• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canon s90, best p&s?

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Grip looks like it might be aftermarket.

Flash shoe is the bracket that a flash unit clips in to; external viewfinders often use the same bracket as a mounting point.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by I<3Bacon
The exact pair of cameras I own. I can't think of a single situation where one of these two cameras won't cover it.

Exactly. I also just started playing with different prime lenses on the GF1.My 50MM 1.7f is now a 100MM lens. I've said buhbye to my DSLR.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the flash shoe viewfinder idea

I always lolled at the aftermarket grips...aftermarket grips makes it sound like they put an exhaust on their civic. That being said, if I had the camera, I would consider the grip.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care for the viewfinder idea - the great advantage of the S90 is that it will fit in the average pants pocket. Start adding too much **** and you might as well have a micro-4/3 or NEX-5 (none of which, ironically, make manual control as simple as the S90) with you.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
I don't care for the viewfinder idea - the great advantage of the S90 is that it will fit in the average pants pocket. Start adding too much **** and you might as well have a micro-4/3 or NEX-5 (none of which, ironically, make manual control as simple as the S90) with you.

I think that is why they are putting it on a flash shoe rather than just gluing it on.

KenN

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, I assume that the main purpose for the viewfinder is to: (1) increase battery life by turning off the LCD screen, (2) eliminate glare that happens when using the traditional LCD screen in bright environments. Or is there another (more professional) purpose?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenN
Or is there another (more professional) purpose?

I've been told that holding a camera up to your eye to shoot via a viewfinder is more stable than using an LCD.

Makes sense to me.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
I've been told that holding a camera up to your eye to shoot via a viewfinder is more stable than using an LCD.

Makes sense to me.

its also that very action that makes potential subjects camera shy.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best street camera I ever owned was a Rolleicord - looking down into a viewfinder was less intimidating to passers by.

I tend to favor shooting from a low position like that anyway. When you're six-foot and up, the camera is above most people's heads.

corey.m

Reaction score
Oh, apparently the S90 was discontinued last week.

I think the Voitlander mini finder would be a nice match.

minifinder1.jpg

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by corey.m
Oh, apparently the S90 was discontinued last week. I think the Voitlander mini finder would be a nice match.
minifinder1.jpg

ooh that would look good if you could get the flash shoe to look somewhat professionally installed. Too bad about the discountinuation (though there should still be a fair amount of old stock and this could mean DISCOUNTS!). I can't believe they won't try to follow this up with a similar camera considering how well this camera did. edit: just found out that that viewfinder costs more than the camera
facepalm.gif

corey.m

Reaction score
Rumour has it that a S95 will be released with the following specs:

Backlit 1.17" CMOS sensor
10 MP
HD Video
Minor ergonomic changes

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by corey.m
Rumour has it that a S95 will be released with the following specs:

Backlit 1.17" CMOS sensor
10 MP
HD Video
Minor ergonomic changes

What does this mean? Is that a huge improvement over the S90?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got work to buy me one today - so far all we're really seeing about a replacement are rumors, there's been no official discontinue notice from what I find.

of those specs - HD video might be important to some (I don't care), the megapixels don't change, ergonomics are fine on the S90 (probably better with a grip). Big change is the backlit sensor - should improve low-light performance (S90 is already pretty good, no quite on par with my old D70 @ 1600 but I wouldn't be averse to 8x10s), but I've heard that these sensors have a tendency to bloom light sources, which could suck.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I am quite, quite amazed at the performance of the S90 in low light conditions. True, dSLRs do it better but they're in a whole different league.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads