• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tips on Spotting Fake Rolexes

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
Never had a dad. We were so poor, we had card board boxes as furniture and milk crates as chairs... Enough said.

Cardboard? Luxury!

When aa were a lad we dreamed o' cardboard!

corey.m

Reaction score
paying $1300USD for a fake?
facepalm.gif

That has to be either really stupid or really smart (if you can turn it around and sell it to a watch shop for many times that
laugh.gif
)

Most people in the fake communities share your view. Some people see it as a good alternative for a watch that was in very limited artificial supply for some time (not any more) and are willing to pay.

See if you can spot any defects.

1111xk.jpg

1112yr.jpg

1113k.jpg

1114j.jpg

1115g.jpg

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by corey.m
Most people in the fake communities share your view. Some people see it as a good alternative for a watch that was in very limited artificial supply for some time (not any more) and are willing to pay. See if you can spot any defects.
1111xk.jpg
1112yr.jpg
1113k.jpg
1114j.jpg
1115g.jpg

That is a fake?
confused.gif
looked pretty good to me, but i have zero idea about pannies b/c they are always man for big guys with big wrists.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most people in the fake communities share your view. Some people see it as a good alternative for a watch that was in very limited artificial supply for some time (not any more) and are willing to pay.

See if you can spot any defects.
1115g.jpg

The finishing on the movement loooks wrong.
Also the use of blued screws on the big winding gear thingies looks wrong.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that a PAM 111?

The only thing that stands out to me is the pin holding the lever for the crown, which looks different than expected from both sides. I don't know if that means anything or not, though.

corey.m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
The finishing on the movement loooks wrong.
Also the use of blued screws on the big winding gear thingies looks wrong.

I think it's just the macro shot with some sharpening in post processing that is making the Côte de Genève finish look a little different. The screws aren't blued.

Here is the genuine 6497 next to the common fake 6497. The two problems are the gap next to the incabloc and the Officine Panerai text is a bit off.

dsc03900.jpg

junior varsity

Reaction score
the faux movement has the same bpm as the original ?

corey.m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
The only thing that stands out to me is the pin holding the lever for the crown, which looks different than expected from both sides. I don't know if that means anything or not, though.

Yes, 111H.

That's a common flaw with the fakes. The crown guard pin is often too high and rounded from the replica factory. It should be flat, flush or a little sunken. This one is okay in that respect, but it could be pushed up a little.

corey.m

Reaction score
the faux movement has the same bpm as the original ?

Better
redface.gif
21000 vs 18000 IIRC.

QC is pretty bad though. It's not uncommon for them to completely **** themselves.

LUBE UP

Reaction score
No way does sapphire crystal cost anywhere close to 300USD a piece unless it's been kissed by Jesus himself. Omega must be making profits close to a thousand percent if that's what they're charging for it.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
paying $1300USD for a fake?
facepalm.gif
That has to be either really stupid or really smart (if you can turn it around and sell it to a watch shop for many times that
laugh.gif
)

Really smart. He's paying $1300 for an item that has the exact same "benefit" as a $6000 item.
Here is the genuine 6497 next to the common fake 6497.
Boy, if that picture doesn't sum it all up. I am still laughing. Either you want to pay $13 for a burger, or you insist on paying $456. Pointing out that the $13 burger has 1 less sesame seed is worth the difference to some, and not to others. Live and let live. This is a religion.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Really smart.
He's paying $1300 for an item that has the exact same "benefit" as a $6000 item.

Boy, if that picture doesn't sum it all up. I am still laughing.
Either you want to pay $13 for a burger, or you insist on paying $456.
Pointing out that the $13 burger has 1 less sesame seed is worth the difference to some, and not to others.
Live and let live. This is a religion.

yeah, like i said. Each their own.
I think it is stupid to buy a shoe thats almost the price of a real watch.
It does exactly the same function as any shoe from Allen Edmonds or Ferragamo
(i was going to say payless, but this is styleforum)

corey.m

Reaction score
One more post on this topic. Check out this thread on Rolex Forum. It's a bit of a mess, but there is a $300 fake fooling all the internet experts and the admins shot down the one guy who pointed out the flaws. Don't trust the members of TZ / WUS / RF what ever. They don't know what to look for and the community tries to sweep this issue under the rug. More of the story here and here.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more post on this topic. Check out this thread on Rolex Forum. It's a bit of a mess, but there is a $300 fake fooling all the internet experts and the admins shot down the one guy who pointed out the flaws. Don't trust the members of TZ / WUS / RF what ever. They don't know what to look for and the community tries to sweep this issue under the rug.

More of the story here and here.

Interesting read, but way too many posts have been spaminated so it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

adidasfan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
Setting aside the fact that you're a fool for paying $5000 for a real Rolex... (or just wealthy and bored)

My friend bought a few high quality replicas ($300+)
He took them to Tourneau and they were not able to tell the difference.
Even after opening them up, it was not entirely obvious.
Without opening them up, the salesman said it was impossible to tell.
This is how good the highest quality fakes are.

And if they're $300, you should ask yourself why you're paying $5000 for something virtually indistinguishable.
The money might is better spend on quality shoes, tailoring your clothing, and unique/stylish accessories. (or a therapist)

where can we find these $300 fakes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads