• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod to Suedehead

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Despite what people assumed, Milky never died in TIE. just got seriously fucked up. I think there's even a quick line at the end where Shaun's mum tells him that Milky's going to be ok, but it was easy to miss that bit.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guitar Preacher
This threads been a real good read thus far.

I'm only sorry I have run out of material.
frown.gif

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man-of-Mystery
I'm only sorry I have run out of material.
frown.gif

Even if that quote is the death of this thread it was still one of my favorite finds on the forum.

Something ive been wondering. Did skinhead girls ever actually wear a pomp like Lol in the TIE 86' teaser and the girl in this music video? Or is the a bit of a psuedo/updated look?
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guitar Preacher
Something ive been wondering. Did skinhead girls ever actually wear a pomp like Lol in the TIE 86' teaser and the girl in this music video? Or is the a bit of a psuedo/updated look?

This much I can tell you: neither in that video nor in the clothes of any "revival" girl have I seen anyone get the look of a late 60s skinhead girl right. If you want, I can go into details, but that would make this thread go off topic.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
someone mention skinhead girls...
smile.gif

12151137.jpg

99270633.jpg

43798043.jpg

42592076.jpg

46146130.jpg

68521799.jpg

17774547.jpg

52243621.jpg

28225713.jpg

34178797.jpg

51390714.jpg

14591847.jpg

42662347.jpg

this gal is "SF approved", note selvedge denim
15127584.jpg

pics from a 3 book series called "Skinhead Girls of the World" put out by a Spanish skin girl that shows chicks from worldwide scenes.
worship.gif

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one on the left...
42592076.jpg

is the closest to how the late 60s girls looked. The rest - way off!

(one or two are cute, though)

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
Why don't I see anyone like that in Brisbane? Granted, I only like 1 in 3/1 in 4, but damn.

Paint House Gang

Reaction score
*shifting my wig a little* No, no, it's real, I assure you!
biggrin.gif

Re bleaching Levis: Yes that was around then too. It was a trick done by people who couldn't wait for the denim to fade naturally, and generally it didn't work all that well. At one time I had three pairs of Levis - one still dark blue, one fading, another bleached and streaky (overcooked). I didn't have that jacket for long - I think I passed it to Bob (or he passed it to me and I passed it to someone else - it's a bloody long time ago!).

In the booklet that comes with the Nuggets volume 2 box set I was surprised to find one of the Brit mod/freakbeat bands wearing bleachers. I thought it might be some sort of pop art thing at first but looking closely they're definitely bleachers.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
Despite what people assumed, Milky never died in TIE. just got seriously fucked up. I think there's even a quick line at the end where Shaun's mum tells him that Milky's going to be ok, but it was easy to miss that bit.

That's what I thought. I hope he gets a prominent part in TIE 86, because he was one of my favorite characters.

KD-fens

Reaction score
This much I can tell you: neither in that video nor in the clothes of any "revival" girl have I seen anyone get the look of a late 60s skinhead girl right. If you want, I can go into details, but that would make this thread go off topic.

It wouldn't be going too far off topic, it's still about traditional skinhead wear, just the other gender.
I've seen very few well dressed skinhead girls. Most of the time they're just wearing mens clothes.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely not a trad skin look, but I
inlove.gif
the current Fred Perry female model.

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KD-fens
It wouldn't be going too far off topic, it's still about traditional skinhead wear, just the other gender.
I've seen very few well dressed skinhead girls. Most of the time they're just wearing mens clothes.

It is a pity that no web search turns up pictures of girls of that time to illustrate what I'm about to describe. I am drawing on my memory of S E London in 1968 and 1969.

The thing about skinhead girls in the 1960s was that they were very feminine and very stylish. There was very little of imitating boys' fashions, with the exception of button-down-collar shirts (see below, usually Ben Sherman or Brutus short-sleeved). When a girl did imitate a boy - for example I knew one girl who wore a brutus shirt and Levi Sta-Prest trousers - she still managed to look feminine, in her hairstyle, makeup, shoes (that girl had a pair of small penny loafers as I recall), and the way she wore the clothes (the shirt, being waisted, emphasised her bust; and the strides fitted well to her hips).

The hallmark of a skinhead girl was the suit. Imagine the earlier style of the Jackie Kennedy Suit, but with a short skirt, mini-length, and in Tonik mohair by Dormeuil, or subtle Prince-of-Wales check, or (if the girl couldn't afford mohair) in Trevira. The skirts were fairly uniform in style, being plain, unpleated minis. The jackets were well-tailored and in several styles; they could reach down to the hem of the skirt, like a frock coat, or they could be waist-length like a Spanish traje corto, or anything in between. I saw one or two jackets which were "baby doll" line, but mainly they would be waisted. There was no standard pattern for lapels, and jackets could even be lapel-less. There was more freedom of style than in boys' jackets. Girls did not, however, wear boys' jackets or (as far as I can remember) jackets styled specifically to imitate boys'.

Suits would be worn perhaps with a Ben Sherman or Brutus shirt, usually of a plain colour and most usually white, though sometimes a check shirt; but as often a slim, fitted, round-necked, lambswool sweater would be worn.

Tights would usually be sheer and with a sheen, although sometimes white ribbed tights would be worn.

Shoes would usually be penny loafers, maybe with a rather clumpy heel, but always feminine in style. I can also remember a shoe called "Diabla" (can't remember whether it was from Dolcis or Russell and Bromley), which had a higher heel (but not a stiletto) and round toes - it was dark red, very stylish, very sexy - which came into vogue in 1969. I do not recall much, if any, wearing of bots or other boys' styles.

I do not recall any girl wearing a Fred Perry.

The way modern/revival skinhead girls have their hair is wrong. They have the general idea with the shortness and the wispy pieces, but it is put together wrong. The late 60s "centre crop" for girls, although based on a very short top and sides, was more layered toward the wispy side and back pieces. Importantly, the front fringe came over the face in an arch - that's a look I have seen no modern girl achieve. It was a very sexy style.

How would I fault modern/revival skinhead girls? With all due respect, thus: too belligerent, not enough style, not enough femininity, too much copying of the guys' look.

Like I said, a pity there seem to be no decent pics from, say, 1969.

KD-fens

Reaction score
I'm having a real hard time finding any images of the girls from the time, I have one or two but they aren't very detailed, or helpful... Here's a better version of the one you had originally quoted. I believe this girl is from Mexico?
2458078425_90468409fa_o.jpg

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A modern girl, but her look is pretty close, for all that. About the closest I have seen from a modern girl, although red was not a colour often seen.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Sure there are "skinhead girls", but for the longest time when I was in the scene in 80s-early 90s, it was a popular slogan that there was no such thing as skinhead girls, just a "skinhead's girl". I dont buy that, but it was sold quite a bit.
eh.gif
I've never given it much thought because, frankly, I could care less, but since it was brought up I'm kinda curious now how the feathercut originated. Def can't be a 60s thing, has to be rooted in the late 70s/early 80s new breed revival. But now that I think of it, I think the Jim Ferguson style section of 69-72 in Nick Night's "Skinhead" book shows illustrations of girls with a feathercut from that era. Granted the book isnt law, but it seems to be pretty accurate in how it portrays styles by each year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads