• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kodachrome

EnglishGent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
I suggest you save you film and donate it to real photographers instead of compulsively wasting it .

I suggest you save your bandwidth and donate it to the real posters instead of compulsively wasting it.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EnglishGent
I suggest you save your bandwidth and donate it to the real posters instead of compulsively wasting it.

OK Humpti-dumpti i will.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nantucket, have you tried Ektar yet? I'm still shooting 400NC (it's what I've always shot), but the whole "finest grain ever" thing is a little intriguing.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Here are some Ektar photos. These are straight commercial scans without any post-processing. Ektar has a color palate very similar to that of Kodachrome, but the color balance is better under most artificial light sources.

And yes, I have shot thousands of frames of 400CN. Possibly my favorite B&W film ever.

3282267463_1c3408afe1_b.jpg

Leicaflex SL2, 35 PA Curtagon

3270244301_3298df05fc_b.jpg

Leicaflex SL2, 35 PA Curtagon

3270918344_2da09dd834_b.jpg

Leica MP, 50 Summicron

3501921951_d95a89c97b_b.jpg

Leica MP, Apo 90 Summicron Asph.

3516876311_674a49ec99_b.jpg

Leica R8, 24 Elmarit

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Here are some Ektar photos. These are straight commercial scans without any post-processing. Ektar has a color palate very similar to that of Kodachrome, but the color balance is better under most artificial light sources. And yes, I have shot thousands of frames of 400CN. Possibly my favorite B&W film ever. Leicaflex SL2, 35 PA Curtagon Leicaflex SL2, 35 PA Curtagon Leica MP, 50 Summicron Leica MP, Apo 90 Summicron Asph.
3516876311_674a49ec99_b.jpg
Leica R8, 24 Elmarit

Nice.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just bought 50 rolls of kodachrome from dwaynes the other day

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
i just bought 50 rolls of kodachrome from dwaynes the other day

Congratulations. That's enough to last you a while. Have you ever shot it before?

I've just had them ship 96 rolls to me and bought 40 rolls of Kodachrome 25 previously on Ebay. That should be a decent supply for the next year and a half.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
does ektar=ektachrome?

my local camera store carries and process it, would this be the next best thing to kodachrome?

i know it like kodachrome is color reveral film [right?], which provides more saturated colors [right?]

also, any other similar films i might try that are readily available and easy to process.

i hate that i missed the boat on kodachrome, i wish i'd have been interested in photography when it was still widely available.

robbie

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ektar is a color negative film (process C-41).
Ektachrome is a color reversal/slide film (process E-6)
Kodachrome is a special process that is unlike either - you're generating color with silver deposits rather than dyes, I believe.

Whether Ektachrome is the next best thing to Kodachrome, hard to say. No slide films match the exposure characteristics or color palette of Kodacrhome, that's a large part of why people are willing to drop ~$35/roll all told to purchase and process.

Kodak and Fuji both make lines of E-6 films that vary from muted tones to unnatural colors (Velvia, I'm looking at you). I was a fan of Fuji Provia in my film days.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Hitler gets the news about Kodachrome.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

That's one angry fuehrer!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly, Kodachrome is effectively no more. Here's an article from the "Australian" newspaper (via AP) about the very last roll of Kodachrome and how it was used by Steve McCurry: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/trav...-1225900420304 McCurry's comment on looking at Kodachrome slides that he had shot in the late 1960s and early 1970s really resonated with me:
"Imagine leaving digital images in a hard drive and coming back 40 years later. Would anybody be able to read that data? That's the great thing about film. It's a self-contained object. You hold the picture up to the light and there it is."
I think that it's a very legitimate concern. I have a Nikon film camera and I've shot Kodachrome and Ektachrome in the past but - for convenience, mainly as I have two young kids - I tend to use digital cameras nowadays. It does make one think, however, about how digital images will be stored in the future - what will the preferred format be, will we still be able to read images stored in older formats, and so on? Disc degradation is a real concern, too.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
That article is very misleading. Just because McCurry was given the last roll cut from the last master roll Kodak produced doesn't mean the very last roll of Kodachrome ever shot has been shot.

Dwayne's will be processing Kodachrome until December 31st, so there's still time to shoot it. The actual last roll of Kodachrome will be the last one processed.

I've still got several months worth in my fridge and three cameras loaded with it, one of which I have with me at this very moment. Last roll of Kodachrome my lily-white ass!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads