• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If not Aldens, then ... What?

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
I'd try C&J through Pediwear. Pricing is usually just a touch lower than Aldens through regular channels.
I am a bit leary of ordering shoes in British sizes over the internet. Can't tell if they are comfortable on my feet, can't be certain of the size, and I'm ordering based on a poor picture.

Where can I see C&Js - and try a few on - in the DC-Boston corridor?

zinman74

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
end of season sale every year on the polo (EG) line... half off + with the code.

I would love to know what that code is.....or when the sale is
smile.gif

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I'll come out and say it: I don't understand why feet should need a heavily suppressed waist. Jackets have a suppressed waist to emphasize thin-ness and breadth of chest. Are we trying to subtly indicate to the opposite sex that we have narrow arches and broad toes, and therefore will make fertile partners?

Yeah, I don't really get it either. I like a bit of a beveled waist on certain models but I've seen shoes here with such a dramatic waist and 2 inch heels that they border on being womens shoes.

w.mj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tim_horton
I have the C&J Connaught in black and think they look nice. Very, very comfortable too (for my feet, anyway.) Too bad they don't come in dark brown. As noted, they can be had online from Pediwear.

I'll second this. The connaught is a great shoe. It's too bad that the other C&J lasts are much less conservative.

Moss

Reaction score
C&J and Grenson Masterpiece provide English styling that is slightly more sleek than Alden, but still quite traditional (I happen to like Alden as well, especially in cordovan).

You can try C&J shoes at Brooks Brothers sold as BB Peal made in England. The C&J made ones have a single row of nails on the heel (the double row nailed Peals are made by Alfred Sargent).

You can also try C&J shoes at the Turnbull & Asser shop on 57th Street in NY.

Nearby on Madison Avenue is Paul Stuart, where you can try Grenson Masterpiece shoes sold under the label, Stuart's Choice.

A.K.A.

Reaction score
Sky Valet in Georgetown has C&J. The Hallam is listed at $550 on their website. It is a nice store and the owner is very helpful.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by threadbare
C&J and Grenson Masterpiece provide English styling that is slightly more sleek than Alden, but still quite traditional (I happen to like Alden as well, especially in cordovan).

You can try C&J shoes at Brooks Brothers sold as BB Peal made in England. The C&J made ones have a single row of nails on the heel (the double row nailed Peals are made by Alfred Sargent).

You can also try C&J shoes at the Turnbull & Asser shop on 57th Street in NY.

Nearby on Madison Avenue is Paul Stuart, where you can try Grenson Masterpiece shoes sold under the label, Stuart's Choice.

I think Barneys also carries C&J, although I am not certain of that.

Odd I/O

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by J. Cogburn
I need to buy a couple of plain and cap-toe black oxfords but can't spend more than about $500 per pair. I like the Aldens but they are a little ... unexciting. But what are the alternatives? Is there anything made as well as Aldens but with a bit sexier styling while staying in that price range?

Not interested in Italian shoes .....

Have you checked out Aldens on the Plaza last? That's a pretty sleek last.

someotherstyle

Reaction score
I would suggest looking at the Plaza last as well, but if not you could always go Italian. I have a number of Prada shoes that have lasted me for 5 years and are still going strong that I got for just around 500. Also, Ferragamo makes a decent shoe.

CMD.EXE

Reaction score
There is a brand....

I promised to find the name of it and the store that sells it for another thread but I haven't had a chance yet.

Their shoes are a LOT less than 500 and they have all those fixins, the bevelled/fiddle waist, channel sewn, seamless heel (at least the model I saw did) and the leather was "butta"...

I'll say it again, german (or at least germanic) sounding name and made in a south of the border country, argentina or mexico...or maybe it was spain but I'm 90% sure it wasn't. They were goodyear welted.

pitboss12

Reaction score
In addition to the stores listed above, you can try on C&Js in their store in NYC on W56th.

J. Cogburn

Reaction score
Have you checked out Aldens on the Plaza last? That's a pretty sleek last.

Isn't the Aberdeen last their most narrow (and most wasted) last?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I think Barneys also carries C&J, although I am not certain of that.

Haven't seen any C&Js at the BH Barney's in several years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads