for now and then they're gonna open the successive restaurants in various world cities; you walk in and they have a Chipotle-like menu with an ingredient choice flow, you put together your food on the line like you would at Chipotle, and then you cash out at the end. It's a good idea but the execution is clumsy as hell because it's all mystery stuff for anybody but Koreans, and it will probably fail unless they get better at it. It's good tasting for $7 though, and would be an interesting fast food alternative I guess. http://www.sobahn.co.kr/index.asp

Yo-han

Reaction score
crossposted from pork belly thread. deep fried pork belly

4856993221_ae9591aa23_b.jpg

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slice of Cheese pizza from D'Amore's in the Farmer's Market on 3rd and Fairfax.

4864507943_8cd1b8732b_b.jpg

4864507693_7cd8699d6a_b.jpg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
^Beautiful. Your ice cream too?

Unfortunately no, we do have a ice cream maker but we don't use it enough. It is Strauss, a local dairy that makes rather excellent ice cream and butter in addition to their milk.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kansas city bone-in strip steak at Smith & Wollensky's, with seven other guys at table facing the river - celebrating a buddy's 40th birthday. The dry aged beef was great (a nice mineral-y-ness), and we got a tour of the aging room.

One of our more prominent female chefs stopped by for an appetizer (a friend of some of the guys). Interesting conversation about the local restaurant business.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
plate of 8 types of iberian cured meats, and 5 types of spanish cheeses

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Did the NYT pork belly recipe. So good.

IMG_1030.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads